King Henry of Galway (Part 1) šŸ‘‘

When Broderick was on top of his game he was better than Hayes, but Hayes was far more consistent. Broderick in full flow was a joy to watch.

3 Likes

Ah yeah in fairness no Ja and Mannion and Kevin Walsh on one good leg. Throw all those in at full fitness and they probably win it in 2000 as well.

Id say thatā€™s about it.

I reckon had we done it in 00 we wouldnā€™t have in 01. That traipsing by 'scummon in Tuam was a gift in retrospect

Broderick was never inconsistent, he was plagued with injuries. The one final he played in he was Galwayā€™s best player.

1 Like

Didnā€™t Broderick have a perfeclty good goal disallowed in 01?

He had but the ref had blown in fairness, the Tipp lads had stopped playing. Think it was David Forde who gave a lad a nudge before Broderick got the ball. Think he scored 5 from play, one bad wide but he was unplayable that day. He was great in the semi that year too.

By a long shot, he almost beat Tipp on his own.

He had a clear peno not given too that day. Ditto Joe Rabbite. Actually big Joe had several iirc, every time he touched the ball it was a free out

Ollie Fahy who had just come on.

1 Like

You are right about 2001, he gave a great display that day. He should have been in his prime in 2005 but only came on late in the game, injuries had him more or less finished then. Was 1997 his first year on the scene and he got an All-Star for his efforts against Kilkenny? It was a short career really and during a chaotic spell. Maybe its just because Hayes played far more games that I remember him being more consistent but I am sure Broderick had a few very quiet days in the jersey.

Iā€™m not sure youā€™re aware but referee pat o Connor had a wife who worked for South tipp county council and his own father was from tipp.

He had massive family and work connections to Tipp. How Galway never objected to him referring that game Iā€™ll never know.

To be fair I had convinced myself beforehand that heā€™d be a straight shooter under the spotlight on the big day. No such luck.

When you think back now it was only 12 years after 89, how the fuck they didnā€™t raise hell. As was said here before could easily done the double

Tipp are hurlings equivalent of White privilage, everything is structured to their advantage, no wonder they are so despised

Beagh Lives Matter

1 Like

@myboyblue, this poll is bullshit. Too many ā€œrose-tinted goggleā€ men being led by Broderickā€™s egg-and-spoon point, and forgetting he was never going to go to war for the team. Unlike Hayes. Have you alternative log-ins to help sway the vote?

2 Likes

I would never interfere with the integrity of a TFK poll. I would, as I would hope others have always done, look at those voting and make peace with the right minded people who stand along side your own belief.

Hayes was unrale. Broderick was flashes here and there. Hayes went to war. Over and over.

1 Like

2005 QF against Tipp was a great example of Hayesā€™ mindset. 5 points down to Tipp, well into the final quarter of the game, when he fucked Hugh Moloney out of the way and nearly took the net off its fasteners. His reaction after the goal had the place bouncing. Completely changed the momentum of the game.

3 Likes

Honestly think Broderick was an over rated hurler and got cut down here before for sayingā€¦ Never scored enough imo

2 Likes