Leitrim Football 2018

I have been tokd by many that I spend too much time in that house and should patronise others but if it ain’t broke…

The owner of the hotel is a terribly nice bloke but an atrocious man to run a bar, never mind a hotel. The knock on impact on the town as a result has been huge.

Reports I’m hearing is that your favourite house has seriously gone downhill since the boss man passed away.

Other reports suggest that a closed grocery and bar has recently been bought by a local who intends to open it again. I wouldn’t hold out much hope of his ability to do so either.

New York beat Corofin 1-20 to 1-7

I seen that,but corofin flew out at 7 in the morning and had the game that evening. Bit worrying all the same

A continuation of a list of useless cunts the county board appointed because they were economically suitable - ie. Cheap. Prepare a space on the board for a further addition in the short term as Benny suffers a deserved “thanks for your efforts”.
The situation has reached drastic levels between injuries, defections and general apathy. Any young lad travelling out for the weekend might genuinely fear an emergency call up such is the state of things.
But By Fucked we’ll not participate in any secondary competition - full duck or no dinner attitude.

Gas cunts. Wait till you hear the bluff, bluster and bullshit that will be used as excuses…

Lads if the unthinkable happens on Sunday, do we go into the qualifiers ? I know New York don’t if we win and recall that when the Rossies got a scare a couple of years ago, they would have been gone for the summer had they lost.

Something is telling me there was a change made after the Rossies got their scare but I’ve no idea where I’m getting that from.

I think we’re out

It would be some setback if that is the case. However, I fully expect Leitrim to win and win well.

Leitrim football boss Brendan Guckian says he’s expecting New York to provide his side with a massive test in Sunday’s Connacht Championship clash at Gaelic Park.

Five years ago, the western outfit strolled to a 4-19 to 0-7 win over the Exiles in the corresponding game in the Big Apple, with star forward Emlyn Mulligan recording a whopping 3-7 scoring total on that occasion.

But Guckian is taking no comfort from his county’s landslide win when the paths of the two sides last crossed in the summer campaign of 2013.

“I don’t think that what happened five years ago will have any bearing on how things are going to pan out in Sunday’s game,” said Guckian who has been at the helm of the Connacht county since October 2016.

"We’re expecting a very tough test from New York and so we’re approaching the game in a very serious manner.

"New York have had the benefit of a very useful game against (current All-Ireland Club champions) Corofin last Thursday as part of their preparations and that will stand them in good stead.

“As well, the fact that they were able to beat Corofin by a decisive margin of 13 points (1-20 to 1-7) shows what a strong side New York are, and that will also be a massive confidence boost for their players ahead of Sunday’s game.”

And while many of the New York players wouldn’t be household names back in Ireland, the Leitrim manager says he doesn’t feel that this will negatively impact on the home side’s prospects of pulling off an unexpected victory.

“Our backs will have to cope with the huge threat of Jamie Clarke who was one of Armagh’s top forwards for many years and who will be a welcome addition to any county,” he pointed out.

"As well, they have other players with plenty of inter-county experience in the likes of Kevin O’Grady, who played with Wexford, and Luke Kelly, who played with Offaly.

“And I am sure that the three inter-county lads will help the other players on the New York team to raise their game for Sunday’s test.”

On the plus side for the visiting side, however, is that, barring any injuries at tonight’s training session, the Leitrim supremo will be able to select from a full strength squad for the Bronx encounter.

“Thankfully, we didn’t pick up any injuries during the League, or in the meantime in training, that ruled any player out of the New York game,” pointed out Guckian whose charges romped to a 2-15 to 0-10 win over Wicklow in their final Division Four outing.

“So all going well this week everybody in the panel will be available for selection.”

It’s also a major boost that Emlyn Mulligan, who missed last year’s Championship campaign due to injury, is certain to start on this occasion.

“Emlyn tore the cruciate ligament in his knee shortly before we played London in the opening game of last year’s Championship,” explained Guckian whose side will travel out to New York on Thursday.

"He had to undergo surgery and he also missed the subsequent Championship games against Roscommon and Carlow.

“However, he got back for our League games against Limerick and Wicklow, and he would have had the benefit of two more League games but for the fact that those against London and Waterford did not take place because of the bad weather.”

Clarke “a great outlet” for ExilesMay 01, 2018

Armagh’s Jamie Clarke.
ŠINPHO/Gary Carr.

New York manager Justin O’Halloran is hoping Jamie Clarke can fire the Exiles to their first-ever championship victory this weekend.

Armagh and Crossmaglen ace Clarke was Man of the Match in a recent victory over All-Ireland club champions Corofin and O’Halloran expects him to give Leitrim a few headaches in Gaelic Park on Sunday:

“Jamie Clarke is a very good footballer, a very good lad and is a great outlet for us in the forward line,” he told The Irish Daily Mirror. "He played very well against Corofin, so hopefully he can do it again next Sunday.

"Leitrim are going to have to pay a lot of attention to him and even if he doesn’t get a score, he’ll take defenders out of the way for our other forwards and that will be a huge boost to us.

"Holding Jamie Clarke scoreless is a very tough job now. The Corofin game went very well, I’d be honest we played very well. We went at it hard if not quite up to championship speed.

“But we had been playing in-house games for the last two months and it was getting a little bit stale, the same players marking each other all the time. So it revamped the camp a little bit, and we feel good after it.”

I heard rumours that Clarke was due to come home months ago but was offered a chunk of money to stay for this match.

Then again I heard that Lee Keegan had MS.

I have no idea about this mate. I was talking to people at home last weekend who were equally clueless.

Would it be the case that if we are beaten we still go ahead in the Championship as NY are unlikely to travel and have the one off game each year?

That was the day the big man went to town…

Beirne

Mightn’t have been pretty but was effective. Wayne McKeown was immense that day as well. Goes to show that the ensuing Portergate business has had short and long-term effects.

We’re up against it but slightly optimistic. Ryan O’Rourke has shaken off a hamstring and is available for selection. I’d like to see Gortletteragh’s Jack Heslin get a start up front and we have considerable mobility issues in the middle of the field. McGovern and Moreton just haven’t the legs for it. I’d be inclined to go with Wrynn and Noel Plunkett there with Mulligan on the 40 with O’Rourke and Heslin on the wings.
McGloin, Beirne and Kennedy are the likely inside trio a little bird tells me.

McKiernan in the sticks fronted by Gary Plunkett, McWeeney, Maguire with Madden, Shane Quinn and Rooney in the half-back line would be imo the best option.

We’ll see no doubt. I’ve probably gotten 5 of the starting 15 so who knows.

Darragh Rooney?

Any one here travelling to NY ??

:dart:

It’s hard enough to stay going over a 2 day wedding tatter without attempting a 6 day pedal to the metal porterfest that this trip turns into. Been there and all that…

2 Likes

What’s going on with the ladies @anon67715551?

We do go into the qualifiers according to Sean Moran.

1 Like

It’s really hard to know what to make of NY.My sources tell me they’re not near as good this year compared to the last couple of years with a change in trainers and losing a few players.I suppose the only good thing is that we definitely will not be taking them for granted.We should definitely be fitter than them so as long as we’re in the game in the last 10/15 no s we should come out on top.

2 Likes