Leitrim Gaa 2021

@anon67715551

McWeeney and Guckian.

If you hear those names you can be guaranteed Leitrim connections.

Guckian around Carrick, Leitrim although there’s a family of them around Fey-na

2 Likes

Were you at this @anon67715551?

1 Like

I wasn’t playing but I was singing with Charlie Beirnes band at the social afterwards. :wink:
In the Leitrim village photo above Liam Foran kicked senior for a few years with the county. He wasn’t too bad in fairness, big awkward fucker.

1 Like

There’s a decent TG4 documentary in you lad.

Several families of Guckian in Fenagh parish. The most notable is possibly the popular Réiteóir Patrick who gave distinguished service on the playing field before taking up an feadóg. He’s not, however, universally liked in his current guise in the Séan O’Heslin club.

Some of that family dripped into Gorvagh I think,

You’re very, very tight on the parochial boundary there. Glostermin townland is in Fenagh parish but I’d suspect that some of original holding may be in Gorvagh / Mohill parish.
The monument at Selton is in Mohill parish for example. It was left however to the Fenagh club to lay the wreath as nobody from Mohill bothered. Ashamed of their history I suppose.

1 Like

Sure didn’t someone from Mohill give the men up?

The infamous Dr. Pendleton who’d been a former medic in the British Army. There are slightly conflicting reports regarding the “informer” who was deemed to be a man called William Latimer who paid with his life a few weeks later in an execution style reprisal.
The Fay-na elders have locally absolved Latimer posthumously, as it was his wife who visited the dispensary at Gorvagh that day and encountered the notorious doctor and may have let the cat out of the bag. William Larimer was well regarded as a decent enough man.

On the plus side, while Pendleton escaped sanction around Mohill, which he fled shortly after the ambush, he was killed in London 3 years later when a runaway lorry pinned him to a wall. An accident, apparently, but the driver was from Aughnasheelin and fortuitously escaped censure on some spurious technicality.

And lads are wondering where Shergar lies - the Neddies are a tight crew.

1 Like

A random one for ye Leitrim folk

On an ongoing to and fro with an acquaintance of mine on protestant GAA players. He maintains the Honeymans and Dugdale of the 94 team were.

Can anyone confirm?

@anon67715551 wiĺ know more but Dugdale was definitely a prod,not sure about the others

1 Like

Pretty sure Honeyman wasn’t but as Massey says George Dugdale was.

2 Likes

@farmerinthecity has nailed this one.

Ollie is married to a sister of my local councillor and they wouldn’t be ones to rock the boat too much.

Fuair an rí bás

RIP PACKIE

Bad news oul’ stock. It goes without saying he was the greatest we’ve seen. RIP.
Condolences to his family, friends and all Gaels who appreciated his talents.

Just seen it there.Sad news.RIP Packie.

RIP Packie.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet prince. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.