King Henry of Galway (Part 1) šŸ‘‘

I hear ya :joy::joy::joy:, ya apparentlyā€¦ Savo in fairness to him was and still is a serious club man. He had some great days in the maroon and white

Heā€™s dropped a few short!

Iā€™ll have to take your word for it.

A serious player for Galway and Cortoon.

Thatā€™s definitely not correct, I watched him score off his left and right against Derry in 2001. Iā€™m sure he scored in the drawn final in 2000 as well. I had the pleasure of marking some of them forwards at club level a few times back then, trying to watch his movement would leave your head in a spin.

2 Likes

As I said Iā€™m not sure. I know he never scored in any of the finals anywayā€¦ Nice lad off the pitch tooā€¦ No more than yourself would have played with some of them and against all of them at some stage

Ah Iā€™m not sure youā€™re right there?

Jaysus a quick search shows you might actually be right.

I thought he scored against Derry.

Not acc to Wiki anyway, but he didnā€™t shoot the lights out, thats for sure.

Iā€™d say he definitely scored in Croker but canā€™t think of him scoring in an All Ireland Final, definitely didnā€™t score in 98 and of course missed the vital chance against Kerry in 2000.

30 seconds in there and you will see him kick one over with his right, he got a couple off his left as well that day. A quick look says he scored a couple in the 2000 final the first day, and the semifinal that year against Kildare too. 20 years later and them clips are still enjoyable to look at.

5 Likes

Hard to believe Wikipedia isnā€™t trustworthy.

Cheers. I was sure he had alright.

Jesus Michael donnellon was something special

6 Likes

He was incredible, Iā€™m after watching the 2000 semifinal highlights against Kildare there as well and it has a few pieces of genius from him including a free off the ground from 55 yards. County forwards now are stronger than them lads but in terms of footballing ability they would still be among the very best today.

7 Likes

There was twenty minute patch against armagh in 2001 at the start which was the best football o saw that team play. Like watching brazil.

2 Likes

I remember drinking a bottle of buckfast with my mates before this game, before joining my Dad in the old Nally Stand.

A really good game and Derry should have put us away. Declan Meehan was unbelievable that day.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t Armagh complain that they only arrived at the ground two minutes before throw in?

Canā€™t remember that, but they played like it. Sound crowd though. Jesus i remember having a few pints before these games, always went with lads from school, pints were just nerve settlers as we loved watching them, they were unbeatable for a while. Hurling being a far more sombre, stressful, sorrowful, affair, bar the 2001 win against Kilkenny. 19 years agoā€¦

3 Likes

They really were joyful team to watch. Of all the teams, across many sports that I have watched and supported over the years, they were the standout. The absolute dogs bollix. They were the anthesis to Mayo at the time with all their bluster and ā€œchristtt weā€™re sooo sauuvagley fitā€ mantra. Fucking spoofers.

When we win number 10, no doubt they will be the inspiration. Two titles probably didnā€™t do them enough justice.

Glory days.

7 Likes

IIRC they played both Cork and Armagh on the way to the final that year and played both of them off the field in the first half but allowed both of them right back into the game after half-time. I think Donnellan rescued Galway after Armagh drew level by intercepting a pass and kicking the winning point. They should have been out the gap that day. Seriously gifted Galway side but they had these spells where they just took the foot off the pedal and relaxed during games.

Yeah and nearly threw both games away. Started like a train against cork in 05 too but then the life drained from them in the space of a few minutes and that was the end of that galway football for years bar a moral victory or two

I was lucky enough to make all the games in 98 and 01,the crowds that were in carrick in 98 and aughrim in 01 were unrale, spurred probably by mayos intermittent bravado.

1 Like