King Henry of Galway (Part 1) šŸ‘‘

Did they expect free room and board for 30+ of them?

Well youā€™d have given it, and Iā€™d have given it šŸ¤·

From a Hotel? For 30+? At short notice? Bidnez is bidnez. Twas a wee bit cheeky. And it not even a real sport.

Hardly dragging guests out.
Iā€™d have gladly let them. They put enough in.

1 Like

I wonder who they asked could they stay.

Indeed.
Iā€™ve always been of the opinion that if youā€™ve enough money already made, thereā€™s no point being stingy with it or worrying about it. Probably why you and I arenā€™t running empires**

**And lack of talent and bone idleness.

Iā€™d say its a fair bet if they asked a night manager to ā€œgive Pat a ring and see if we can stayā€, its unlikely heā€™d have made that call is all. Easier to offer them the 10% and take it or leave it.

Any decent SPG would have that wrapped up earlier in the day. ā€œHai Jacinta, give Theresa a ring there and tell her to ask her aunts counsins sister whos married to Pats young lad to sort out a few rooms there tonight for us. Lovely stuff. Another Blue Wicked there Sinead!ā€.

Good luck to Galway but I donā€™t understand the optimism with this appointment, apart from managing Ballyhale he has no other management experience and no intercounty management experience. A massive gamble.

Iā€™d broadly agree but he has been involved in successful setups, so know whatā€™s needed in terms of backroom etc. He strikes me as calm and thoughtful and Iā€™d rather have that as a player than the opposite. Iā€™ve a feeling he will be a great success.

1 Like

A miserable cunt. The sooner all ties are cut with him and his toxic brand, the better.

Would you come off it. What managers out there are not ā€œa massive gambleā€?

Galwayā€™s previous 2 managers (MicheĆ”l Donoghue and Shane Oā€™Neill) both had broadly similar management profiles to Shefflin. Both had won senior club AI titles as managers. Bothā€™s first intercounty gig was with Galway. Donoghue was a big success. Oā€™Neill youā€™d have to say definitely wasnā€™t. Was it that Donoghue had those players at their peaks or was there something more fundamental wrong under Oā€™Neill?

You just donā€™t know sometimes until they are in the job.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure heā€™ll be asked. I have my doubts that he will come back. Heā€™s injured again at the moment and hasnā€™t been playing for Portumna. The injuries have become a lot more frequent in recent years. But sure if his body feels OK after Christmas then who knows but I think he might stay retired.

1 Like

Oā€™Neill didnā€™t do that badly. He was unlucky in 2020 to come up against the Invincibles and ran them the closest of the whole lot.

2021 was disappointing but to be fair a good few of that Galway team have reached the end of the line really and itā€™s transition time

SONā€™s backroom team was poor, and there was very little management of the panel. It was a shit-show in 2021 by all accounts. The buck stops with the manager.

2 Likes

Its like when President Trump saved America from crooked Hillary. The delight comes from avoiding disaster. Iā€™ve never seen anything like it, the overwhelming relief that we werenā€™t dragged into the abyss.

4 Likes

A shaved monkey could manage that Na Piarsaigh team to an All Ireland.

8 Likes

Ultimately Oā€™Neill probably should have got Na Piarsaigh over the line against Cuala too.

1 Like

A fit Mike Casey and weā€™d have romped home.

2 Likes

King Henry will lead Galway back to the Promised Land

1 Like