King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

At one point he was thumping his chest with an equal measure of rage and joy.

1 Like

He is about 5”7 tops I’d say

Nah, I’d say the half a dozen balks Dunford got on in the first half off him were more to do with it. He really struggled with his his pace.

Sounds as if Galway, like Tipp are finding out that Minor,/Under 20 stuff in recent years was absolutely hopeless stuff and the players involved are miles off the lads who were breaking through a few years before them.

2 Likes

Sounds more like January hurling to be honest

2 Likes

The Galway minors in 2019 were 10 points better than anyone else in the country though. Surely those lads will come good in time. I suppose this is their big year in U20 now.

It’ll take a few years to condition these lads. We need patience.

1 Like

Ah the earlier start to the championship makes a fuck up of it all. Itll take a year to bed down lads in terms of conditioning.

I was looking at the teams there from the 2017/18/19 All Ireland Minor Finals and I’d say Darren Morrissey is the only Galway lad to play a Championship match yet. I’d day he’s the only one to play League even.

The rest would want to be showing something this year.

In fact from those 3 Finals, Morrissey, and the Cork trio of the much maligned Rob Downey, Ger Millerick and Daire Connery are the only lads to make any sort of breakthrough at Inter County yet. Hardly a stellar list.

Cody has probably given up on those Kilkenny lads that played in 2018/19 already.

1 Like

The great constant of CLG Gaillimh.

Eh about half of that Cork team is still on the Cork senior panel. Cork got plenty out of Minor team.

1 Like

Cork hit 7-22 against a youthful John Kiely side at this time of the year back in 2017. These things take time.

**CORK: Ger Collins; Conor O’Callaghan, Sean O’Leary Hayes, Eoin Roche; Aaron Walsh Barry, James Keating, Ger Millerick; Daire Connery, Diarmuid Linehan; Craig Hanafin, Liam O’Shea, Brian Roche; Evan Sheehan, Robert Downey, Brian Turnbull. ** Subs: Declan Hanlon for Diarmuid Linehan (39), Barry Murphy for Aaron Walsh Barry (46)

Are they? These guys are all now 22/23.

Its fairly underwhelming what they have done in the last 5 years.

Turnbull has been a disappointment. He looked electric at minor.

He got a bad injury to ACL. Very one dimensional, in that he can play corner forward and that’s it.

Collins and Millerick are established on the senior panel. I rate the two Roches highly, they were U-17 back then and I’d expect Brian in particular to kick on this year (he joined the senior panel last year).

After that, I don’t rate O’Leary-Hayes in the slightest, Downey is unfortunately too slow and Connery is entering into a make or break year.

Still if we get three established seniors from that group that is a good return imo.

1 Like

Was always too slow and too small, never looked built for senior inter-county. Sheehan was supposed to be the next forward from that age group but he is very injury prone and lost his pace.

Pretty fair analysis. Don’t rate Connery. Wants to hurl like Coleman without having the athletic prowess.

1 Like

King Henry doing a magnificent job of playing possum in the pre season games.

Henry learned more than any other IC manager at the weekend. He’ll be the better for it.

3 Likes