Laochra Gael - Back, and to the left hand on top

I hear gary kirby lost an arm

2 Likes

And maybe also some verbal intimidation that was more prevalent back then.

Ah please don’t be mean to me…you know what I meant. Back then lads just stood in their position & it was man to man unlike all the movement, zonal & systems shite these days.

1 Like

Well we weren’t overly successful at the man to man (probably too nice) so God bless the zonal/systems shite

1 Like

Was SON the fella who kept kicking the sliothar?

That was the brother, Owen.

Yes , socks up timber merchant in midfield

Ah right. Hurl was only a hindrance to that fella

1 Like

By God he could kick it though

Unmarkable. Always wondered why more lads didn’t kick goals, impossible to mark. The forward bat action has negated it big time too.

He destroyed Cork below in the Pairc one year and I’d say the ball barely touched his hurley. Strong as an ox, great paw, heart of a lion, zero hurling. Unreal effective.

2 Likes

He tried it on with George O’Connor before throw in at the '96 final and got his answer fairly lively.

2 Likes

Yeah he ended up on the ground fairly comically alright; head wasn’t far from where O’Connor pulled

The other O’Neill mentioned got a some batein in the Gaelic grounds in 1996, the day of Carey’s famous score .He went in on Davy once or twice and the Lohans bet him up on the way back out .brian particularity roughed him up a few times . He was gamey though and kept coming back for more.

Laochra Gael with Terence ‘Sambo’ MvNaughton at the moment.

I saw it when it was originally broadcast.

The best one ever. Fantastic story of a brilliant player who is probably unknown to youngsters today due to him playing for Antrim.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/mlverney/status/1746873377258688557?t=KRGSxwz_YegcICWQlG9heQ&s=19

1 Like

Fascinating insights? “Ya shure, ya know yourself”

3 Likes

Laohra Gael totally devalued itself as a programme when they did Ryan O Dwyer.

14 Likes

If I have trouble sleeping I’ll throw on the Pat Critchley one

3 Likes

Eight outstanding Gaels. Eight remarkable personal stories. “Laochra Gael” is back on TG4 at 9.30pm on Thursday, January 25.

• Programme 1: Richie Power, January 25
  • Programme 2: Tony Scullion February 1
  • Programme 3: Lindsay Peat, February 8
  • Programme 4: Tony Griffin, February 15
  • Programme 5: Alan Kerins, February 22
  • Programme 6: Pat Critchley, February 29
  • Programme 7: Ciara Gaynor, March 7
  • Programme 8: Kevin Hughes, March 14

Nice to see Critchley be recognised. Sadly there is a fair degree of tragedy in his story, even in recent years, but as a positive a human as you are ever likely to encounter. I believe he has turned this down a few times in the past.

1 Like