Leinster Hurling Championship 2024

Well done wexfordians.
I think this is the last year for the guts of this Galway side, and there is not a lot coming behind.
It may well be decade before we are competitive, though these things can change quickly.
Fcuk
:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Seen a young lad from Bunclody rob about 20 of Wexford sliothars in Walsh Park :joy:

2 Likes

Our worst performance since 2011 v Waterford and a similar level of effort. Just no plan no real interest. Two of our best players left in a two man full forward line and zero ball into them. Was there even a shot on fanning? Niland is an great free taker but doesn’t do much more. Leaving him as an extra man around the middle just gave full control to Wexford. Failure to bring lads through has us going back to touhy and Flynn, again and again. Johnny thrown in and didn’t get one catchable ball hit to him. He’d want his head examined to be flying back from a good life in New York to that. Will be the end of shefflin too thankfully.

A long time waiting so congrats to real Wexford supporters @Mac @Gman @Ralphie et al. @croppy_boy you said before galway would never beat Wexford you were wrong but I hope you enjoyed today. Living in Donegal I doubt you were at it which gives me some consolation.

God you’d be fairly sickened to have picked a foreign soccer club over your own county men and now have to sheepishly sneak back on the bandwagon and hope no one remembers.

4 Likes

That’s a lovely sentiment buddy. It’s a pity the likes of @Raylan couldn’t be happy to see an underdog have their day. All Wexford fans just hope he hasn’t choked on his tin whistle this evening

4 Likes

He cleaned up there.

1 Like

I’ve said it here before, any team starting with C Cooney and Niland is at least a man short to begin with. Then DO’S comes on and gets creamed.
There’s a duty of care to players and putting wisps of young lads out onto a pitch in todays game is irresponsible.
Anyhow, Galway are light years behind in player development. Last years Minor team got shown up in the final v a Clare team that would have given our u20s a good run for their money. Lack of physicality was mention on GBFM again today.
We are at nothing right now. 2017 team bunched and have their time served and nothing to fill in.

Congrats to the Wexicans btw

4 Likes

Darragh Egan was out on the pitch at Wexford Park congratulating the players after the game. Fair play to him.

21 Likes

Indeed. After the modest, humble and unassuming manner in which the Limericks on here have carried the crown as top dog these past few years, the last thing this place needs is a crowd of boastful Wexfords losing the run of themselves.

10 Likes

Amusing to think Galway have 2 KK man and Tipp man running the show.

I wonder is it sabotage?

1 Like

We wont be top dogs forever. We’ll enjoy it as long as possible

Liam Ryan took some chance on a yellow in the first-half when he just threw Conor Cooney to the floor like a rag doll. Eoin Ryan had an unorthodox but effective style. That Conor Foley point shortly after the red card was a real settler and lifted the crowd even further. Henry receiving the yellow card only stirred things further, yourself and @BruidheanChaorthainn had his managerial credentials figured out very early in play. Galway seemed to just resort to a rudimentary style of pumping it long in with the extra man, which I thought Mark Fanning dealt with brilliantly. I was laughed at here on Monday for suggesting we’d give Galway a good rattle but I knew they were nothing spectacular either as virtually all the knowledgeable Galway posters had noted.

As you said we probably could’ve won by more when you think of the controversy over the Conor Mac point/wide, a couple of frees that Chin could’ve nailed, that save by Fahy to deny ROC and Cian Byrne pucking an uncharacteristic wide in the first-half. I tell you something, *Galway have to go to Corrigan Park in Antrim and I would love it, love it, if we beat them.

*Assuming Antrim lose in the Nell.

Caught the end of the South-East post-match analysis in the car. Was it Ronan Fagan or Billy Byrne who had a pop at Jackie Tyrrell for saying there were only two teams in Leinster. Of course a hoarse Tom Dempsey tried to take the sting out of it and ruined a tremendous rant. “Well Jackie Tyrrell, what do you think of that?”.

2 Likes

Thankfully we won’t have to worry about it in our lifetime

To be fair the lad that creamed him is small in stature himself. But a great bit of stuff. Apparently Ursula reckoned it was only a yellow on the wireless. I’d need to see it back again but I can’t imagine it warrants any more than a one match ban for Carlow (A).

I don’t believe such a thing exists

I was primarily focusing on watching Celtic-Hearts on my phone for the first half of the hurling but was Daithi Burke left half back & Gearoid McInerney right half back all through? Their positioning of players was a bit odd, I felt. Niland is very accurate on frees but doesn’t contribute from play. We also have a good spread of players who’ve been “on the go” for a decade or more at this level but we seemed to have more speed & cut around the field. Also less naive than in previous games, especially when down to 14. We had players back around the “D” to pick up the breaks & Galway kinda played into our hands. But it was also good how we didn’t panic late on & worked some nice scores, like the Conor Foley one when we manoeuvred the ball around defence & into space. Delighted to have picked a good one for my one Wexford game of the season.

1 Like

To be fair, Donal O’Shea’s injury had nothing to do with being small. If Conor Whelan had get smashed into the head like that, he’d have been going off injured too.

1 Like

Conor Foley was very smart down by the sideline with about 10 to go. Just threw the sliothar into the stand to waste a few vital seconds. He must’ve learned from last week where it was audible that Rossiter was roaring at him to put the hurl up for that Gerard Walsh sideline cut that put Antrim ahead.

The Galway’s know hurling

Hurling = box office

2 Likes

Not sure how clever that was, as the line ball became a free under the rules these days. But unlike Conor Mc in Belfast last week, at least this time the free wasn’t pointed - think it was just outside Niland’s range & one of two late on that Fanning caught on his line.

1 Like