Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

If we draw with Waterford, tipp beat Clare, limerick lose to Clare and Waterford beat cork all 5 teams would end up level on 4 points.

Confirmed with a munster council man that head to head followed by points scoring difference will be used to place teams level on points.

More than two teams on same points sees it going to scoring diff

Yes or if two teams level have drawn

As with Cork, three weeks on the bounce will be tough for Waterford. The brick a key man now, but has to be tired.
Limerick nearly killed themselves on Saturday so that will have taken a toll also.
I’d expect a very good Limerick support there next week.
Waterford have zero fear of Limerick and visa versa. Should be a cracker.

I just really like the way we are playing at the moment, this is the style I have wanted us to play for years. Plays to our strengths- hard working forwards, intelligent ball from the half-backs feeding a deadly inside line.

Who would have thought our forwards would look decent when we play with a proper gameplan and feed them decent ball? Oh, most people.

1-25 is still a lot to concede and if we face Cork again (very possible), we can’t concede that much. Conceded some very soft frees, against Horgan particularly. He’s a very skilful, very smart hurler but there were at least two fouls on him that were very silly.

And you’d hope we’d learn from the goal. I would have liked for English to clean him out and take the yellow card but to be fair, looking at it again, very hard to do that when the players were coming at opposite angles at pace, Horgan was always favourite to step outside him easily. Did take a fair amount of steps though.

I think 26 score v cork with 14 mean isn’t bad particularly after losing your centre back on top of the sending off. Under the circumstances I thought we done fine defensively. Cork scored at least three frees that were never fouls in my book. It must also be noted considering how little minutes they’ve played and how inexperienced they are mike Casey and WOD deserve a lot of credit.

big credit due to dan morrissey also.

We have a panel now that any man coming in knows he has to perform if he wants to keep hold of his jersey. The 15 out there know there is a man waiting for a chance.

It is a good competitive culture to have. Kiely is doing the business. They all sound bought into it. Talking about the process and minute by minute. Very Joel Schmidt-esque

1 Like

Cork are a top 4 team and with a man up were always going to pick off a few scores.
As you say, the Horgan slip and the 21 yard free were nonsense calls. Ive watched them back.
And a few over exuberant challenges from young lads which lead to another 3 or so frees. They can be cut out.
I think they did really well and the slip up for the goal aside we defended well.
Cork scored 4 or 5 outrageous long shots. Not much you can do about them. and they just as easily go wide.

I was just going to say he’s very joe Schmidt like. We are playing a very simple game plan based around the collective team effort. So if anybody is injured or whatever it’s easy for them to be replaced.

The Lehane goal chance should have been a free in to limerick too. Morrissey was fouled off the ball.

Let’s have it straight here. Owens was a bollox for both teams, he done his best to ruin a cracking game of hurling and failed, thankfully. I don’t think his bad decisions had an influence on the result. Red card was right call.

I just think both teams were that stubborn on the night it would have been a draw no matter what

Should hit the 30,000 mark next Sunday.

Gillane definitely out, our captain too possibly. Throw in our best forward probably being very rusty after a two month injury absence. It’s going to be very, very tough. Put so much energy into that game on Saturday it must have an affect.

Mind you Waterford playing for the third week in a row, missing De Burca, Fives, Coughlan so both teams won’t be at full strength.

This new format is great but it wrecks your head thinking about permutations. Hopefully that point from the weekend will prove crucial yet.

Would imagine it’ll be WOD in for Dec again and any from Murphy, Pat Simon or Peter Casey in for Gillane. Maybe David Dempsey too…? Waterford are so awkward to play against with their system.

I’d be very surprised Peter Casey starts. Hes so little done. I’ve a sneaky suspicion they’ll start the Dow on the edge of the square.

3 Likes

With 4 games left to play, the table could finish in 81 different ways…

81 you say?

1 Like

Very hard to know how they’ll approach it. Tom Morrissey was flawless from the frees, it might cost the Dow his chance. Then again if they do start him he’ll be bulling for it and won’t have a better chance to stake a claim.

With the extra man or two Waterford play back there a big target man might be the way to go. Could see the lighter lads like Murphy etc being bottled up by their swarm defence.

I’m nervous about this match already…!

If there’s any game Dowling will feature significantly, this is surely the one.

At the same time, I’d be very surprised if Murphy doesn’t start for Gillane.

I’d have no problems with Dempsey or the likes starting but on the face of it, it’d be very harsh to drop Hego, Kyle or Morrissey. But obviously they put in huge efforts. I’d trust Kiely and his team to make the call, I don’t think it’s one that we could make from outside.

I I think it will be dowling, flanagan and mulcahy. Two big ball winners with a slightly more direct style of play.

Would be very wary next weekend.

2 Likes