Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

ā€˜ā€˜That set of Limerick forwards would surely score no more than 1-13 or 1-14 against a good teamā€™ā€™

2 Likes

Numbers 8 to 15 all scored today.

Even number five had a pop and blazed her wide, his first lash at it this championship!!

We will allow him that one we around 9 or 10 up at that stage!

Mike Casey didnā€™t really give Devine a puck, considering Waterford tried to isolate him. Our full back line is a huge positive. Same with the half back line. Really limits puck out options when you see 3 lads up on 6 foot 4 in the landing zone

2 Likes

Hayes, Hegarty and o donovan positioning for oppositions puckouts are key.

It must be like looking at a wall trying to pick a man out.

Mike Casey has really shored things up. I was worried about him today but yet again he has proven he can best a big man playing opposite him at no. 14.

I was talking to my auld fella tonight after he watched the Sunday Game. He watches every match on TV but is at the age he gave up going to matches a long time ago. He has gotten swept up in the wave of enthusiasm around this team however and says that if they get to the final he will do everything he can to be in attendance. The last championship match he was at was the last night of the Dave Keane era when Offaly mugged us in an All Ireland qualifier match on a week night in Thurles around 2003-2004 I suppose it was. :laughing: He had taken a lifetime of heartbreak to that point and it was the straw that broke the camels back, he passed the torch to me at that point.

8 Likes

If he is a Jonah tell him you canā€™t get him a ticket :grin::grin:

Whatā€™s a Jonah?

A bringer of bad luck

2 Likes

Amidst the back slapping Iā€™d draw attention to a few key points that will need rectifying before any further progress is made.

The majority of scares weā€™ve had in the full back line in the last three games have come through Richie English making a poor decision. Over carrying, over elaboration, over the sideline or over the bar. Keep it simple.

Byrnes needs to position himself better under the dropping ball. Too often he ends up behind his man and is much less effective from there. Happened a good bit today but largely went unpunished.

We need to convert goal chances. To put pressure on Clare next week, or a Galway or Kilkenny weā€™ll need to bury more of the chances we create. We have the character to do that- time to prove it.

Grand win today, but Waterford were desperate. Big challenge next weekend. Familiarity, tough venue and a touch of fatigue in the legs second half. Weā€™ll find out a lot next Sunday

5 Likes

Hold on there now, English and Byrnes are on the list of players you canā€™t criticise because they ā€œhave a bit of cut about themā€. Byrnes has hardly put a foot wrong, he had to have the shot he took yesterday when he was in that much space. English is our weakest back in terms of composure on the ball, still inclined to run into trouble or hit it high and straight as far as possible or give a bad pass, good opposition will target that. Even saying that he is a whole lot better than what most countries have and his defending is very good, on balance he has been excellent for us. He is light years ahead of Browne for Clare as a corner back for example. I have to say I worried a small bit about Casey but he handles every step up with the minimum of fuss, he is an absolutely class act. Dan Morrissey seems to grow with every game, himself and Tom reached another level in the Cork game. I had three pints after the match with my fatherā€™s two best friends, match days are great.

4 Likes

A magpie

Casey and the Dow post game.

Fatigue is as much mental as anything.
and teams are not really tired when winning.
I did think we were a little tired yesterday at times but Waterford were worse.
we hit some silly wides (old failing) first half and our passing broke down also at times
but we picked it back up second half.
Not sure who he will start up top but both Gillane and Dowling will see game time.
Nash, Dempsey, Gillane, Murphy, WOD will all be relatively fresh and are most likely our subs injuries permitting.

It will be a great occasion next week. The Clare boys are a sound bunch. Hopefully they eat none of the
travelling Limerick support.

COME ON LIMERICK ALWAYS!

I agree with @Julio_Geordio for what itā€™s worth, itā€™s a really tough call on Mulcahy but a line of Gillane, Flanagan and Dowling with runners coming from deeper will terrorise anybody, when Casey returns I just canā€™t see a place for Mulcahy

They are becoming interchangeable which is a great sign. Not bothered as long as they keep winning.

Our subs over the last few weeks didnt do a whole pile.

Again, unless itā€™s for reasons of freshening things up, I canā€™t see any changes for Clare. Completely different test again but itā€™s very hard to see Mulcahy dropped next week, heā€™s been so good in 2018.

There is serious competition though, none of the inside forwards can afford a poor game, which is exactly the way it should be. Theyā€™ve all been on fire so far.

2 Likes