Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

As I said earlier it needs to be scraped. It’s totally pointless and nobody gives a fuck at that grade. 1000 squids to enter and you might get 3 games at ridiculous times, dates and conditions. It’s time to move on. Minor is the pinnacle.

My favourite days hurling were u21 club hurling in the muck and shit in November and December. Its the last time you play with a lot of your close friends

4 Likes

You have a point but is this where people want to see the game going . The GAA is in big trouble in Limerick . The recent success at minor and u21 level & the current decent senior performances are papering over huge cracks in the county . The development squad model is sucking up huge time and capital . Bar the veneer of few big clubs there is a massive rot underneath .

The viability of the game is based on a good crop of players from 21 to 24 . If there is no success in the next 3 years I do fear .

1 Like

Spot on . Great times . Mud , blood & beer .

1 Like

Yes but we’re not back in the day anymore. 21s at A and B level are filled with lads being begged to play, a few good minors and the talented club players. You rarely see 12 or 13 lads at the age having come up together. It’s normally a few from 5 different age groups.

2 finals, 2 years in a row, winning 1. :ronnyroar:

2 Likes

I’ve being saying it for 4 years Gaa is dying out in clubs for years you’ve a rancid operation inside in ard scoil ris back boned by Pwell, adare, nap and ballybrown along with a good few lads from clare. Covering up the total mess were in. Too many lads that don’t make the 14 ard scoil ris team are being turned away because of it. I really hope Seamus Flanagan makes it for limerick as it would be a massive boast to that area. I was rared on stories of adare v killedy back in the 70s and 80s and those other big best derbies with characters like don Flynn. Killeedy v tour would have attracted thousands. It’s a great shame all that is gone.

2 Likes

Sadly true. ASR regularly getting to and winning Harty Cup finals (with always four or five Clare lads starting) gives a misleading picture about the overall health of hurling in the county. Would love to see John the Baptist or Hazelwood or Doon regularly up there competitive and providing lads from unheralded clubs.

The big four or five clubs at senior doing ok, everyone else from senior to junior is struggling. Clubs haemorraging (spelling?) players all over the place.

The west junior championship was massive when I was in primary school. Remember being dragged to matches when I was knee high to a grass hopper. Seemed to be thousands at those games. Croagh/Kilfinny beat us by something like 0-06 to 0-04 back in one west junior final in the early 90’s back in Newcastle, it had the buzz of a senior AI. Everyone from both parishes was at it. Now some of the tackles back then would land you in court today but that’s a different story. Nowadays the final barely attracts a decent crowd. Pity it’s gone that way.

2 Likes

Boys

Do Knockane field a junior b football team anymore ???

They did last year.

1 Like

As long as spunky Tom has the pub up the road.

I was involved with our 21s this year. We played the City Final like 2 hours before the Limerick-Clare game; obviously we had to play without our county player.

We were missing a few other lads for various reasons, and ended up losing after extra-time but the lads who were there put in a savage effort. But it’s not really fair on those lads either; if we had our best player, we would have won and very probably would have won the county.

1 Like

I saw them a few times last year and they’re not bad at all. Those 3 Hurleys are nice players, and Jamie Lee is still a serious threat, and then you have Mike Mac on the frees plus the likes of Quilligan who is handy.

But that’s a tough group. Effin may have lost all their games last year, and don’t have a huge pick but they might have been slightly unlucky. They’ll be there or thereabouts contending, I think they’re a good team.

Glenroe & D/A should both beating NCW; again, they just have a bit too much firepower, I would think.

A few of G/B’s big players are getting on but Denis O’Connor pulled out some massive performances when he had to last year, and Dodge is still a fine player. They need Condron to be available to add more to their attack, I think and I wouldn’t really fancy them outright.

I hear Granagh are playing Ballingarry in a soccer match on Friday night, and they have to play hurling with each other the next day. If NCW do catch them on the hop, would be huge for their confidence.

The Milford man is back!

1 Like

I don’t understand why the county board don’t just employ him? He seems to get results quicker than clubs have them.

Was on Boyles there and they have a few interesting markets priced up.

Limerick to lose all 4 group matches 15/2
Limerick to win all 4 group matches 20/1
Limerick to qualify for Munster Final 15/8
Limerick to top the group after 4 group matches 9/2
Limerick to finish bottom of the group after 4 group matches 9/4
How many group matches will Limerick win? Over 1.5 is 8/11 and Under 1.5 is Evens

Limerick are too much of an unknown to be placing any decent money on them … there’s fuck all between Limerick, Clare, Cork and Waterford except experience… Both Cork and Waterford will be completely different teams when the ground hardens up - the bones of that Clare team have been together 5 years now… Lot’s of optimism about Limerick but still problems all along the spine of the team and they are as raw as fuck.

In saying that you’d be crazy not to put 50 notes on Limerick to win all 4 matches.

2 Likes

Some interesting prices for this weekend’s fixtures. There must be some value in Doon @ 7/4 against NaP. Doon will have been targeting this for a few months; not sure how NaP dealt with the short turnaround- probably only had a week or two off; and no Peter Casey.

Adare 5/2 against the Well too; the Sparrow is back there; very likely there’ll be a bit of a bounce. Gillane’s ankle is still at him too.

The two Saturday matches are on Eir, the Sunday one is on TG4.

I’m calling this now. Peter Casey will not start v Tipp come May. Barry Murphy will hold his place in the corner.

Doon will also beat Na Piarsaigh this weekend.