Limerick GAA - Box Office

And the likes of dodgy keeper is a paragon of refinement and sensibility :grin:

He was a perfect gentleman today and did not draw our attention

Is Peter Casey really nailed on for a starting berth? Okay he has a lot of potential but he is only 18-19yrs old and very small.

I thought Hickey was very good. I know it was only Kerry in an absolute non-match, with less intensity than you’d get in training but he did as much as he possibly could have.

Same with Barry Nash, who showed why he is our best forward from open play. He wants to get goals… we have struggled to get goals, he has to be included. And Peter Casey also did as much as possible to stake a claim, he was very impressive, I’d like to see him against Cork.

Absolutely no test for the likes of Richie Mc or Hannon, and they are the players who you would like to see tested by a formidable opponent to see if they are ready for the heat of Championship action in those positions.

1 Like

Kerry GAA had a camera in the stand for the matches today, have a few highlights up on twitter. This was a great point from Neville, class pass from Corbett:

Yes. He is that good. He is 20 this year and old enough now.

His ability to snap a ball and turn on a sixpence to test the defender is the best we have

2 Likes

At the very least he’d be a nice weapon to use coming on against a tiring defence once a game opens up. His close control is immaculate. Fairly clinical once he gets chances too.

Dancing feet.

Hannon at 6 doesn’t fill me with confidence. Casey is just that good.

Give the walk over I say

We have the big league

Ya I was only slagging about Hickey, he did fine, I’m happy enough with him at half back, I’ve been saying for years he should be there/midfield or nowhere. Not a nailed on starter at hb for me, but there or there abouts. Not good enough for midfield with the options we have currently.
Game yesterday was a waste of time really, you couldn’t read anything into performances. Hannon was Hannonymous again, but there wasn’t much for him to be doing either. Worth persisting till the middle of the league to see how he goes I think. No one else putting their hand up and we’ve loads of forwards.
That front 6 won’t be far off the starting team I’d say;
Jim Bob was playing a #false12 yesterday and covered a pile of ground in the first half before they subbed him out.
Morrissey looked a bit more comfortable at centre forward than he had the last few times I saw him elsewhere. Not up against much, but went through his share of work and took a few nice scores.
Hayes is good but raw, bags of potential. He got stuck in as well which always throws a fella up in my estimations.
Nash was brilliant yesterday, he’s the real deal, tough fucker as well.
Casey looked very sharp and was comfortable with the frees.
Cian Lynch was flying as well. FF isn’t a bad spot for him actually, though he wasn’t there for all of it. Layed off a couple of lovely balls and didn’t do anything stupid.
Thought Dempsey looked very sharp on arrival as well. With Dowling, Mulcahy and maybe Hannon coming back up there, we have serious depth there & in midfield, it’s the backs that would concern you, particularly down the centre, though Richie looked good even if he’s still a fair bit of fitness work to do.
Kerry were economical in forwards early on and I think they hadn’t hit a wide for the first 25 mins or so. We got the goal then and that ended them. Couple of decent forwards, but they were poor defensively, very loose and roasted in the fullback line in particular.

1 Like

Most importantly they played a nice style of direct ball to free men or space, early signs are promising with Kiely. This will be our year. @Bandage we are coming for you and your boys :gun:

Are kerry that bad? I suspect kerry aren’t that bad. That’s a good score to rattle up. What this and the Cork game really tell is that you cannot judge much regarding championship from this far out.

Footballers were brilliant yesterday, should have taken it in normal time. A lot of the younger generation really stood up. Paul White, Danny Neville and Corbett in particular were very good, while it’s great to have Collins back as well and the old hand Johnny Mac dominated at the edge of the square. O’Carroll also had a good game but was wasteful at times. Hard to fault anyone really.
Played some really nice football in the second half when they went for it. Very positive for the year ahead, they should have a right cut off division 4.
Kerry’s team was a mix of second string with a few notables. I don’t think too many did themselves any favours yesterday, the full back had a fine game (Foley I think) for the them and the centre back Morley was ok. O’Donoghue was a cut above everyone on the pitch when he wanted to be, any word on his injury? Barry John Keane was absolutely cat.

He is very good OK.

They were missing a good few palyers which teams like Kerry cannot afford. I think I heard that one of their clubs ( maybe Ardfert) were gone on a holiday. They were missing 6/8 in total.
Limerick had more space and time yesterday. If you didn’t look good yesterday you never will.

1 Like

Ronan Lynch or Dowling will have to start to take the frees one would suspect. At the moment I’d be leaning towards dowling. Ronan Lynch has oodles of hurling but just don’t seem to have any stand out position. He’s great vision and always gets his head up to pick out a pass but isn’t probably defensive minded enough to make it in the half back line.

Corbett is looking like a proper centre back. Gives great strength and presence to the team along with Treacy in front of him.

Kerry had 8 from 2016 championship sides starting.
Jason Foley is good, very fast and could well get a starting place. Think he was minor in 2015 so is progressing quickly.

He’s captain of their 21s this year.