Leitrim GAA 2023

The reality of it is that we have too many ā€˜countymenā€™ who arenā€™t up to the standard of intercounty football even in the depths of D4 or Tailtean Cup. Paddy, Pearse Dolan, Mark Plunkett, Keith Beirne, Darragh Rooney and Jack Heslin would hold their own with any of them. Donal Wrynn (mobility) Shane Quinn and Evan Sweeney are a tad below this level and add in the injured - Ryan, Donal Casey, Prior and Bruen and weā€™re getting stronger but that only gets us to about 11/12.

Diffley isnā€™t a 3, heā€™s a half-forward, Keaneyā€™s pace indicates heā€™s a 14 or nothing, The management team are failing to see the glaring problem - an accomplished 6. With due respect to former Coach Hyland,he anchored the defence by siting Plunkett there and it got us out of D4 but the current Coach has treated him disrespectfully, cameos here and there.

In my humble opinion the majority of our problems have stemmed from poor defensive strategies, a completely unproven set of defenders who fold under pressure and a dreadful kick out strategy.

Over to youā€¦ā€¦:wink:

1 Like

100%,look at the amount of scorable frees weā€™ve conceded this year.The Wexford goal had a field day against us twice this year alone.Same with the Wicklow lad.We canā€™t defend to save our lives.Thats whatā€™s been keeping teams in the games against us,Iā€™d say weā€™ve been ahead in most of our league games at ht but have let teams stay with us by conceding soft frees.1 3 and 6 need sorting out asap.We also havenā€™t had a settled hb line all year.Id like to see Casey at 6 with McGloin and Quinn either side of him.Full back line would be Conor Reynolds in one corner and Conor Farrell or Adam Reynolds,but whoā€™s at full back.Im not sure if Paddy will be back.McTague doesnā€™t look like heā€™ll ever get a game.

1 Like

Donal Wrynn looked savage slow yesterday,looks like heā€™s finished at midfield anyways,maybe he could play at 3.The thing is the days of the full back guarding the square are long gone.He has to be mobile and fast.Maybe the upcoming club championship will unearth us a FB.

1 Like

Lads here need to step back from the brink, some of the comments are sending us hurtling towards another cranky cb rnedia release from the premium levels of havenā€™t money pairc sean

1 Like

Donal was never a gazelle but I donā€™t know whether itā€™s the heat or what but heā€™s struggling now for pace and struggling again to last the 70. I suppose when youā€™re as tall and well built as he is it becomes more of a problem. Heā€™s as honest as the day is long and will give his all but his days at m/f seem done.

@bigrifter - no sniping at the suits, theyā€™re well used to it mind, laughing away at usā€¦.

Why would they mind? Sure they got your money.
And now back to the club scene.

Mohills to loseā€¦which hopefully they will :smiley:

2 Likes

Allen Gaels or Annaduff for Intermediate, Melvin Gaels meant to be at a low ebb and will not go well this year

Hopefully one of the few remaining rural clubs can regain the Fenagh Cup because in a brief few years the giant franchises will dominate the scene. Mohill are already following the Pep modelā€¦.

The Willies or ourselves offer a faint glimmer of hope but itā€™ll be between Mohill/ CoS/SoH/Manor/LG.

Annaduff havenā€™t managed to close it out now for years. We scrambled over them in a replay in 18 when they were deservedly favourites. Theyā€™re there or thereabouts but time is running out for some of them.

I have nothing whatsoever against Mohillā€™s players, indeed I know and like many of them, but their administration must be amongst the biggest gobshites I have ever come across.

Iā€™m running the top table here in my head and wondering where youā€™d rank them. Thereā€™s a certain social media personalityā€™s mother whoā€™d rattle your chain Iā€™d imagineā€¦ā€¦

Unfortunately thanks to forestry and planning this looks to be the case.

2 Likes

Correct.

The retired postmaster from Ballinamore would top my list. And his brother, not the pub.

There are others of course.

1 Like

What are yourselves looking like this year? I think itā€™s a great credit to the like of yourselves to keep it going at all. Conor I presume will spearhead the attack but Iā€™d say numbers are getting tightā€¦.

Weā€™ve won one and lost one league match. Our loss was a heavy one.

We have a new manager from Cavan (not sure of name) who seems to have instilled a bit of interest,

Our team is seriously aging and with the inevitable challenge around young players coming up. There are some in that regard but not enough to sustain us over the next five to ten years.

Conor at around 30 is actually one of the younger players.

1 Like

Our esteemed county board cannot be happy with the Galway and Armagh fans being unhappy with the theatre of dreams being the venue for their upcoming clash. It only holds 9000 they whine, which seems rather a lowball figure to me. And then when have Galway football brought 9000 fans to any away game

20,000 was enough for a European Cup Final at the weekend, they can away and shite. Armagh are a shocking whingy shower of bastards.

The place used to hold 14-15k in the good old days when weā€™d pack it out and be competitive. Not sure why it couldnā€™t be more these days, especially now thereā€™s a seater stand where the dead zone of the old lamented press box used to be. Perhaps it is societyā€™s fault. We are all getting larger and taking up more space. I donā€™t mind Armagh fans moaning, but it is amusing to see Galway fans whinging. We bring better travelling support than them

1 Like

Alan Aherne fairly damning of that Leitrim forward line in this weeks Guardian.

1 Like