Limerick GAA - Box Office

Ah that’s awful sad, a sound man, if a bit of a chancer

Ya, he took ill in Ballybunion on Sunday and had to be airlifted to hospital. He had a few health problems in recent years. He was at the races on Thursday night. A right rogue and will be badly missed in the West Limerick GAA scene.

2 Likes

We had him coaching us for both football and hurling one year. No sign of him before one of the football championship games. Turns up just as the ball was being thrown in, bedecked in full golf gear, still even had the glove on :smile:

10 Likes

Lovely doon and ballybrown is fixed for killmallock.

2 Likes

There are some great stories about his time in management.

He was managing two clubs one year and brought the two of them together for a friendly and charged both of them for his presence :grinning:

I remember him doing summer camps when we were younger and he’d tell everyone to throw their hurls on the ground and he’d fuck them out from side to side into two different piles to make teams, which was fine, but it was also a tactic he employed while managing the Kerry senior team much to the bemusement of the lads involved.

4 Likes

I was coaching at the Summer Camps in my younger days and Gerry would have been the appointed supervisor over the younger coaches. He’s arrive on the first morning to make surew all was in order and the next we’d see of him would be on the Friday evening to take the photos with whatever county star turned up.

Darragh O’Se told a few of us a great story about him a few years ago, when Gerry was involved with Finuge. Finuge left him go when results werent going there way. Lets just day Jerry didnt leave empty handed and Finuge pitch went uncut for a few weeks!!

1 Like

You can be sure he got paid for the full week as well.

Himself and the usual crew were at the gate a few weeks ago collecting for West Junior B football championship, €7 a head to get in. €7 fucking euros to watch that shit (I was playing and I found it tough to watch). Anyway there was 3 of them there on the gate and (not exaggerating) 4 in attendance. I can guarantee the mileage claims were greater than the takings. Gangsters.

The Kerry lads reckon he spent 75% of his time managing them on the phone in the stand facing away from the pitch :grinning:

1 Like

It was the cretins paying him at fault.

He was a likeable rogue. He once sent off a lad in Harty Cup Hurling and the game went into extra time. He refused to allow the team back to 15 players because they were giving him too much lip!

He was training Tournafulla one year but their first round of the championship clashed with a general election and Gerry wasn’t going to give up his handy number at the polling station! Tour were beaten and there was war!!

RIP Gerry

2 Likes

RIP

My auld lad knew him since they were kids.

I remember he travelled to the 1997 League Final with us in Ennis (the one that was played in October or something). Gas man for throwing abuse at referees.

1 Like

As far as I can see the only certainty it has produced now is that half the decent players in the county have fecked off to America. Patrickswell handing out walkovers in the ACHL. Patrickswell ffs?

This Doon v BB game is shaping up to be a farce. I think I’ll go to it just for the laugh…

Be interesting to see how it’s priced

1 Like

In the US -
10 of this years u21 squad. Last year’s u21 half-back line and keeper. Plus a further 3 current seniors and 3 recent seniors. And 5 of the senior football panel.

Make of that what you will.

Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7fchtEJpy8

1 Like

Young lads are out of everything county wise and see an opportunity to have serious craic in the states for 6 weeks?

2 Likes

And make a few quid and actually play hurling while they could be sat at home in county limerick playin nathin instead

The bastards. If I was in their shoes I wouldn’t even contemplate such treachery

1 Like

You’d be sat at home with your thumb up your hole and observe the drinking ban

Anyone who went to America will miss one club game.
If they moved games forward into July and August they would miss more. The championship is nearly structured to allow lads the luxury of going away for a couple of months of the Summer. I really don’t see the issue here.

3 Likes

It was agreed by clubs at the star of the year to have no championship game in June and July. To allow teams a break and lads to do exams.

1 Like