Laois GAA- bunch of hicks turning on eachother

Would he be of the standard? Limerick minors is hardly a great CV?

Mullins is with the Limerick minors right?

I think Derek is putting in the groundwork for the Wexford job. There will be a vacancy there next year.

Would Cheddar go again? He’s gone from the village. Would he get the Camross crew onside?

He’s young, ambitious and one of our own. If he wants it he deserves a word. Why not him instead of someone who has little or no experience, or someone who has journeyed the country picking up jobs here and there?

Wouldnt be fair to ask Chedd to go again. He gave so much the last time, and this would be his 3rd time stepping into the job. I’m not sure he’d have the stomach, saying that he’d soldier in a heartbeat if asked I reckon. He was the proudest man in Laois that Sunday we bet Dublin.

It might not be; but what was Brennan’s CV? A Leinster with the Kilkenny 21s & losing to Westmeath?

I think internal is the way to go if at all possible. Outside managers only think short term and therefore are generally short term solutions at best. I believe Dublin will be going internal next time and I hope that’s the case

Would Corcoran be viewed as internal :thinking:

I suppose he would considering the service he gave. He is a top man but more a coach than a manager I would of thought

Probably Brennan being higher profile stood to him. He fairly nurtures hsi media profile to keep him to the forefront of peoples minds. How would you rate Mullins with the Limerick minors last year.

Mullins did well enough with Lk minors . I don’t think he had a particularly brilliant panel but had a few great talents .

The last couple of years the Munster teams have been well below the standard of Galway and Leinster teams . Under 17 is hard to decipher though

Limerick minors would bate Laois

2 Likes

I rate him quite highly; even at club level, I think you could see a marked improvement in teams he was with.

I think that was quite a strong Limerick minor team last year but, still, did well with them. Disappointing loss to Kilkenny alright but better managers than him have had teams under-perform in big games too.

Obviously being a Laois native is something in his favour too. I would have said he’d be in line for other Limerick jobs in future. As to whether he’s ready to take charge of a senior setup, I don’t know that.

What would be the ball park operating budget of the Laois senior hurlers?

While some counties boards are really raising the bar in relation to commercial operations, revenue streams/fundraising and centralising stuff to get rid of wastage which is obviously a great development it doesn’t bode well that even with you are at nothing without philanthropy of a big benefactors you can’t compete consistently at the business end of things. It is going to make it completely unsustainable for a lot of counties in both codes and will surely only widen the gap between tier 1 and tier 2.

Offaly bet the Laois Minors, its nothing to get excited about.

The Limerick Minors would bate Laois seniors as well as their minors!

1 Like

Oh I know thats what he was getting at, but he could have at least worded it properly.

1 Like

:smiley:

Seething

Zen

Thats the way the game is gone now. I understand why Eddie wanted it driven on, but without the likes of the financial doping of Limerick, Galway, Tipp, thats going to prove very difficult to do.

And Cork and Dublin have the playing numbers and clubs to where the sheer weight of numbers just drive them on.

Even taking hurling out of it, if Laois were to produce another decent crop of footballers over a 4 or 5 year window it is very hard to see them being anything other than a side that treads water in tier 1 for a few years at best as the game is just more and more rigged to the bigger/established teams.

It is no coincidence that when we have a straight knockout championship we have two teams winning provincial titles for the first time in 85 years and the other for the second time in 50+ years and both teams were built of solid relative success at underage which is great to see yet despite being 2 of the 4 teams left neither have a realistic chance of winning the A/I.

What are the chances of Cavan and Tipp making A/I semi finals when we go to a league style two tier championship

1 Like