Landlords/Houses/tennants/cunts thread

Fair fucks. Iā€™d about 15-20k saved at that age and then I fucked off travelling. I was back up to about 15 when I went back to college in late 20s.

I lived

I pay tax.

1 Like

If they canā€™t afford to buy thereā€™s nothing to think about. But Iā€™d say youā€™d like to have your own place if you were settled down with a kid or two.
Anyway your plan is good but you probably wont get much for 150k within 15 miles of Cork City, if youā€™re handy at all youā€™ll save a packet.

Far from it. Borrowing to buy your family home is an eminently sensible decision if you can afford it. Especially in a country where the odds are completely stacked against long term tenants. The stress levels involved in raising a family in rented accomodation in Ireland is significant.

3 Likes

Of course heā€™d find something for that money.

If @caoimhaoin can do the donkey work renovating a property, he could turn an Old Cottage on an acre into a savage pad with another 100k spent. At 250k he could have a House far better then what mugs are paying ā‚¬350k for.

1 Like

Some lads obviously canā€™t remember or know the cost of borrowing money 30 years ago. We donā€™t realize or appreciate how cheaply money can be borrowed these days.

1 Like

I was hoping to have a similar amount saved 3 years from nowā€¦

Fact. You only need to go back 25 years and you could have been talking double figuresā€¦30 years 15% plus

3 Likes

The 20 somethingā€™s are generally quite an entitled bunch. Think the world owes them something. Want to have an engaging and fulfilling job and career, time to surf, write a blog, photograph their food, live stream their work outs, eat avocado and egg based brunches with their closed open minded pals who believe you can be whatever you want to be once it fits within their prism, snap chatting, instagramming, tweeting, facebooking, curating a perfect online presence and forget to plan a little ahead, make a plan, stick to it, do the shit jobs, stick at it, get the head down, make do, then wake up and throw a tantrum because for the first time in their lives they are told no, nothing is free and sacrifice is needed and delayed gratification is a necessary evil which they have missed in their immediacy social media bubble, mistake the natural human condition of worry and anxiety for mental health issues because outside of a toddler in Napies everybody has to carry some shit without dropping drama bombs

23 Likes

what type of successful civilised person lives in a town or even worse a city for that matter?
cop on to yourself

you continue to pay your rent pal like fucking jose in Gijon and his kids living in some squalor, lets see how things pan put for you for when after 20 years of handing over the majority of your wages to live in some tenement flat youā€™re hitting 50 with the realisation that it looks pretty bleak

1 Like

The thing is these days itā€™s not as if you are saving money renting (unless you are living in a house share or something). Itā€™s often cheaper to be paying a mortgage and at least 20 years down the line you own something.

3 Likes

it most certainly is
thatā€™s an excellent point in fairness
tenants have absolutely zero rights, you are at the mercy of the 12 month lease and a 30 day notice period, families renting in places around dublin are in serious bother, rents are skyrocketing, u have 2 kids in school, ure lease is up in march, you get a latter after xmas saying thatā€™s it, he wants to sell it or get you out, paint the jax and put the rent up 35%ā€¦ remember you stay there it can only go up 4%, why would he want to keep u in it, u could auction a house for rent in say maynooth, 3 beds going for 1800ā€¦ lads, people will pay 2250 right now out of desperation
, ure there paying your 1500 for a 3 bed semi rent, now if u want to rent in the same area you need 2000 a month, u want to keep paying your 1500 , well, you got a problemā€¦ change of address, problems with schools and registration,
people dont think shit thru

3 Likes

I own land mate. Iā€™ve a lovely three bedroom house Iā€™m in for the last five years with low rent.

1 Like

cracking post, bang on

1 Like

Yep. Lot involved in moving when you have kids. Serious disruption

Owning land is not the nest egg you think it is unless youā€™ve savings behind it.

Letā€™s say, the land is outside a Town or Village. Itā€™s value is minimal for Farming value or Property building.
If the land is in or close to a Zoned area then yes itā€™s valuable but if you think of Selling then the Taxman ( cc @caoimhaoin ) will have his cut.

The Rent youā€™ve being paying is dead money, pissed away and would have gone towards a Mortgage.

Also, itā€™s Limerick youā€™re living in Mate. :see_no_evil:

Thatā€™s a belter.

Howā€™s tricks, bro?

I need to collect the Xmas stash soon. :eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

Ah here, the land is in Lowry country. Zoning, schmoning :roll_eyes: