King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Clarkey

Oh, he badly wants the gig, alright.

All the flim flam to the Wexford boys was rope a dope.

The abuse dished out by Ravy to Galway players from the Clare sideline and the Wexford sideline during recent years is also a factor in the mix.

Shefflin wouldn’t be in a position to do any better than SON did imo.

Ah he would har. The commute rules him out though I’d imagine.

O’Neills club record was as good as Shefflins……

Fucking Twitter striking again :joy:

Remind me how good BC’s club record was again?

Shefflin at Ballyhale was like Zidane at Real Madrid.

A ‘clap your hands’ manager able to get the best out of a team full of big talent and a few egos.

Galway would be a similar job in ways.

This has Eddie Brennan written all over it. The stooks in the C/B may get used to it.

Did Cody take his initial role in a County on the other side of the Island?

Tis terrible to see CLG na Gaillimhe become such a national embarrassment. Terrible, I’m telling ye.

1 Like

We are a list

Galway exited the Championship to a Waterford team who ran them ragged and ran the legs off them. Jamie Barron was the oldest player on the Waterford starting team that day at 27.

Galway started 7 players that day who were older than Jamie Barron - 4 of them in their 30’s and two 29 year olds. By half time it was 9 players older than Barron. A 30 something Johnny Coen and a 28 year old Adrian Tuohy were introduced by the half hour mark for two of the younger guns Sean Loftus and Sean Linnane.

Limerick had no outfield player over 28 in their starting team in the All Ireland Final. All bar Declan Hannon really were mid 20’s or under.

In modern day hurling terms, this is an old Galway team.

3 Likes

Remind me who the two 29 year olds were?

That was the bit that struck me in your post, I know now you are using Jamie Barron as the reference point but I still don’t think they are an old team, just they looked stale. Without looking into it much I don’t think they are any older than the team that won the 2019 All-Ireland.

Davy will get at least one good year out of the Galway lads.

Will he get Joe back involved is the question?

Its a tricky one. I’d say there is no better man to bring Joe back into it again though as a Galway manager.

19 winners - three 30 year olds (one turned 31 a few weeks later). Next oldest was 28.

1 Like

And they were three key men. Similar age profile to Galway then I’d say.

A good shot of that Limerick team is older than mid 20’s

Galway have looked tired and stale since about half way through the 2018 campaign. A rebuild probably needed to start in earnest after the 2018 final loss to Limerick. What’s followed is three dismal campaigns in 2019, 2020 and 2021 limping along with the old guard. By the time championship 2022 rolls around, if they’re still relying on a large cohort of the 2017 All Ireland winning team, you’re 5 years on from that.

Tipperary in 2019 only really had to go back two years for decent enough formlines to the 2017 semi final when they pushed their successors as All Ireland champions, Galway to the wire in a 1 point game. Tipperary in 2019 went for a very short term approach bringing back the proven Liam Sheedy to preside over the old guard. It worked beautifully for them first year with Kilkenny ambushing the Limerick side that gave them a 12 point mauling in the Munster Final. The trade off was probably two largely wasted years in 2020 and 2021 limping on with the old guard and passing on the opportunity for Liam Cahill and Michael Bevans to develop a new team around the U20/U21 All Ireland winning teams of 2018 and 2019.

11 Likes

Of the 20 that saw action last year against Waterford, 12 of them played some part in the 2017. After the 4 lads 30 or over already mentioned the next oldest in the side are fellas like Daithi Burke and Padraic Mannion who are 28, there is no reason why they can’t go on a few years. Players get wrote off very quickly in hurling these days, look at football and some of the best players in the country are in their 30s and have a huge amount of football played.
Whoever gets the Galway job will have the same challenge as those who went before him, get them all pulling together, get some consistency in performance and introduce a couple of new players each year. I don’t think its a case of having to tear it all apart and start again. .

1 Like