Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

Cusack is Monaleen you are correct.

Absolutely not. Training for football? Are you mad?

When we were trying to get up out of intermediate years in hurling ago we were going well in the football simultaneously. Anyway coming up to the hurling county quarter or semi final one of the best players on the hurling team got injured playing football. The auld lads in the club (including d-k senior) were livid. That pretty much put an end to football.

New manager in for the junior Bā€™s this year but interest (in terms of fulfilling fixtures) will only turn to that once the hurlers have secured safety and avoided the drop to junior.

Pity really, the bones of a good football team there over the last decade but no interest. Got to a county football semi at junior a few years back. Was played on a Sunday morning, the day after a big GAA wedding in the parish. Lads who were in the residents bar enjoying themselves ended up playing only a few hours later. Only narrowly beaten too. The crowd that beat us went on to win it.

Ed is from the Granagh side. Surprised heā€™s on the panel in all honesty.

Football is frowned upon in the other side of the parish. :slight_smile:

Johnny Mac and Seanie Buckley retirements confirmed in the Leader.

Johnny Mac was one of the best backs I have ever seen play. Snuffed out some of the best forwards around. A warrior, a great servant and heā€™ll be sorely missed.

Buckley was a fine forward, a real leader too. Some man for kicking ridiculous points from distance when we needed them most. Injuries hurt him in recent years, and like McCarthy and others from that generation, surely deserved more than a Division 4 title.

4 Likes

SHAne Doherty would be 26 or 27 is from ballingary I think but plays with adare. Outstanding soccer player.

1 Like

Anyone from St Pats good enough for the senior football panel

Slim, Jim.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a few but none interested, it would appear.

Keelan Stephenson would be one anyway worth a shot anyway.

Gearoid Hegarty would be perfect but John Kiely is stil persisting with trying to make a hurler out of him.

And a sharp-shooting corner forward at that too.

2 Likes

Whatever about wing forward I canā€™t wrap my head around this. If it comes right Kiely the greatest hurling genius of all timeā€¦

I think the chances of Kiely turning out to be the greatest hurling genius of all time, and the chances of Hegarty turning into a good corner forward are fairly similar.

5 Likes
1 Like

The moves of Hannon and Hickey went well. Dowling okish, and Hegarty at wing forward okish. Hopefully this corner forward experiment was an aberration.

Stephenson is a decent player alright. Hegarty is a obviously the standout, probably the best player in Limerick full stop.

They have other fellas who have soccer commitments, Hanrahan could have been a fine inside forward for example.

Good post. I fully agree that the night in Portlaoise beating Wexford in 2011 was a great night. There was a stampede onto the pitch at full time in case the ref thought about playing any additional injury time. Iā€™d definitely rate it as the best day following the footballers.

My favourite hurling moments were beating Waterford in 07 and Clare in 96. It was sweet getting the back to back in 2013 and 2014 against Tipp, Donal Oā€™Gradyā€™s monster point and Hannonā€™s winner from out in front of the uncovered stand in 2013 in particular (hence the profile pic). The 10 minutes of torrential rain and thunder in Croke Park in the 2014 semi final against Kilkenny when we absolutely horsed into them was brilliant as well, the more it rained and lightening flashed the better we hurled and more physical we got. Such a pity we couldnā€™t win it but I was immensly proud to be a Limerick man that day.

Iā€™m not even sure Hegarty at half forward will work (think heā€™s better facing the ball), but corner forward is mental altogether. At least at FF you could see some logic to it.

Thereā€™s a fair 15, that would give the actual 15 a run for it, that could be picked of lads not playing for Limerick for one reason or another sadly.

Bring on BORRRRRISSSS
Bring on BORRRRRISSSS

4 Likes

Itā€™s kinda unfair on the fellas who do commitā€¦ I mean this happens every year nearly. The talk is of the players who donā€™t play.

Hayes
Cahill McCarthy Browne
Riordan Corbett Oā€™Donovan
Hegarty Oā€™Donoghue
Oā€™Donovan Jim-Bob Buckley
Hanrahan Ryan Collins

1 Like