Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

Yes thats what I meant Primary schools. Doon is a perfect example of what can be done and Lisnagry also. Two principals who lived and breathed hurling after retiring in the last few years dominated those schools,

Doon are a brilliant club with a great nursery in the school. It would be nice to see them win a senior title .

Doon are lucky to be on the Tipp border where they have to keep their standards high.

1 Like

If only we had a rich benefactor to throw money at the gameā€¦

Lads can any of ye give me opinions on limerick senior games at weekend , I presume all the favourites should be thrown in my weekly accum ?

When/who was the last Tipp club to win the Club AI?

Iā€™ll have some of that

Yes . They are surrounded by some really wonderful clubs in Tipperary :joy::joy:

I have been listening to this crap about club hurling in limerick being as good as the likes of Tipperary .

Fair enough Kilmallock , NAP are as good as any but when you go past the top ten teams then your at straws.

Example :

There are 30 senior teams in Tipperary , I can safely guarantee that all of them would beat cappamore (limerick 11/12th best terms)

Tipps 11th best team as per PADDY power is upper church who are 15 points better than cappamore . Fact.

So what?

Iā€™m not that familiar with Tipp club hurling but I do know that a good few of those senior teams are no great shakes.

Limerick club standards are shocking

Another Tipp man obsessed with Limerick hurling.

No Iā€™m just looking for a few tips , any help ?

Upperchurch to beat Cappamore by 15.

3 Likes

Glorified intermediates.

Adare went to the well for the first time in about 5 years for the final round of league games with a full team bar Wayne Mc and got their arses handed them by a half a well junior team. Hannon was rinced at 6 by jack Kellerher.

Those clubs are still producing good players- the two Ahernes and Magnier Flynn are very good forwards and the Flanagans, Lynch, Butler and Fitzgibbon are all fine hurlers. But even with that, itā€™s keeping the other less talented but still decent players involved that is key. So that you can field teams at all levels.

That said, I think Killeedy will be promoted and will do fine at intermediate.

Iā€™m probably too young to know for sure but I do get the feeling that people are looking back with rose-tinted goggles a bit. Was there ever a time where small clubs didnā€™t struggle for numbers? Or where sides gave walkovers underage?

I do accept that West clubs definitely used to be
be stronger.

Has Newcastlewest ever produced a hurler of any note? Absolutely shameful how a big town like that produces such a non existent hurling return. Itā€™s areas like that the CB should be targetting.

The whole thing needs a root and branch review but the vision just isnā€™t there to lay out say a 10/20 year plan the sport in the west. Weā€™ve politicians in the important positions, rather than visionaries and goal setters. The same lads running the west board that were there when I was playing as a child. The annoying thing is that the support is there among the ordinary club members if the thing takes off but thereā€™s such apathy and lethargy there at the moment. So many clubs just drifting along and surviving rather than trying to be successful and thrive.

As a county weā€™re failing miserably, despite the odd underage title and the blowing about how professional the academy is. (ā€œProfessionalā€ = throwing money at well remunerated outside coaches.)

You look at Tipp and how theyā€™ve set targets to win AI football titles in a certain timeframe. People will scoff at them, including some of their own but at least thereā€™s some ambition there. Weā€™ve nothing. Hoping for success rather than acknowledging that the game is on its deathbed in large swathes of the county.

Sad to see proper traditional clubs like Croom, Kileedy, Tour, Knockaderry and others at such a low ebb and not much sign of things improving.

2 Likes