Leo Varadkar

No itā€™s not.

Itā€™s a reflection that Ireland is beholden to MNCs. A fact borne out the Irish govt were willing to fight the EU for a ā‚¬12bn tax bill owed by one MNC alone.

How many affordable housing units would 12bn build?

Although with FG economics it might only build one childrens hospital.

Remember when Mary Lou wanted to spend the money in escrow :joy:

3 Likes

Do you think that investment is a good thing or bad thing for ireland?

I think itā€™s a bad thing as it is. You have all these MNCs exploiting Irish taxation and conversely contributing toward the housing crisis.

The next Irish govt needs to take back control of resources under the state and reform the public and civil service. They need to invest heavily in bettering the standards of work for doctors and nurses so they can retain them, as far as I know from medical people in the free state - itā€™s not a salary thing - itā€™s more to do with working standards and demands.

Who profits from the MNCs? How many jobs than MNCs create do they bring in employees on big salaries from outside of Ireland who then drive up the rental market which already has excess demands.

Iā€™d imagine socio-economic issues are completely beyond someone who contemplates voting FG.

1 Like

The MNCs allowed income tax in 2020 to stay within 1% of 2019 and corporation tax receipts generated the income to pay half the country to hide under the bed.

7 Likes

The problem with doctors working conditions is that the consultants donā€™t actually want more consultants by and large as they want to be obscenely wealthy rather than very wealthy.

Did he get a deal done?

245,000 people employed by MNCs as of January last year. Over 10% of all employed people. Iā€™d imagine that percentage rose in 2020 and 2021 as MNCs are generally quite Covid proof

4 Likes

They drive up the rental market because not enough houses were built in the last ten years. And thatā€™s for a few reasons the chief being NIMBYism. But (often high) tax paying workers need somewhere to live, you seem to rather that tax paying base didnā€™t exist so then rents would be slightly lower? FDI is more of a blessing than a curse, itā€™s the closest thing well ever have to the magic money tree you think will solve all problems,

you say

As if it was that easy. What do you mean take back control of resources under the state?

The reason doctors and nurses travel is lifestyle as much as anything else. I donā€™t think itā€™s unreasonable to ask for a return of service to the state, provided their training and work experience is properly paid. God knows theyā€™ve done enough for the country the past year, I actually think all front line healthcare staff deserve a tax break, or incentivised housing available to buy just for them. Thatā€™s one of the best ways of keeping them in the country actually.

How much tax do they pay on their profits?

1 Like

Health for a start. FFG have farmed that out to the private sector.

Motorway tolls.

Energy providers.

Phone networks.

We have seen through Covid that the govt can introduce legislation if they really want and constitution doesnā€™t really cause them much problems in that regard.

1 Like

65 % of the corporate tax take is from foreign firms so about 6-7 billion per year on corporation tax alone.

On top of that there is a huge income tax take from the staff employed on top of the other spin-off economic effects.

5 Likes

You have answered a different question to the one I asked.

The top earners in this country are not taxed enough.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that system of government seizing control of resources and breaking contracts will work out great comrade.

You donā€™t seem to have many real world suggestions, and by the sounds of it you wonā€™t be voting for a united ireland any time soon.

4 Likes

The head on Matt Carthy here. Heā€™s like a sheep.

1 Like

Jennifer circling the wagons here.

Jennifer getting a schooling here

Sheā€™s untouchable.

Jennifer looks like sheā€™s absolutely mental. Eye contact into your soul

That thought struck me right there at the end as well.