King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Correct. SODP scored a soccer like goal that day. Deserved to beat Cork. I remember Sean O’Domhnaill coming on as a sub. As far as I know he got married or was on a stag the same weekend, so he was either still pissed or very hungover and he had all the signs of it. I was seething watching it.

Only scrapped by Armagh in the end after blowing them away early on. Took a really good score from Micky Donnellan to save our bacon.

1 Like

Clancy got the winner, a cracker

I would respectfully disagree Flatty. I think Dublin would of won easier if it stayed 15 v 15. That Galway team were very average and achieved very little afterwards. Just look at the respective forward lines. Rock, McNally, Duff, O Toole were all very good forwards. Val Daly was the only Galway forward I would put in that bracket and he was only a young lad in 83.

Maybe you’re right. I’m remembering it from watching it on telly. Even as a gasun, I never thought there was much in the kick on the ground, and remember thinking at the end that we should have won it anyway. I couldn’t really understand the hullabaloo afterwards. Expected to lose, growing up in the west we always expected to lose. Hence 1980 being so utterly absolutely brilliant.

1 Like

It was awful stupid from Duff. It haunted him for the rest of his career so I suppose he paid a heavy price.

I loved that Galway hurling teams in the late 70s early 80s. They were like a breath of fresh air. Pj Molloy was a particular favourite but The Connollys, Sean Silke and Steve Mahon seemed like super heroes to me in their cool jerseys. I distinctly remember watching an AIF on telly around that time and as the Galway team emerged from the old tunnel beside the Canal End to a huge roar Michael O Hehir screeched ‘And here come Galway!!!’

I was too young to understand the significance of Joe Connollys’Muintir na Gallimhe’ speech in 1980 but listening to it even now would make the hair stand on the back of your neck.

6 Likes

Dunno was it against Cork or Armagh but Donellan had a free and gave a short one to O’Domhnaill expecting a quick return only for O’Domhnaill to let it through his legs. Donellan put his hands to his head, much like everyone in the crowd. Big Kev was some one man midfield operation. For all the talented forwardswe had we might not have won any only for him.

5 Likes

I remember Walsh came on against Kerry in the first final in 2000 after Kerry had scored the first 7 points. Galway were being cleaned in midfield and he had only one functioning leg due to his injury. He caught the first kickout he was in for and there was an almighty roar from the Galway crowd for the first time all day. He might have won 4 of the next 6 kickouts or something like that. Completely turned the game on its head.

2 Likes
Galway Footballers Homepage

18 mins ·

“Galway’s Greatest Football team from 1990 to 2020” has been selected by you

Thoughts?

1. Martin McNamara (Corofin)
  2. Kieran Fitzgerald (CorofinGAA)
  3. Gary Fahey (Killannin)
  4. TĂłmas Mannion (Monivea Abbey)
  5. SeĂĄn Óg De Paor (Clg An CheathrĂș Rua)
  6. John Divilly (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)
  7. Declan Meehan (Caltra)
  8. Kevin Walsh (Killannin)
  9. Paul Conroy (St. James’)
  10. Ja Fallon (Tuam Stars)
  11. Val Daly (Mountbellew)
  12. Michael Donnellan (Dunmore/ Salthill)
  13. Michael Meehan (Caltra)
  14. Padraic Joyce (Killererin)
  15. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)

Image may contain: 14 people

I dunno if any of the current team deserve a shout but I’d have Shane Walsh ahead of Conroy if pushed

Hes in the corner

Comer has been better than Walsh for Galway in championship football

:smirk:

Was looking at Meehan :man_facepalming:t2:

That forward division made me cum a little

1 Like

Was McNamara a good keeper really?

Meh

What a fucking forward line

Could Ja Fallon be moved to midfield , Shane Walsh to the wing Comer in the corner then?

1 Like

Did Michael Donnellan just move clubs because Dunmore got relegated?

No

Transcendant, almost unbearably so. I might have stuck Savo in ahead of Val Daly but Daly was just before my time and always had a soft spot for Savo even though he cost us an All Ireland at the millennium