Landlords/Houses/tennants/cunts thread

Sure I am pal. Dont leave the forum again over me. I dont want that on my conscience. Especially seeing as I never realised it the last time.

how this is put up on twitter by supporters of the protest. ā€œdragged off the roof and almost killedā€. Imagine if there was a video of the whole incident.

I dont know the backstory here, but if it is a case of squatters being moved on, then this isnt in the same realm as heavies evicting a family who own a house onto the street.

2 Likes

If he included a flattering picture in the ad he could probably get a lot more than 25 euro a night.

Lol. How dare you ask for proof of my nonsense story!

3 Likes

I wavered between here and the things that never happened thread.

1 Like

Good man Tommy

5 Likes

RTƉ will never touch him after that. Fair play to him, politicians get it way too easy here on tv

2 Likes

Housing & Planning

ā€˜Iā€™m a homeless homeownerā€™: The apartment owner who is now couch surfing

33-year-old Jeanette Brown is unable to move back into her apartment due to the winter eviction ban

A 33-year-old landlord, who moved abroad for a year but has recently returned home, is couch surfing, and has slept in her car some nights, as she is unable to move back into her apartment due to the eviction ban.

Jeanette Brown bought her apartment in Dublin in 2017. The fashion buyer was recruited abroad in 2021, and accepted a job offer in Dubai, moving in July of that year.

She then rented out her apartment to cover the mortgage while she was living in the Middle East. In July she issued her tenant an eviction notice from Dubai but was told three months later the notice was deemed invalid due to a recent change to rental legislation.

By that time the Government had introduced a moratorium on evictions, meaning if a residential tenant is given an eviction notice by their landlord between the end of October and next March, the eviction will be deferred until April.

As a result Ms Brown is without a home until at least April, though she has concerns the moratorium could be extended further.

The Dubliner said the situation is not the fault of her tenant, whom she feels is also a victim of the housing crisis, but claims the Government should have made an amendment to the legislation to allow for genuine cases like hers.

ā€œItā€™s beyond my worst nightmare. Every morning, I have to get up and check my phone to see if there is somewhere available for me that evening. Iā€™m in my auntieā€™s now and Iā€™ll probably be in my nannyā€™s next week or the week after,ā€ she said.

ā€œThe auntie that Iā€™m living with today has a son who has a girlfriend. When heā€™s in his girlfriendā€™s, I have a bed. When thatā€™s not viable, I get in touch with other people. People have their own lives, when youā€™re there with all your clothes and all your things, overcrowding comes with massive tensions.

ā€œIā€™m after doing all the right things in life. I bought a home, thereā€™s not a day I havenā€™t worked since I was 18 or 19. I pay my taxes and do all the things Iā€™m supposed to do. I donā€™t want to be a landlord. Theyā€™re making me homeless. Iā€™m living off the grace of other people at the minute.ā€

Ms Brown said she regularly scrolls through Daft.ie to try to find her own rental accommodation. However, she said has been unable to secure a lease.

ā€œThereā€™s nowhere to rent. You can almost count on one hand what comes up. I donā€™t hear back from the people advertising the properties. And also, thereā€™s just nothing within my price bracket. Thereā€™s a lot of high-end stuff, in Dundrum, Ranelagh or Rathmines, but theyā€™re three, four or five grand a month,ā€ she said.

Ms Brown said she is among the hidden homeless, earning too much to avail of State supports, and ā€œfalling between the cracksā€ of the various services.

ā€œIā€™m an avoidable case. Iā€™m in the hidden homeless figures because I donā€™t fall into any bracket. I canā€™t go on social housing. Iā€™ve contacted the homeless services because I just need someone to talk to. Thereā€™s a vacuum created. I am a homeless person who could afford to rent, but there are no properties available and I canā€™t live in my own home,ā€ she said.

ā€œI left my country that I love for one year, and now Iā€™m locked out of my home. Iā€™m left in a heightened state of anxiety with no home and trying to figure out where Iā€™m going to sleep every evening. Iā€™m a homeless homeowner.ā€

Ms Brown has contacted the Minister for Housing Darragh Oā€™Brien about her situation on a number of occasions in recent months.

A response from the Ministerā€™s private secretary last Friday said: ā€œUnfortunately, it was and remains necessary in these uncertain times to strengthen tenancy protections for tenants including for reasons of supply and affordability in the sector. As set out in the previous reply, the Government did seek to balance the interests and tenancy rights of both landlords and tenants under the Act as a whole.ā€

Asked about Ms Brownā€™s situation, a spokesman for the Department of Housing said the aim of the legislation to defer terminations is to ā€œmitigate the risk that persons whose tenancies would otherwise be terminated during the winter would be unable to obtain alternative accommodationā€.

ā€œThe Act has been carefully calibrated to limit its interference with landlordsā€™ constitutional property rights. The Government recognises and appreciates the key role of landlords in providing much-needed accommodation and the pressures on some landlords on foot of the cost of living crisis,ā€ the spokesman said.

1 Like

Perfectly timed

Something not adding up here. She obviously didnt serve the initial notice properly.

I work with a fella in a similar boat.
Bought a house in Kildare in August, fella was living there. Gave him notice, til Jan I think now thatā€™s pushed til April. Your man has some kind of disability and is only paying 1200 for the rent on the 3 bed. Good luck getting similar in Kildare on that price range so getting him out in April might be easier said than done.
Youā€™d want your head examined to have anything to do with being a landlord accidental or otherwise

2 Likes

The smart fellas got out of the game years ago

The estate agents will tell you that all of the amateur landlords are getting out of the game.

This fella bought the house for himself and the missus. Not a landlord just has to twiddle heā€™s Mickey til he can get access to what will be a family home

Youā€™d want your head examined (or a sizeable discount) to buy a house with a tenant in situ.

6 Likes

Nuts.

Iā€™m surprised a solicitor (or bank) would let you do it

1 Like

I understand estate agents advise itā€™ll take up to 20% off the price, I assume thatā€™s why he bought with tenant in situ. If the lady abroad in Dubai had served valid notice she wouldnā€™t be in this position, itā€™s hard to see what she wants done for her.

I saw somewhere that the reason it wasnā€™t considered valid notice because if was witnessed/notified by a solicitor in Dubai instead of Ireland.

That combined with an impromptu law change did for her