Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

I think we saw today both Corkā€™s strengths and weaknesses, and what weā€™ll have to do to win. In an open, loose game; I have no doubt Cork will win. They ran riot in the first half. Tipp gave them so much space, and they just ran the legs off them. The Cork backs had time to deliver the ball and the movement was superb but the Tipp backs were very poor imo. So far off their men. You have to be tight; once they get it into their hand, theyā€™re a serious threat so you have to be right on top of them at the point they receive the ball. To be fair, I think our backs are generally decent enough in that regard.

But then you also have to choke the space in our half-back line and midfield to stop the runners. Tipp did this in the second half. I thought Lehane was very quiet throughout; he was probably bypassed in the first half as they were getting so much joy inside. Fitzgibbon wasnā€™t as influential as he can be either. Iā€™d still worry about Lehane against us, Hannon will hold the middle but weā€™ll need a plan to deal with Lehane moving to get the ball. Fitzgibbon, you just have to apply the pressure when he gets it. Obviously they are good players and will have their spells but if our work rate is good, weā€™ll stop them having it their own way.

At the other side, I thought Joyce had a shocker. Conlon took him for 5, I think, last week. He gave away the ball very sloppily at times and his skill levels didnā€™t seem up to par. They couldnā€™t cope with John McGrath in the second half, or Noel McGrath really. Our forwards are different to those two, but Iā€™d still play Hegarty at centre-forward and encourage him to carry it, well able to score. Iā€™d use Kyle on the right wing to stop them using Coleman as a launchpad and as a puck-out option on that wing. Bonner had a couple of chances today going forward but his striking was just very poor.

Keep the space tight in our backline if at all possible; midfield possibly sit a little deeper to clog the space. Otherwise, gameplan will always be fairly similar- forwards have to work their socks off, thatā€™s a minimum. Try and create the space in front of the full-forward line and get low ball in front of them. If the half-forwards get it in hand, encourage them to take it on.

2 Likes

Hickey recovered quickly from those two ruptured hamstrings he had walking off the last day

Handy one against Mayo at home in the football qualifiersā€¦

Dacent.

As much as I think Mayo are alright, someone has to bring the curtain down on this team. Might as well be us.

Better to just get it over with.
Put all focus on hurling where it should be.
hopefully this will be the death of football in Limerick.

The clash of colours means that the white flag will be waved whilst wearing white jerseys.

No tougher qualifier test in our battle to claim Sam.

Get over Mayo and we should make the Super 8ā€™s comfortably enough.

3 Likes

If Clare beat Tipp and we beat Waterford we are through regardless of Waterfordā€™s other 2 results as we will go through having beaten them even if we both finished on 4 points.

So thatā€™s the outcome we need next week if we were not to get anything in Cork and assuming Tipp do beat Waterford

The aim is to beat Cork and Waterford and rest players the week after to give the squad a run and see how strong the depth is also.

The flip side we may need a huge favor from Clare who are well capable of winning in Thurles.

I think weā€™ll beat Waterford. We should be good enough to beat Cork. If thatā€™s good enough to get us into the final then hopefully Kiely will make a good few changes for the last game to give lads an opportunity to make a case for inclusion (getting way ahead of myself there). I think it was telling that Dowling didnā€™t come in the last day and itā€™s possible we might not see him unless and until we need a freetaker, so as long as Gillane stays fit. Otherwise it looks like he has a lot of work to do to come in. Ditto McCarthy. Very telling that when we replaced our full back it was Casey and not McCarthy called in.

1 Like

That would be enough I think. Say we win them 2 games. That has us on 6. If we do beat Cork Saturday, then the most they can get is 5 (Assuming they beat Waterford).

Tipp have 2 games left. Most they can get is 5 points. (Assuming they beat Waterford and Clare)

I think thatā€™s correctā€¦

Is it the team that finish top that gets home advantage in the Munster final?

As Daly put it last night. ā€œNext week is moving weekā€

ā€œas long as they want it to goā€ :joy::joy:

Have you something to say?

We need Tom Ryan to come out and slaughter us before Saturday night. Things are far too civilised at the moment.

1 Like

Will we start a few rumours on the HoganStand :grimacing: