King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Clearing the way for Davy. Very gentlemanly of them.

2 Likes

I wonder.

Fucking hell lads would ye just appoint him and let him get to work!

1 Like

Ye’re running out of time to prepare for the league match with Limerick.

4 Likes

This isn’t just a Galway related question, but is there a reason counties are struggling to find candidates who want the job? Has Covid led to less financial backing or made county boards less flexible?

Appreciate that the Tipp and Galway job are rebuilds and some may not fancy having to retire some really big names but a year is a long time in hurling and both sides should at worse be competitive in 2022 and kicking on in 2023 if they can get the foundation right.

We didn’t need to prepare for it last year mate.
We just started out averagely and we’re slowly dragged down by a Limerick person.

1 Like

He had ye hopping off the ground in the League but not even Alex Ferguson could hold it together with Galway for a full season.

Complete speculation on my part but is it possibly a sign of prospective managers knowing what will be needed in the coming season, seeing that the county boards are not going to give the necessary support, and saying fuck that I’m not setting myself up for a fail with this. Chickens coming home to roost for the more outdated of the boards?

Could be completely wrong.

1 Like

Yeah there could be some truth to that but by the same token the opportunity to management your county is a rare one all the same and quite likely a one time opportunity for the most part.

Even in a rebuild/down year for Tipp and Galway and given the relatively weakness of the rest of the chasing pack outside Limerick, they would still capable of beating any other team in the country all things being equal.

It is an honour and maybe these county boards are relying too much on that perspective, but prospective managers are looking at the gig and saying what would I take it on with one hand tied behind my back?

It’s not that attractive a job.

Joe gone, all their leaders and big men ageing and slowing down, and a fucking animal of a fanbase that won’t have the patience for a rebuild.

You’d want your head examined

Yeah but the lure of that league win over Limerick though…

3 Likes

I don’t really agree. But anyway, that’s not why candidates have ruled themselves out.

They engaged with the process and then stepped out. Clearly there’s something going on here and clearly the candidates are not enthused by what’s on offer from the county board.

I can’t believe they got rid of O’Neill after it

It’s more likely imho that the internal candidates all required the freedom to clean house across the entire underage and senior structure, to make it at least compatible with other hurling counties, and the county board refuse to allow them the laaaatitude because they feel threatened.

A traffic cone would have been as good on the sideline as O Neill.

7 Likes

if ye’re lucky the Galway county board might spring for one

1 Like

What’s the problem with Galway’s underage structures?? You were on about having to pay for the their own water bottles or something but surely this isn’t the basis for you writing off the entire Galway Underage structures? They always appear well coached and well organised at underage anytime I’ve seen them

Yeah, with a big Papa John’s written down the side

1 Like

always befuddled me how they’d win a few minors and you wouldn’t see one lad from those teams make the championship 15 after u20