Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

From Patrickswell so according to Google maps around hour and half

Granted I havenā€™t seen him this year but I canā€™t see Flanagan being parachuted in at full forward. Stranger things have happened I suppose. In recent years the early season team generally has little enough resemblance to the championship team. Itā€™s fairly hard to judge how lads will be playing in summer. Iā€™d like to see Nash and Downes starting and think that one or both of them will, but neither merits a start based on the last year.

We must have potentially the biggest set of forwards we have ever had, even without hannon. Nash, Dowling, Morrissey, Downes and Hayes are big men, Dempsey and the two Lynches not small either, do we really need to be making a forward out of Hegarty?

If you started in moate it wouldnā€™t take as long.

Flanangan is streets ahead of downes and nash. Flanagan will make a full backs life an absolute nighmare and has way more hurling than downes. Far tougher than nash. Iā€™m not sure where this stuff about downes getting a chance is coming from. He must be 27 this year? Heā€™s had plenty of chances and done absolutely nothing of note. If 10 balls come into him he wouldnā€™t catch one of them against a good fullback. Dunno where people are going selecting him. Heā€™s grand in club hurling hurling where you get second and third chances to win a ball.

1 Like

Lots of people take that view, thereā€™s lots of players have gotten lots more chances. I think youā€™re wrong and Downes has been hampered variously by allenā€™s impact sub policy, TJ being a dope, and a fuck load of injuries. Heā€™s good in the air but is best running onto the ball. Na P using him as a very stationary ff not getting the best out of him, last few matches heā€™s come alive when moved centre forward. Weā€™ll see where heā€™s at at the end of the season.

THats the big difference between the likes of hayes and flanagan And say downes and Barry nash. Hayes and Flanagan thrive when thereā€™s belts flying and proper physical hurling. They love it and it brings out the best of them. No surprise Flanagan had a quite game v Laois it was a pudding game. Downes would score 4 goals versus Laois for you and look like christy ring. Guaranteed next week Flanagan will lead the charge for you. Heā€™ll wear Hurleyā€™s Off the cunts And if heā€™s fouled heā€™ll give it back to the cunts in spades. Unlike his dad he has hurling in spades. Best forward we have.

Facts are downes made his championship debut in 2011 And scores 2-1. Since then heā€™s amassed 1-17 in championship hurling. That isnā€™t good enough. If downes is to play a part it will be as sub. He could go well as a corner forward isolated on a small corner back. If he got low diagonal ball he might turn his man and get a goal for you.

1 Like

And he tagged me into the darkest pit in the internet for that? Fuck you @Julio_Geordio

In how many minutes?

He played a good 250 plus minutes in 2014 against tipp, cork, wexford and Kilkenny. Managed a grand total of 3 points. These games were when limerick played extremely well and heā€™d plenty of chances. Itā€™s time to move on. Heā€™s a grand fella and all that but heā€™s had umpteen chances and never done it. Time to move on.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say the only reason hegarty is playing corner forward is to sharpen up his hurling a bit. Heā€™s a real leader in the dressingroom. The type of fella that not only leads the way but lads will also follow. Heā€™s extremely well respected and his hurling will improve rapidly as heā€™s extremely unexposed to high level hurling. Heā€™s the fittest and strongest player on the panel too. Come championship I expect him to line out at 12 and be used to shut down the oppositions launching pad in their half back line. Mark Coleman, De Burca And heā€™ll relish a tussle with Paudie maher. Have no fear hegarty will step up to the plate come championship.

6 Likes

I would agree fully with the points re Hegarty, he is never going to be a huge score getter but he could have a huge influence on how easy ball is broken as a Coleman, De Burca, Maher, McInerney would all struggle to win clean ball off him. A real pity Robbie Hanley is no available, even with his piss poor striking he reminds me of Bonnar Maher, if Limerick donā€™t manage to utilize him it will be a pity.

Exceptionally excellent posting here Apple, youā€™re rocking the forum here today.

Ah fuck it - you have me hyped to death at this stage.

Weā€™ll bate the bollox off any one

Someone name a pub near Bord Na Mona Oā€™Connor Park for pre match pints.

Eugene Kellys on the corner.

I read that the same way as youā€™d talk about a horse. Spin over hurdles to sharpen him up, unexposed at the top level and open to massive improvement.

5 Likes

:ok_hand::ok_hand:

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Hanley couldnā€™t be any worse than Bonnar striking wise?