Let's All Laugh At Sevco Thread

GVB is an absolute gentleman. He’ll never survive at Ibrox

1 Like

I’ve seen their season being compared to Lennon’s last season at Celtic. Dull, uninspiring football, a few hidings interspersed with some unconvincing wins and limping to the odd draw. The fans seem to be well ahead of the board and pundits in realising the team is at the end of its cycle too.

1 Like

Morelos was a disgrace … like he was pulled from the pub to make the numbers

One from earlier in the season. You can be sure it’s a particularly shit huns team when they’re lagging behind despite a litany of decisions in their favour.

What did you make of Rangers financial report pal? Have they steadied the ship and will only grow considering champs lge money, Bassey and aribo transfers will be included next year accounts ? Or is it all financial gymnastics ?

If the huns had any money they’d have spent it. They’re like Celtic under reappointed Lennon, firing a few quid far and wide in the hope of striking something.

I was just curious on financial gurus like @Bandage amd @Rocko take on their accounts … what’s going on with not accounting for money spinners like the sale of aribo and Bassey or is it just normal practice ? Like when you add them two and champs lge money then next years finances are going to look healthy regardless of what happens between now and then … are they finally playing a long game instead of just burning through cash and accumulating debt?

I suspect from what Ive read that they’ve been kept competitive/afloat by loans. The lenders want their money back now that they have some extra coming in via the CL, but an orange dog with a mallet up his hole knows the team is creaking and needs fairly major transplant surgery. There is significant tension between people who want their money back now, whilst the going is good (and can see that it’s unlikely to get much better), and those who want to spend it all on a new spine to the team. GVB is hamstrung having the likes of Morales loafing about the place on what for the SPL is stellar money, but a board who can’t quite bring themselves to either re-sign, or let him out the door now for free as either is unpalatable (understandably really). Trouble for the huns is they need a medium term strategy in place which would accept playing second fiddle to Celtic for a couple of years at least, but the spite is so strong, they just can’t bring themselves to, so it’s more free signings on big wages. It took a quite remarkable manager like AP to drag Celtic out of the spiral. We were also very lucky that AP was in a position to sign the cream of the j league for a relative pittance.
A European manager wouldn’t have been able to.
The huns need an AP/Eddie Howe level appointment I’d imagine, but such a manager wouldn’t come without promise of spending money. They still have good players, but they are an old side.
In short, I’d not take any set of sevco books at face value, and secondly, it’s great to see.

4 Likes

Nice finish there but jaysus that was 40 seconds of comically bad football before it.

1 Like

I haven’t looked at their accounts, pal. But most clubs operate with a 30 June year-end, as a July-June year ties better into a football season. So fees for anyone sold last summer, like Bassey and Aribo as you mentioned, won’t have been in this most recent full year accounts.

Without having delved into it, my view would align with Flatty’s. I’m definitely guilty of giving yer man Ross Wilson too much credit for the league win when Celtic/Lawwell/Lennon imploded, albeit they had a couple of good signings around that time.

But they’ve made a complete balls of it in the last 18-24 months. The reports are that the CL windfall was gobbled up by directors whose loans had been keeping the lights on. And they got into bed with Mike Ashley when they were desperate and tried to wriggle out of it and he’s taken them for millions too.

So the consensus was that a couple of sales were vital to keep them operating, rather than being part of some astute “sell at the top of the market business plan” to future proof them.

And when you see they’ve let Morelos, Kent and Kamara wind down their contracts, it doesn’t suggest they’re on top of their game. Add to that wasting big money on a load of duds in the last 3-4 transfer windows…Sakala, Matondo, Yilmaz…most of these lads don’t even start. Not to mention the high profile, high loan fee signings of Ramsey and the fella from Man U whose name I can’t recall. Soutar on a Bosman despite his injury record too. Others I can’t recall.

They’ve renewed Goldson on big money and their squad has grown old together. They have the likes of McGregor, Davis, Jack, Arfield all needing to be replaced at the same time too along with the lads winding down contracts. Stopping the ten could have been a springboard for them but they look like they’re in quite a mess.

1 Like

I wonder if there’s been much stuff going on off the books also.
I know my next door neighbour was involved in the insolvency of a Scottish club (possibly Livingstone, I can’t remember) and was asked to take a role in the rangers insolvency. He declined as he was afraid for his family as they were living in Glasgow at the time. There seems to have been a fair bit of murk around the sevco books since their inception.

1 Like

Even the likes of Roofe - hasn’t been too bad for them but undoubtedly on big money after he ended his Leeds contract.

The Patterson sale did wonders for keeping them going last year. It was big money for a completely unproven player. Then Bassey and Aribo will help again (plus CL money) but they’ve weakened their team a lot this time.

And they don’t really have much value in any of their players.

The reality is both Celtic and the Huns lose money each year without player sales and before CL revenue is considered. Celtic have been far more successful in recent years in turning players over at a profit to fund operations. The Huns have relied on loans and a lower wage bill but their revenue has been creeping up so they allowed wages to do the same.

3 Likes

The Patterson sale is murky.

Don’t think so. Patterson is going to be an outstanding player.

12 million quid for an underage pipefitter. Hmm

1 Like

Patterson is a superb prospect mate.

A promising plumber

1 Like