Laochra Gael - Back, and to the left hand on top

Magnificent thread.

Looked atrocious last year, came on in the semi-final when McNamee was black carded (incorrectly) and it had a huge impact as he was taken to the cleaners by Geaney.

Looked excellent in 2012 and 2013 when he broke onto the scene, seems to have put too much muscle on now though and doesn’t seem agile enough to be a man marker in the full back line. Perhaps his future lies further out the field or in a sweeper role. He got hooked by Omagh halfway through their Championship exit to Dromore so he seems to be struggling badly, hopefully it’s just ring rust though.

1 Like

Kerry have been in the top 3 for the last 20 years. There’s 2 maybe 3 teams at most that have any kind of a chance of beating Kerry in any given year so you’re on a loser with this last 12 safe passage nonsense. Bottom line if Kerry lose its invariably to a top drawer side. The only Kerry defeat you’d mark down in the qualifier era as a big surprise/careless is the 2010 loss to Down.

You’re now nit picking about the manner of Kerry’s qualifier wins in 2009 (a Kerry All Ireland winning year) when they didn’t have this safe passage to the last 12 and had to go the long way through the qualifier route. Kerry coasted through those games against Antrim, Sligo & Longford in about second gear. There was undoubtedly a touch of complacency there but they emerged unscathed. We’re talking about a county with 37 All Ireland’s and 70+ provincial titles facing three counties who’ve never won an All Ireland. At provincial level, that trio are also rans - Sligo have only ever won 3 Connacht titles, Longford 1 Leinster title in 1968 and Antrim haven’t won Ulster since 1951 and have only been in two Ulster Finals since then. When the serious business started in 2009, Kerry blew away All Ireland favourites Dublin by 17 points in the quarter final with a magnificent display of football.

When Kerry have found themselves against sides in the qualifiers who were perceived to be a big threat, they’ve blown them away - 15 point win over Fermanagh in 2002, 8 point win over Kildare in 2008, 10 point win over Tyrone in 2012.

1 Like

they are top 3 because they get a bye into the semi finals

1 Like

was only think that …how many of the 2014 featured in this year’s senior championship ?.. can’t remember any off hand…I’m sure a few got runs somewhere along the way?

None featured on the championship squad but a good few backboned their junior team.

wow !..bit strange not one made it…

Fairly sure a smattering were in and out of the training panel at times. But these past 2 years, the Kerry Junior team has been turned into a Development Panel with the aim of preparing them for the step up. I’d imagine there’ll be some at the bottom end of the panel shipped and others drafted in over the Christmas and some will see action in the new year.

Not really? You don’t see many lads under 19 playing inter county anymore. Anyway the best of that team was probably still minor this year.

so that would suggest that Kerry are producing players to play in systems to win minor as opposed to any real individual stars?..I’ve seen fcuk all of them two minor teams to be honest but would have thought thee was at least one Mcbrearty or Kilkenny somewhere amongst the 2014 crop that would have gone straight in…

Curious statement which doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

Kerry have played in all 15 quarter finals since their introduction in 2001. They’ve won 13 of 15. Granted there has been a few turkey shoots against the likes of Roscommon, Cavan, Limerick and Kildare this year, but there’s been a lot of awkward quarter finals for Kerry over the years. They’ve have to face Dublin in the quarter finals on three occasions, All Ireland champions Galway in 2002, Galway again in 2008 (with Michael Meehan at the peak of his powers), Mayo in 2005 (sandwiched between Mayo’s All Ireland final appearances of 2004 & 06), Armagh in 2006, a 1 point win over Monaghan in 2007, eventual All Ireland champions Donegal in 2012.

1 Like

your stats are meaningless here

That is an utterly ridiculous statement. Kerry’s depth is far better than donegals. They’d just won a senior all Ireland. Kilkenny was only fast tracked due Afl interest and a thug of war between the hurling/football squads.

I agree with you on those Minor teams, however i think tgere will be a transition of sorts. I have a feeling we may look back on 2014 as a kinda 1997 title for Kerry in time. You never know with the animals but i think they may struggle for 2-3 years.

Not really. No 19 year old these days, or maybe an extremely rare diamond, is up to inter county. Especially in Kerry or such places.

No they are very good footballers, individually and collectively. Dingle school has become the nursery the Sem used to be with Fitzmaurice there and now others. There has been some very strange occurences in Kerry in recent times with clubs like An Gaeltacht, Templenoe and Gweenevilla producing serious minor teams out of decemanted lands and parishes. Completely bucking the population trends in Kerry. But all 3 are being well looked after at schools level and its working a treat for them. Clubs help the schools and schools help the clubs.

Takes a few years for most be physically strong enough and to adjust for intercounty ball, smaller lads just get the shit knocked out of them.

Both were also particularly well develooed young lads. Stronger than your average 19 old.

Both now suffering with major joint injuries thougg which says it all.

Interesting to see how much action David Mulgrew sees for Tyrone this season, just out of minor and started the 2013 AI minor final when he was 15.

What have I missed on this thread?

Just a brief summary of what the argument is and who is winning will do.

Thanks