Limerick GAA - Box Office

A very strong team

Hopefully a better game than Sunday Joe!

Strong side named. Huge test for Stephen Cahill at corner back after a decent debut on Sunday last. Having watched him for years I wouldn’t consider corner back to be a position that suits him, better on the wing.

Hannon at 6 again. I dunno. We are in huge trouble there, O’Connell had a nightmare there on Sunday. Only other options are Hegarty, Hickey or Gavin. I still think Gavin O’Mahony is our best option there.

I’d love if Hannon was the option at 6, but I’m not sure he is. I think he’s a forward. He was a fine centre-back at minor level so maybe he can but I wouldn’t bet on it.

At least we’re trying different people there though. Obviously whoever is there will have to brush up on their game but you should be able to see that they have the right instincts for the position.

ALTC & Hegarty on the wings, should have a bit more about them in the air than the two the last day. John Fitz in midfield again.

Sunday will not or cannot happen ye again

The Clare team, as per Raylan:

Looks reasonably strong. A half-forward line full of ballwinners which is unusual for Clare in recent years. And with Shanagher inside aswell, lots of big lads. No Podge.

Would they not try Byrnes at centre back? Otherwise Ronan Lynch.

Byrnes was tried at 6. It’s quite clear he is a far better no. 5, he is a fine wing back.

Ronan Lynch is a lovely hurler but not related to a Senior Inter County defender. Doesn’t contest 50-50 ball, not physical or aggressive enough. If he’s going to make it, it’ll be as a midfielder or a luxury forward but we tend to have a few too many of them.

I think at the highest level, positioning is probably the most important thing. A centre-back cannot be caught out of position because it pretty much means a goal for the opposition. Traditionally, someone like Byrnes would be the perfect centre-back- dominant in the air, strong, quick, likes to get forward… nowadays, it’s almost better if the centre-back doesn’t actually contest in the air as if he commits and doesn’t win it, there’s a load of space in behind. He’s better off dropping back into the space and trying to sweep up breaking ball.

Obviously there are other important factors- general hurling intelligence, ability to find a teammate with a pass, a bit of pace to match runners, strength to stop them, an ability to make a tackle.

I’m sure Byrnes could adapt to his game to play that way but he’s so good on the wing, it’d almost be a waste.

Agree on Byrnes. I wouldn’t write O’Connell off yet. Lynch needs to build a bit of strength but he could well make centre back yet. I’d like to see how he goes at midfield. At least we know what we’ll get with Gavin and always have that option if no one emerges during the league. I don’t know where the Hannon to half back switch for club and county recently is after coming out of.

Who is your no. 6 so? Agreed Byrnes is better at no. 5 but 6 is a more important position. I think Ronan Lynch has a similar sort of profile to Ronan Maher of Tipp who has done a good job at no. 6 for them, and they’re same age. Our fella isn’t as good as him but worth a shot in these meaningless games.

Maher has a lot more dog in him than Lynch does.

I’ve always thought midfield would be his best position if he could get his work rate up to extremely high levels, but I think he could be a good wing-back too, especially if he got better in the air. I wouldn’t have him at centre-back, certainly not next season.

2 Likes

Ronan Lynch to 5 and Byrnes to 6 then. Tell me who your 6 is then? Fine and well ruling lads out but who are you giving the jersey to?

Athletically, Aerially and Aggression wise Ronan Lynch wouldn’t hold a candle to Ronan Maher for fuck sake. He is a classier hurler alright but that isn’t much good to you at centre back when the likes of Austin Gleeson or Bonner Maher are landing you on your hole, or speeding past you or out fielding you.

Gavin O’ Mahony is our best option at 6 in my opinion. Byrnes at 5 and a battle on for 7 between a few candidates

4 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

Gavin is weak as a sock FFS you’re telling me Gleeson or Bonnar wouldn’t knock him on his arse quicker than they would Lynch?

Ronan Lynch and O Connell are not senior inter county hurlers… Lynch is too nice.

1 Like

Another insightful contribution on Hurling matters from our resident emoji queen…

As I said Limerick will need to adopt a sweeper system to sort out there defensive issues. Hego and Byrnes either side of o Connell or o Mahoney with hannon playing a sweeper role.

Gavin would be my default option. I don’t think he’s perfect there, but he should do a decent job in a well-organised system.

If Hegarty was a little bit more comfortable on the ball, I’d consider him too. I think he should be tried there in any case.

I think that Kyle Hayes is probably the future there, might be a bit early for him yet and Kiely’s played him in the forwards so far, but he is a class act.

Apparently BOC was poor at the weekend against Cork; I would have thought he’d be a candidate considering he seemed to do the job required very well for the 21s. Obviously senior is worlds apart from that but he might be worth another shot beside two aerially-dominant wing-backs.

Kiely has also played Hickey there, I’d have to see him there to judge, he’d definitely need to get boots that would stop him from slipping all the time if he was to play there.