Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Hickey set a very high standard for himself in 2007 and bar 2014 very rarely meet those standards again. There was probably a load of reasons why but I think that’s why he was maligned by fans.

Not unlike the much maligned Timmy McCarthy.

Until Brian Geary stopped him and took it off him. That game was yet another gallant defeat in that era for Limerick.

Things were great when the Krays ran the east end

The Kk “ idiots “ were generally eulogizing lads with at least 5 all Ireland medals . The owe us nothing thing was pointless .

Good man Seamus.

Bit surprised he has called it a day to be honest. With a young family and everything probably as good a time as any to bow out on such a high.

That point in 2014. Ah Jesus. What a moment. Up in the terrace with my uncle who had been at nearly match against them when they had beaten us or only drawn with them in Thurles in the previous 40 years. Bedlam when that went over and the full time whistle went seconds later.

That display in the semi final was an exhibition in defending. Rarely you see TJ Reid wiped out like that.

Always felt he was almost too honest and clean to play corner back. Still had a fine career. Young hurler of the year, All-Star, Munster and All-Ireland medal. His versatility probably worked against him at times. He was a huge loss in the semi final in ‘13.

Always be grateful to him for helping smuggle a few of us into the party at the old Docs niteclub the night of the 2013 Munster final too!

4 Likes

he said the lads are with me? hardly smuggling

1 Like

Seamie made his Championship debut in 2006, when he came on as a sub against Tipp for the injured Denny Moloney who was having an unbelievable first season. Moloney did his cruciate when landing awkwardly. Moloney was never the same again, Hickey won YHOTY the following year.

A strange decision in my opinion. He had a real opportunity with injuries to get a lot of game time in the league. As always with a player unfairly maligned like him, we’ll see what we have to replace him now. Won’t be as easy as the boo boys thought at all.

2 Likes

He’s a loss in the sense that we are not overburdened with full back line or half back line options. Two of the other experienced campaigners, while ahead of him in the pecking order, wouldn’t be in the same physical shape at this age.

Condon is back in training anyway so going nowhere for now.

I’d imagine he’ll be as missed off the field as on it.

I’d say he brought a lot to the dressing room with his experience. He’d be a good lad to bring on a youngfella I’d say

Fair play to condon, would have thought he’d be the more likely to go and that of the two hickey would be more likely to break back into the team.

I would think Condon might get a few league games .

I agree. But it looked like the manager gave a clear indication of the revised pecking order with some of the subs made as the season wore on, so maybe the writing was on the wall for him.

Condon mightn’t get on the panel lads. He might be back training but the legs have gone and he’s getting dirty. He always played on the edge but he’s borderline untrustworthy

Fuck. That post could have been written 5 years ago.

He’s going out on his own terms with an AI to his name. A terrific servant that was unfairly maligned by many including myself down through the years.

3 Likes

The question is who is there to replace him

You are welcome.

“It has been God’s great blessing and an enormous privilege to wear the Limerick jersey from my teenage years through my entire adult life.

It is an even greater blessing to have been part of an incredible group of people in 2018 and to deliver to Limerick what the proud sporting county deserved: the Liam McCarthy.

I have now decided to step away from the Limerick senior hurling panel. I am eternally grateful to my club Murroe Boher, to the GPA for their incredible support and guidance, to the exceptional teammates I’ve had, the inspiring managers, the perennially selfless backroom teams, the successes, the failures and everything I have learned along the way.

It was all made possible by the phenomenal support I receive constantly from my extraordinary wife and children, my parents and my family. They have given so much of themselves so that I could live my dream. My dream off the field has now grown bigger than the one on it and I look forward to being the very best husband, father, brother and son I can be.

God is good, Luimneach abú!”

5 Likes