Laois GAA- bunch of hicks turning on eachother

Aye, big John and Liam Irwin ruling the skies. John was unorthodox but he was a serious weapon. As nice a man as you’ll even encounter. Not your typical county GAA man shall we say.

2 Likes

Who be that lovely lady?

Aisling Donoher, nee Quigley, mother of Do it for Dan

1 Like

Willie Maher has put together his backroom team.

Eamon Jackman
Dan Shanahan
Sean Flynn

Shane O Sullivan
Cian Murtagh

Now lets hope he can get a few hurlers.

Laoismania

National Football League Division 4 2023

January 28/29 – Sligo (Away)
February 4/5 – Wexford (Home)
February 18/19 – Carlow [ :smiley: ] (Away)
February 25/26 – Waterford (Home)
March 4/5 – Wicklow (Home)
March 18/19 – Leitrim (Away) :pint: :pint: :pint:
March 26 – London (Away) :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint:

@Kid_Curry were you ever reffed by the late great John?

Who wasn’t?
Tuesday evening, one of our lads was telling me we were going out to play a junior league game one day and a young fella ran out before the game for the opposition with white boots, leggings under the togs and the hair bleached blond.
Conway just looked at him and says to our man “I can’t see that lad getting too many frees today”.

4 Likes

Ah thats brilliant! I was told more than once that “I had my chance to get rid of it and I shoulda took it”, despite having the head almost ripped off me. Many’s a time I heard the shout come in from the bank of “you’re fucking useless Conway” to which he’d always reply “you’re dealing with the best here, remember that”. It was hard not to like John, he was a sharp with a one liner the fucker. He was what he was, and he was some Laois man, and an even greater Kilcruise man. A serious footballer I’m lead to believe also, 15 or so years in the blue and white according to the Laois Today podcast, and a Junior medal won in his late 40s. Before my time.

A cliche, but we wont see his likes again am afraid.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m old enough to both remember him playing (in his latter years admittedly) and have played against him.
Even a couple of Killeen lads I know were fierce cut up to hear he was dead. I think they respected him more than some of the other Kilcruise members.

2 Likes

Na Fianna Óg play Crettyard/Spink in the U20B Football Final tonight.

Regardless of which side wins, there will be players celebrating back to back Laois U20B titles.

Fair pay to Aisling.

2 Likes

She’s a powerful woman

I dont know how anyone with a sick child does it, but her and Niall are different level entirely. To even go back kicking at all, let alone win an All Ireland and an All Star, all while he was taking Courtwood to a county semi final. Some people, some network around them too. And she never stops going. Incredible.

3 Likes

Anthony Cunningham going to be ratified tonight as manager of senior champions Portarlington. I’ve heard a figure of 60 grand mentioned.
Along with Jason Ryan in Graiguecullen and the Wall lad in Ballyroan Abbey, there’s at least 2 clubs (maybe all 3) going to be wondering what they fucked away all that money on come next October.

4 intercounty managers in the Laois SFC.

Box Office.

Cunningham, Ryan, Sugrue and who?

I was counting the Ballyroan fella, but I can see why you wouldnt.

As rumoured Ross Munnelly has stepped away. Probably stayed on a bit longer than he needed to, but you’d respect him as much for that as there’s been little or no glamour in representing Laois since Sugrue stepped away. Changed his game as the game changed, you’d never see the likes of him lining out at wing forward now in the modern game as he did when he lit it up in the mid 00’s. He had some brilliant days. Leaves with a huge amount of respect earned. There was never any fuckology from Ross, he played it straight and fair and didnt get involved in the cuntfuckery that came into the game in the mid 00s.

A good lad.

11 Likes
4 Likes