Leitrim GAA 2023

One of your townies @anon67715551 https://twitter.com/LeitrimGAA/status/1612132000294395907?t=ihwoW6v_YJAxg7Xx58-PyQ&s=19

1 Like

Out there a fair spell now. Big into GAA matters and a lynchpin of the Association in the city. Lives up the Woodlawn area. An alright sort.

1 Like

Is there nare a goalie to be got in the county at all?

That’s the way football is now - outfield players in goals.

It worked well for us

Darren Maxwell (BSOH) on the bench at the weekend. I have good time for Darren, a good and plucky custodian who’s kick-outs mightn’t always find the target however. He featured well last year so I’m thinking Coach Moran is studying the options. ETH has 9 keepers at Yanited - that’s the model.

Galway?

dunno about that now. not that it would have affected the end result.

I see Paul Keaney and Donal Casey in tonight’s panel for UL against UCC in the sigersons cup.

Honest lads, Casey had a good 22 but Keaney is a tad pedestrian for my liking.
St. Mary’s style doesn’t appeal to me in any shape or form which may negate my opinion but to me he lacks the burst of pace needed at this level.

He’s accurate though and deserves a chance in the jersey, too many lads hanging onto the panel by their fingernails without kicking on. We’ll see…

2 Likes

4 points for Keaney from midfield for UL with Casey at wing back.

UCC 0-10

UL 2-7

Stephen Barry reports from the Mardyke

LAST YEAR’S SIGERSON Cup runners-up UL got their 2023 campaign off to a winning start away to UCC despite being down some of their marquee players.

With David Clifford and Seán Powter having moved on from their 2022 team, they travelled to the Mardyke with Galway Young Footballer of the Year Jack Glynn and Mayo’s Eoghan McLaughlin ruled out with short-term injuries.

Goals in either half from Paul Mathews and Paul Walsh, however, were enough to produce a surprise against a strong UCC team.

UL will face TU Dublin next week with a bye to the quarter-finals up for grabs. It’ll be knockout football, meanwhile, for UCC against ATU Galway.

UCC got off to a fine start playing into the relentless wind and rain to lead 0-5 to 0-1 but they couldn’t create or convert as much with the elements behind them in the second half.

A fine Shane Merritt point was the highlight of their early innings but UL were back level when Paul Mathews superbly blasted to the net in the 20th minute.

UL’s Daniel Walsh was black-carded in the following play but the wind was a greater force than a man advantage, carrying over spectacular scores from Paul Keaney and Ciarán Downes as the Limerick college pushed two clear in that 10-minute spell. A Dylan Geaney point narrowed it to 1-4 to 0-6 at the break.

UCC were reliant on four placed balls in the second half and while they did edge ahead twice and could’ve had a goal but for Conor Flaherty’s save from Seán O’Connor, UL got the vital score in the 53rd minute. James McCarthy was fouled by Briain Murphy for a penalty. Dylan Foley saved from Paul Walsh but the Kerryman side-footed in the rebound.

Leitrim footballer Keaney took his tally to 0-4 and Aaron Griffin added another point as Brian Hartnett’s hopeful fisted effort at a stoppage-time equaliser was gathered by Flaherty.

Scorers for UCC: Seán Quilter 0-4 (2f, 1 45), Dylan Geaney 0-2 (1f), Fionn Herlihy 0-1, Killian Falvey 0-1, Seán O’Connor 0-1 (m), Shane Merritt 0-1.

Scorers for UL: Paul Keaney 0-4 (1f), Paul Mathews 1-0, Paul Walsh 1-0, Jack Coyne 0-1, Ciarán Downes 0-1, Aaron Griffin 0-1.

1 Like

I doubt I have ever seen the words “David Clifford” and “Leitrim” in the one news article. Hopefully not the last.

1 Like

There’s one in the pipeline for later in the year….

Ryan O’Rourke of Leitrim is this years FOTY succeeding Kerry’s David Clifford.

Is Ryan injured at the moment?

Minding himself, expecting him to return for the league opener.

James (Jim) McGovern of the famed McGovern brothers has slipped away.

A great and generous man like them all, their names will be forever associated with that glorious summer of 1994.

The light of Heaven to his noble soul.

4 Likes

He was managing a club in east Longford season before this one I think.

Edit: It was Ballinalee he was with

1 Like

Philip Bohan

:rage::rage::rage:

who is he and what did he do to you?