Limerick GAA - Box Office

The shorts are cat. They look like aome of the early versions of the old cheap Gaelic Gear stuff that was floating around 10 or 15 years ago.

We’ve had good pre season campaigns over the last two years - results wise - and it hasn’t been worth a tinkers curse to us for the league or championship.

Some of those lads yesterday have been knocking around for a few years and have never grasped the chance to impress. Time to get ruthless. The players who weren’t selected yesterday saw their stock rise immeasurably.

Winning in Wexford Park is all that matters. However I’ve had an ominous feeling since that demented dwarf was appointed they’ll turn us over.

Ultimately beating Clare on the June Bank Holiday would paper over a poor league campaign.

1 Like

“Trained heavily in the week before the game”. :laughing:

2 Likes

Looks like only the senior hurlers got the new shorts. I have seen a number of other Limerick sides in the past 4 weeks using three stripe style shorts.

You have to earn your stripes.

1 Like

They looked a bit leggy.

Ah here. I thought I was at the same match but maybe not.

Cork were in great nick. They had a game plan with Cadogan and Horgan in a 2 man full foward line. They had great movement for their own puck outs while we were static.
Cadogan Horgan and Kingston are real pacy hurlers and we gave them the space to operate with our half back line out too deep. I was surprised how much Horgan was up for this.
The lad from Charleville looks a decent prospect but Cork have a problem at the back . They need to find a centre back and build a defense around him.
Limerick had no player that started emerge with any credit especially the boyos named above but at the same time I wouldn’t be dropping anyone based on yesterday alone. Actually it was no harm for players/management (and some TFKers) to have a reality check.

You didn’t think that Stephen Cahill did ok? I’m perplexed by that. For example, he prevented two more certain goals with blocks and tackles he put in. He was the only defender of the 6 that managed on two occasions to stop a Cork player going past him. When we were in desperate need of someone to do something he was brave enough (on his Senior debut) to push forward in an attempt to make something happen in the 2nd Half. He did hit some aimless ball into our forward line at times but on the flip side, he was actually our only defender clearing the fucking ball as he was the only one winning it!

Ronan Lynch and his man didn’t contest a 50-50 ball all day, which I clearly stated above. Both did their own thing, but you must not have been at the game if you didn’t notice some of the scores Lynch hit. Two in particular were from out on the sideline and were very well taken points. I wouldn’t say he shone out but he did emerge with something from the game based on those scores. Lean pickings I know, but that was my point was it not?

I agree with you on Cork. Very sharp and fit looking for this time of year, how they will maintain that from here will be interesting.

They apparently had 3 training sessions between the Waterford game and yesterday. I also included a “make of that what you will” at the end of that sentence which you quite cleverly left out, you old Joseph Goebbels you.

1 Like

Looks like we need a few more footballers for the backs to make tackles.

Don’t worry they’ll soon beat that work ethic out of him. He’ll be swanning around like a prima donna with his hands on his hips in no time.

They will have to do some beating. No better man than Cahill to take on a battle.

I heard a few of the Na/Piarsaigh lads were drinking Latte’s at half time in the dressing room…

In their shorts, and it January.

Nail on the head there boy. To have a 50/50 ball you need two guys that want to win the ball.
I’d like to see Ronan at centre back with Byrnes and Hegarty at either side of him. I think the lad is very talented just settle on his position and see if he makes it.
Stephen Cahill wasn’t the worst but his striking wasn’t at the level required(but then whose was?).
I actually thought Seanie O’Brien, Kevin O’Brien and when introduced Casey Byrnes Dempsey and Jimbob were the lads that may have been worth a mention if any.

Kevin O’Brien was shocking, so I can’t agree on that. You must not have read my initial post where I mentioned that (a) Cahill was the only back to emerge with credibility but some of his deliveries to forwards was poor. That can be worked on though. (b) That Lynch and his man paid no attention to each other all day and didn’t seem to care that the other was causing damage and © that David Dempsey did well when he came on.

I also disagree on Seanie O’Brien, did himself no justice and is far better than that in my opinion. Byrnes got on top of Kingston after he had ran rings around Morrissey.

Probably just splitting hairs.I suppose it was your praise of Ronan Lynch that set me off. Kevin O’Brien had Limericks first 3 points from play. That was your justification for saying that Ronan Lynch played ok…

At least Barry Hennessey got a good work out yesterday.

Lads, I don’t really think anyone emerged with any credit. I’m just gonna run through those that were mentioned.

I know it was only an early season game and management were clearly trying to give everyone gametime, but I was surprised English was not subbed, he was cleaned from start to finish and it was worse when Cadogan was on him. I think mick casey switched into full back on Cadogan towards the end. None of the backs emerged with much credit and he made lots of mistakes but O’Brien had some good moments. Half back line atrocious, I’d have hopes for O’Connell this year but it was hard to know he was even on the field. Can’t say Cahill impressed me but maybe he wasn’t as bad as some of the others. O’Donovan and Ryan mixed good and bad. Lynch didn’t do much in general play but scored a point pretty much whenever he got the ball in hand. I’d like to see him running out at midfield. Alan Dempsey had some good and some bad, a scored a lovely point, I don’t think he’s ever played as a forward before now, are they looking for a Dan McCormack type? I’d guess subbing him for his brother at half time was prearranged. David scored a class point beating a few players along the way and might have had a chance of a goal out of it early in the second half, didn’t do much after that as cork took over. O’brien scored his few points and certainly wasn’t the worst on display. Nash started well with a goal but was living on scraps and was defended confortably after that. Think Ryan threw the pass for the goal.

James Ryan came in and injected some urgency for the first two minutes of the second half, he generally ran around and looked busy and gave and received some short handpasses. Byrnes was only interested in looking good himself when he came in, first two balls he got he drove a mile wide. Infuriating at the time when for a few moments early in the second half we looked like we might have gotten competitive and saved face a bit.

2 Likes

Will yer man the goalie whose mammy wrote a strongly worded letter to the selectors a couple of years ago get a run now?

1 Like