Leinster Hurling Thread *

Kilkenny-Offaly and Wexford-Dublin double header on RTƉ on Sunday.

4 Likes

Fanning
Reck Ryan Firman
Foley Ā§ O Hanlon Nolan
O Keeffe McGovern
O Connor (J) O Connor Ā® Foley (K)
Morris Chin McDonald

Clearly wonā€™t start like that

1 Like

Sweet as a nut

I suppose Iā€™d like another half back and push Nolan on. Ideally Foley in mid field but the 2 Iā€™ve named there would be an immense partnership.

And no sweeper. Compress and create space.

I liked the cut of Firman in the league and think he was unlucky to be left out when Donohoe and Devereux returned to fitness.

Chances of Aidan Nolan being wing back to accommodate a St Anneā€™s midfield partnershipā€¦

Why not bro? O Keeffe is naturally an attacking mid fielder. Heā€™s wasted half back.

That was a grand little preview up until the bit where you called us cunts!

Keaney definitely out. David Treacy fit though he will be no replacement for Keaney. Iā€™d expect Cian Boland or Fiontann McGibb to come in. Boland can be a real livewire when fit but has spent the last couple of years struggling with injury.

I think it will be a physical defensive affair with both teams employing a sweeper. Sean Moran is very good in this role for Dublin as is Shaun Murphy for Wexford. While I was hugely encouraged by Dublinā€™s performance v Kilkenny I fancy Wexford to win a tight game. They are a year or two further down the road than Dublin and in Rory o Connor have a matchwinner that they didnā€™t have last year.

Swap Firman for Donohoe and McGovern for Murphy and Iā€™d imagine thatā€™ll be the 15 starters

This is championship pal.

1 Like

I was a Shaun Murphy advocate for ages but Iā€™ve been disappointed in how heā€™s played the role over the last year. Heā€™s quite passive and mainly holds a position around the D rather than actually sweeping from side to side and blocking off angles / passing options etc. Throw in a tendency to cough up possession carelessly through a sloppy first touch a couple of times per game and inconsistent distribution and it hasnā€™t been great stuff from him. I worry about our backs as a unit, even with 7.

Brian Cody gives due respect to every team when he speaks about them in the media but theyā€™ve Galway away in week 3 and Galway are on a bye this weekend. Surely the smart play at home to Offaly would be to make several changes from last Sunday to preserve some playersā€™ fitness/freshness and to get more necessary game time for Paul Murphy, Colin Fennelly.

There are real swings and roundabouts by virtue of the bye being in play combined with the home and away nature of the set up. Iā€™m happy weā€™re starting out at home (Innovate Wexford Park is a difficult place to come) but it wasnā€™t ideal to have the bye in week 1, grand with going to Offaly next up on the back of them having played Galway and Kilkenny the 2 previous weeks, rather Galway at home than in Salthill but tough to have Kilkenny away for our 4th game in 21 days while theyā€™ll be coming into it off the bye.

Has your back injury settled down? The concrete benches on the open terrace in Wexford will do you the power of good despite having no back support.

How is liam og McGovern going

Returned with his club in a Junior B game around two weeks ago. Might be ready to come off the bench in a few weeks but itā€™s doubtful heā€™ll get minutes this season (in the Leinster championship).

1 Like

Smashing hurler

My back is grand if itā€™s me youā€™re asking.

Iā€™d give Murphy a position rather than sweeper. Heā€™s a good player and I think a position would suit him rather than sweeper.

If our back 6 canā€™t defend then itā€™s the coaching because theyā€™re all quite capable.

Have we not the lowest tally conceded in the league though?

Think he also got a half for his club senior team in a league game last weekend and was very impressive. Heā€™s still a bit away from being ready for intercounty, but I expect Wexford and Killenny to each have 3 wins from 3 by week 5 and already be qualified for the Leinster Final so he could get a start in that Nowlan Park dead rubber.

1 Like

I have a protruding disk according to MRI. May need surgery. I am full of valium and codeine which may be no bad thing on Sundayā€¦ I have often left Wexford park with a pain in me hole. Sunday will be the first time I have arrived there with one.

13 Likes

Donā€™t they always inject the disk first with seroids and cortisone? Surgery seems like an extreme measures a week into this.

They reckon almost everyone has some form of degenerated disks by the time the reach their 20s. Certainly in western lifestyles, but not everyone gets MRIs until they have to. Donā€™t rush to surgery. If youā€™re heading south east why not make a weekend of it and plan a mini getaway to myshall co Carlow

2 Likes

Danny Nail the only man for the job.

1 Like

Surgery should be a last resort.