Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

fuck it… Ollie Moran was a savage back alright. Did we only move him into forwards because we were so fucked for options

Accountants dinner.

Dow, Dec, Cian & Simon on a panel with Donn as mc.
They were very good.

Simon said he had a dolly bird along to see him play a game with Doon who did not know much about hurling. She asked him how she would recognise him on the field. He advised that he would be wearing a black helmet to which she replied they would all have helmets.
So he said he would wear his socks up, he played well and has continued to do so since

5 Likes

Great when things were going well such as MF final 1994 went missing too often when the chips were down

1 Like

A more realistic conversation would be who’d survive in a cross over.
Only a few guys that could have made it in the current era from the 94/96 teams. Maybe Carey (if he could have reined in his social life), Galligan, Quigley, Foley, Steve Mac, Clarke, Quaid.
Going the other way you could make a case for most of them to have made that team. The likes of Condon & R Mac would have been ideal in that era and the Dow would have been even more of a God than he is now. But you can’t compare. What weight would those three lads be in a pre S&C environment for example?

Imagine Byrnes and Foley as a wing back pairing :joy: The umpires would have had to be replaced at half time due to exhaustion from waving it wide.

4 Likes

I could play corner forward with them two out the field…

the cunting thing would never go in

This is more like it arguing about lads from the 90s rather than next year will be our year :popcorn:!

1 Like

Reale wasn’t so long ago that he couldn’t have crossed over.
Joe inside in goals definitely could have.

Houla wouldn’t last 10 minutes before getting the line these days alright

I think all of us to a man would excuse them a year off in 2019.

1 Like

I’d be moving Declan back up to the forwards anyways to accommodate more “liginds” in the backs. There’s a video up on Fbook with some great scores I’d forgotten about that he’d knocked over from wing-forward.

Jesus we had some piss poor forwards over the years. You could nearly select three entirely different full back lines in comparison.

1 Like

no wonder rasher kept bating the ball over the bar or 40 yards wide. It used to come out too quick if he let it in

I’ll give your game a go but only with more recent players of say between the 2007 team and this year, a bit more of a realistic comparison with some crossover etc.

I’m probably missing someone really obvious :see_no_evil:

Nickie Quaid - Only option really

Reale - unrealeable
Richie Mac - Had some great days in some dark times, harsh on Casey probably
Finn - best since Reale, may even surpass him in time

Lucey, Casey, English all unlucky to miss out.

Gavin O’Mahony - Foley would be here but only on pre 2007 form, so not really sure I should include him :thinking:
Hannon - Him or Geary, we struggled big time here in the gap between the two holding the centre. Could push Hannon half and put Geary in but that’s a fudge. I’m not here to fudge.
Morrissey - An unrale year gets him in just about

Byrnes, Hickey, Geary all had a shout

Lynch and Dodge. Easy enough really. Jim Bob, Browne & O’Donovan in the conversation. Browne with probably the best claim.

Hayes - Had to be in for me even over such a short period
Ollie Moran - Not even his best position but he had some great days for us at CF and in this time period that’s where he played
Tom Morrissey - Same as Hayes, has already done enough

Mike Fitz had a couple of great years (or one more realistically), Hegarty could replace Ollie in time but not yet.

Shaughs - A cert
Dowling - I’d always have him in the team
Graham Mul - For sheer staying power if nothing else

Hardest line to pick. Begley v unlucky, Donie Ryan is in a league of his own, Gillane & Flanagan will hopefully make it impossible to pick in time

3 Likes

great reasoning and a great team…

I think wayne mac is either harshly treated or not remembered by lots of lads… he did well at centre back for a while I thought

peter casey is a future hall of famer in the inside line as well

I think I’m quite close to you. I’d probably go:

J. Quaid
D. Reale R. McCarthy S. Finn
D. Byrnes B. Geary M. Foley
C. Carey C.Lynch
T. Morrissey O. Moran D. Hannon
A. O’Shaughnessy S. Dowling G. Mulcahy

Good team

we got 4 v Cork. Beefy got 2 and Kirby got 2

1 Like

Murray Reale Lucey Finn Byrnes Geary Foley Carey Lynch Morrissey Hayes Moran OShaughnessy Kirby Mulcahy

1 Like

Hi Brian

2 Likes

Agreed on Wayne Mac, seemed to rise to the challenge of the championship and should be in the conversation.
Agreed on Casey as well, hopefully next year he can get the game time.

Wayne even popped in with a few goals from back there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezlvCQ-k7Wc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c8YXB6XJ4I

He got one great one low into the corner from a long way out, can’t remember who it was against now. I’m useless for remembering that kind of stuff.