Leinster Hurling Championship 2024

There was another one like that standing near me at the replay in Portlaoise in 2013. A lunatic.

I attended the Kilkenny v Tipperary semi-final in 2002 on Hill 16, neutrally slightly in favour of Kilkenny but by half time had firmly switched to wanting Tipperary to win due to the demeanour of the respective supporters around me.

I hope u sent him home with his tae in a mug.

I was at that. If I recall correctly, James Shiner Brennan and Eamon Morrissey lined out for Dublin.

Yeah. They were both well over the hill. Shiners son is playing for Dublin Minors on Saturday.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s 90% of the hill for a dubs game

2 Likes

Never once had a problem with Kilkenny fans. Sat in front of Anne Downey even for the day we bet them in Nowlan Park 2022. I thought ā€œhere we goā€ cause I find hurling mothers, in particular hurling mothers whoā€™ve played Camogie to be insane. Not at all, sound woman.

1 Like

Kilkenny supporters think of Wexford as their younger brother and are quite protective.

Offaly peopleā€™s relationship with Kilkenny is now like a very close daughter-father relationship. It used to be like a wild son-worried father relationship.

3 Likes

I was on the Hill for the 2015 All-Ireland final. We were surrounded by fellas from Kilkenny who appeared to be smoking blunts at one stage. All of them turned around and commiserated with me at the end thinking I was a Galway fan. Another Kilkenny fan helped me to sneak into Quinnā€™s the same night.

2 Likes

The back story to that game was the defeat to KK in the semi-final in Croker the year before. We were ahead of KK in the first half, largely thanks to a Paul Flynn like topspinner from Shiner - but from the 65. Ronan in goals was mugged off. The game was held up for 10 mins or so due to late arriving crowd spilling onto and crossing the pitch. WX and Offaly were on in 2nd game and the narrative was we lost momentum while on top as a result of the stoppage.

In the second half PJ Delaney goaled off a mis-hit and Morrissey missed a peno for us. 1998 in Parnell was to be our payback and we were going to take them down.

I think they took us for 4-20.

Plus ca bleedinā€™ changeā€¦

1 Like

Can bet they were cheering when we bet Galway. They hate them being in Leinster.

Iā€™ve only ever been on the hill 3 times. For Ireland vs Italy in 08, ā€˜19 Leinster final andā€™ 19 AI semi final. Kk fans were sound to be fair to them at Leinster final. Mostly in their early 20ā€™s, harmless sorts.

1 Like

Fair play. Iā€™d forgotten all about that game.

1 Like

Kilkenny fans lose all sorts of rationale thinking at the sight of Tipperary.

They absolutely hate us.

3 Likes

They just want to be you

Thatā€™s mostly around the border areas Iā€™d imagine. Where Iā€™m from in South kilkenny less so. Yes you know tipp are one of the main rivals, but for me itā€™s a good traditional ribalry, not based on hatred or anything like that.

Not the case around Callan thatā€™s for sure. Every one in a row youā€™d have blaggards in from Ballingarry and Mullinahone for a dayā€™s drinking on the Monday. Blowing their horn until theyā€™re run out of the place.

1 Like

Itā€™s bizarre

I reckon at least a fifth of Callan residents are chipp cunts.
The cunts.

1 Like

Correct. 1998. I was on the South Terrace in Parnell Park. Immediately behind me was Kilkenny John Power who had been deemed surplus to requirements by manager Kevin Fennelly.

Word has it they were the ones who brought hurling to the area