Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

I think you’re being harsh there. There is some truth there, but I thought there was definite more positive intentions than last year and no team hurling at this time of the year is any bit sharp. Things should speed up as conditions improve.

The same is true of Clare and I don’t know if we’ll be ready to go toe to toe with the likes of Tipp in the summer but you start with the attitude, work rate and gameplan at this time of year and see how it goes.

2 Likes

Attitude and workrate were good, to be fair. The gameplan is what will kill us.

I thought there was a noticeable improvement in workrate without the ball. A lot of lads looked out on their feet with ten to go,from both sides.

Clare were poor and had a fairly strong team out but it’s not all doom and gloom for them. I thought they had good displays from Frodo & Bilbo Baggins, Peregrin Took and Samwise Gamgee

5 Likes

Byrnes was our standout player in 2015, but he has regressed an awful lot. He’s incredibly wasteful with the ball. Dan Morrissey has hit a good vein of form, but is another player whose instinct is to run rather than deliver. I’d prefer if he stayed in the forwards but I can see Kyle Hayes getting redeployed, particularly with Hannon out for the majority of the league.

Byrnes was decent in 2016 but there was a lot of rough edges . Clare made a total hero of him the night in thurles .

He is back after a lost year and willl improve . He will be grand . Very early .

In January? G’way out of that :astonished:

2 Likes

Podge is absolutely sound and a smashing player, wish we had him.

Can you expand a bit? Overdoing short passing?

Gillane a super player but have my reservations that he’ll be ready to start this summer. Hegarty was lost in the inside line last year, I can’t understand why they’d put him there.

Sounds like Hickey did well at full back but O’Donnell is a different prospect on hard grand.

It was an observation, you banjo playing redneck little bollix

2 Likes

Tipp in two weeks. Awful. - 10 tipp get on.

It was so sharp you should probably put it away til later in the year Einstein

It’s only a pre-season game mate, there’s no need to get yourself all worked up over it.

Good man

Can’t read much into today’s game - Clare were chronically abysmal and the conditions suited us for sure. Limerick for all possession and space we had in the forwards to create havoc we only scored 16 points (10 from play) and didn’t threaten a goal once. The league is the real test. I am worried about it being honest. I don’t think we have what it takes to get promoted. Highlight of my day was supermacs

Thanks for your comments Shane. Best of luck in the club All Ireland

8 Likes

We did miss a lot of chances, and the lack of a goal threat was a bit of a worry, even at this time of year. You could say that the Clare full-back line did an okay job in some senses, they pushed the Limerick forwards away from goal. There were a couple of times it did half open up but the final pass wasn’t good enough or we just weren’t ruthless enough. The one where Flanagan was fouled was probably the closest that we would have got. In defence of that, it really was a day for backs; all a back had to do was get a physical challenge in and it was unlikely the forward was picking it up first time. Once a ruck develops, very hard to create a goal chance.

I complain about refs as much as anyone, and I don’t think McAllister is a good ref, but some of the Clare fans around me seemed to be horrified that there were any sort of physical challenges going in. Were screaming for fellas to be sent off at fairly routine challenges, and couldn’t believe someone would lay their hands on poor Tony. There probably were a few dodgy challenges but in general, I just thought we were way more physical than them. If they were crying about that, imagine what it’ll be like if they come up against the monsters they’re producing in Galway these days.

1 Like

Sound mate, must sicken you that i have numerous county medals, munster club medals, all ireland club medal, munster senior medal, harty cups and an all star to my name and I’m still only in my early twenties.

6 Likes

Flanagan showed well totally agree with you on that one. Bigger tests lie ahead, today was a mickey mouse affair. shit hurling in shit conditions,

Tom Morrissey MOTM today - taken off in most u21 c’ship games last year - shit and muck suited him

Flanagan - sub on 21’s barely got a game - started well this year but let’s wait and see until we play a big team in a meaningful game - in somewhat decent conditions.

AS always you guys are getting carried away with a game in January

We need to improve and hopefully we do.

1 Like

Not one person here is getting carried away with the win. It’s the 15th of January.

Ye may as well stay at home Joe, Davy and Wexford will destroy ye.