Leaving Cert Results

My sister was telling me one of the big pharma companies are taking in 100 "apprentices ", direct from school, who will go through a parallel education/work experience approach. Not for trades specifically but IT, Finance, project management, Supply chain management, engineering, sciences etc

Very interesting approach. I would definitely have gone down that road if available to me at the time I hated college and made an utter bollocks out of it tbh

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

One of the Big 4 in England are taking a similar approach I believe, or at least removing the requirement to have a degree.

Tho she won’t feel like it now, The niece is in a great position… Tell her plough ahead down route B and she will get back to route A all the better and more assured of herself. Like most teenagers, a setback can seem like the end of the world…but the sun will rise tomorrow and life will go on and what ever it was she wanted to do is not going anywhere, she is just taking the scenic route to get there.

1 Like

She did allright. Got 390 points but made a right Bollox of her coa form. Talked to my sister today and told her to calm down. Route be might take a bit longer but she’ll get there

Exactly. If anything you go to college to know what you don’t want to do and a couple of years from now she might be delighted she didn’t get what she initially wanted.

1 Like

Big gamble if you go that route and they were to close/let you go/make you unhappy. You’d be out looking for a job in a market that wouldn’t recognise the knowledge you might have. Effectively ties you to single employer, no real opportunity to take other roles in the same area in the jobs marketplace.

1 Like

“Now there is one outstandingly important fact regarding Spaceship Earth, and that is that no instruction book came with it.”
Buckminster Fuller

2 Likes

Could be best thing for her. Go do a Plc related to the course she wants to do. In that Plc she might learn that she doesn’t want it and could change her mind.

For some reason the sister wants me to come in at the weekend and have a chat with her over the options. Ive fucking g wrote more down in the last 7 or 8 hours then any student doing the leaving g cert. I think I have all the options available to he. The sister tends to panick and hubby tends to follow suit so they tend to turn to me in matters like this. I rang the niece, told her to go and get pissed tonight and we will have a look at it Saturday

2 Likes

All youngsters need a uncle/aunt like that. Can’t be good for her though if both parents are freaking out.

They’re not so much freaking out. She got a decent result (390 points) but I only found out tonight that they made a balls of the cao form. By the sounds of it, it’s completely retrievable. I’ll have a look at it Saturday

Sorted so !

Put it this way. It’s more sortable then the Limerick hurling is

Can you resubmit the CAO form if you make a balls of it? Probably too late now i suppose.

The CAO is closed, the offers will be out in Monday, no way to change it now.

I suppose that was how you got qualified back in the day and it worked pretty well. The requirement for a degree now before starting a training contract is merely a filter for the firms to weed out those who might not pass the exams

I’d be all for the apprenticeship approach if combined with college. Do a degree over 5 years maybe work 30 weeks study 20 or something like that. You’d have a far better 23 year old on on books than hiring a graduate. Could tie them for x number of years then like they do in the army in exchange for funded education

No different to doing an electrical apprenticeship. If you’d built up your college credits I’m sure they are transferable. Plus you have work experience. It’s not like you been doing nothing.

It’s Glaxo Smith kline is the company. I couldn’t remember

Don’t plenty courses get reopened if not filled?

No too late chief.