Landlords/Houses/tennants/cunts thread

Never had health insurance until I decided to get laser eye surgery about ten years ago. Aviva had some deal at the time that youā€™d get half of the cost back, together with your tax rebate.

Kept up the health insurance for a couple of years after, almost out of guilt as anything. Was about to ditch it - young, just started working, itā€™s a waste of money, Iā€™ll never need it etc - when I ended up getting carted into A & E one day unexpectedly. Ended up as a 10 night stay in hospital which came to 11k in total. Was covered so didnā€™t have to pay a penny.

Will never ditch the health insurance now. The one thing Iā€™ll never drop.

Iā€™d imagine if you are used to hopping out of one rented kip every 12 months and into another then youā€™d know no difference.
Same for adults sharing accommodation with strangers (housemates), a very very very strange and utterly weird concept to me but I understand not everyoneā€™s standards and expectations are the same.

1 Like

Youā€™d want your head examined to have health insurance in this country with any provider other than VHI. Iā€™ve followed in my auld fellas steps and renew it with VHI each year. Its due again now next week actually and its ā‚¬1200 for me on my own but Iā€™ll pay it. Iā€™ve a mate with no health insurance, even though he could afford it. Too mean. ā€œIf anything happened to you youā€™ve to wait for a bed whether you have insurance or notā€ is his reasoning but its awful foolhardy for a fella married with a mortgage (him). Like you, my uncle would be dead in the last few years but for he had good VHI cover and they sorted him out good and proper in jig time.

3 Likes

2016-10-18_opi_25577432_I1

17 Likes

:smile:

:smile:

@Rocko , the day has arrived, time to shut it down :open_mouth:

1 Like

Donā€™t paint them all with the same brush mate. Fellas likes these are expanding dairy herds, buying land, leasing machinery and taking over the world.

1316b699499b21406efd6fbe3eeceac6bb898df2_1_335x500

3 Likes

Those lads are winning at life. The women look blissfully happy.

Pity about the Tractor though.

2 Likes

I was paying about 15% on a car loan around 92-93

I donā€™t know that I agree with any of that. I heard that chap on the radio recently I think.

If you want health insurance to make sure you can access a consultant then youā€™re ok on the cheaper plans. You wonā€™t get Blackrock and you might have an excess and your room might not be brilliant (but thatā€™s a roulette anyway) but you still get to see a consultant, you get stuff paid for and you effectively avoid the public queue for out patient stuff. I had a shitty plan and like Fagan (though Iā€™d be a lesser loss) I wouldnā€™t be here without it.

Obviously the more you pay, the better the coverage and all that so if you can afford more it can be worth it. But thereā€™s a point at which it becomes excessive. And I think this chap is in danger of persuading some borderline people away from health insurance by making it more expensive.

Also Iā€™ve no idea what phoning up a provider is going to achieve. The plans and details are ridiculously complicated. Nobody is going to be able to decide on their best option over the phone. The comparison site maintained by the regulator is actually excellent. Takes a bit or research time to still figure out your best plan but itā€™s easy to use and very thorough.

3 Likes

Exactly. And the value of the house will keep on increasing. The bigger the house the better. Then you can borrow to buy another one off the equity you build up in the first one.

Snigger

:hushed:

I took a whole different approach to my 20s

5 Likes

well, we do know that you packed in a job and blew you money to go on the piss , then you decided to go to ā€œcollegeā€ in your late 20ā€™s , you have no stable income and reside in rental accommodation.
notwithstanding the fact that your partner was seriously ill recently , your errant lifestyle is clearly a cause for concern, you are now reaping what you have sewn

You live in fear

w.r.t. health insurance
unless you are an absolute parasite who has a medical card any fella taking the line of 'fuck health insurance" if they reside in the ROI is clearly either deluded or very immature and they have no experience of dealing with the public health system in this country if they or a loved one have / had an illness and were subsequently at the mercy of the system*

*(that post probably needs some punctuation)

2 Likes

im merely stating facts

Pal. Iā€™ve the guts of a deposit in a deposit account gaining interest.

My wife was not seriously ill. I told forumites what that was about at the time and have no interest in repeating it.

In short - up your bollix

9 Likes

I wouldnt be without my VHI and especially after seeing what happened with my father before he died where he had to wait 6 weeks for a scan and his doctor was treating him for a tummy bug for weeks. If he hadā€™ve had the cover he would have been here today. I believe if he hadā€™ve had health cover he would be here today because the doctor would have sent him to a consultant rather than treat him for weeks for a stomach bug.

1 Like