King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Is that not a completely seperate issue though? In that the issue appears to be not bringing lads through quick enough or else the lads not progressing from ages 19 to 23 or whatever.

But at inter county underage from 14s to 17s and previously to 18s I’ve never seen a poorly prepared Galway Underage side yet

they might be well turned out for Championship but there may be no real enjoyment in it, nothing really done for them, only hardship, something happens underage to sour lads up there.

I think it’s a combination of the lack of joined up thinking as players progress through the grades, coupled with the lack of structure and support at each level. I could give examples, but I’ve been asked not to on a public forum.
I could compare and contrast the cork minor set up Vs the Galway one, and how the players and management are treated but again, not here.
I think most of the coaching is done by the clubs, who provide excellent quality year on year, but even at minor level now, other counties have raised the bar in terms of s&c, preparation, organisation and logistics. I don’t actually agree with any of it tbh, but basically ever since kk made it a semi professional set up, now pushed again by Limerick, you either go with it or fail.
I’m not too bothered which, once we are honest and open about it, but the county board from the outside seems distant, obscure and secretive. The new manager situation seems as good an example as any.

I went to college and was good mates with a good few talented Galway Underage hurlers. To be honest the cunts were mad. Stone mad for liquor. A wildness. I know that’s the case everywhere but I thought it was particularly prevalent with the Galway lads. Mad cunts.

2 Likes

I actually think this is an issue, not the drink as such, just lads have other things they’d rather be at. It’s a shame that to be competitive at IC level , a lad really has to sacrifice a lot of other things. Galway lads don’t seem to want to, and maybe that’s healthier in the long run.

you don’t agree with s&c, organisation and logistics? Doing things correctly shouldn’t be frowned upon

I think the balance needs to be right between the sacrifices and the enjoyment. All jokes aside, I think that’s probably the key element to Limerick’s current success at Senior level. All of the players speak about loving training, loving being within the group. They’re all best friends basically. That was never really the case previously, yes Limerick teams were close but nowhere near the extent of the current crop. They seem to enjoy it a lot and from speaking to recently retired players that is what they also miss the most. It wasn’t always the case, as The Dow has previously spoken about.

If it isn’t enjoyable, you’re fucked. Perhaps @EstebanSexface might be right in his previous post above

1 Like

if it is always a one way street in terms of commitment and expectation then it will only end bad

Winning makes it more enjoyable

2 Likes

Oh I absolutely think they should. There is no excuse for them not to be. If lads don’t want to give that much of themselves, then so be it, but that is a large part of where the manager comes in.
But, I think it’s a shame that the strength and size needed to successfully compete for the most part, has followed along the lines of rugby a couple of decades ago.

Wouldn’t be one bit surprised to see Anthony Cunningham or Mattie Kenny take this job yet.

2 Likes

if you get the environment right lads will want to work at it. you can’t be bawling at and cajoling youngfellas into doing it, a certain amount of it has to be driven from within.

Galway started the conditioning craze with the size of them in 2017 mate, with that Lukaz fella from the Rugby. You can’t go moaning because someone else has done it better than you

1 Like

I’m not moaning. You really do seem negative and bitter. I’m on the record as saying I don’t think Galway’s S&C is appropriate, but Galway were trying to get to Kilkenny’s level, and needed they felt the size and strength to match them. Limerick are on record as saying that they physically had to bulk up to compete.
It’s a fact. It’s also to my mind a shame, but it’s where it’s at.
You Limerick lads are all bipolar, and really don’t take criticism in any form, in fact, ye seek it out.
I think it’s due to a basic insecurity.

2 Likes

You have evidence of the breed of young lad that comes through Galway when you went up to chat to them and them laughing when you headed off. Thinking they’re Billy Big Balls having won nothing and then go out the following weekend and get hockeyed. A bit of humility wouldn’t go astray.

They can’t help it it’s the Galway culture. Same as Flatty crowing after Galway beat Limerick in the league.

No such luck!

1 Like

Davy is too busy farming & preparing for juniors arrival to be bothered with the hassle of dealing with Pat.

Ye Limerick lads again showing deep insecurity. It’s a shame as it is such a beautiful and great city.

1 Like

I get fierce stick for labelling them windy cunts. Apart from the two Cannings, David Burke and Daithi Burke we’ve done nothing but produce balloons for the last 35 years.

The surprise really for me was the size of them, not tall, but bulked. They looked like Connacht development squad, but they were significantly outpowered by cork.