Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Ronan Curran and Brian Hogan Top quality Gearoid Mcilnerney best of modern era DeBurca has his qualities too

I put up the videos there. Clare and Waterford… both were from wing back but he did a fine job in the centre replacing Gears

The Waterford one I was thinking of. Great finish

lovely build up to it too. He was a fair man to hit a good shoulder. He wasn’t overly big either.

In the 90’s we had 6 backs who invariably played well. They were pretty tough defenders. We had a very decent midfield but after that if was a case of hoping one of th eothers would help Gary. If one or two got the better of their players you would probably win. If he was on hos own you were fucked. Younever got 2 good games from one of the others. Quigley got an all star in 94 and I’d say he was taken off in every match bar the 94 final.Actually I’d say all thesubstitutions in the 94-96 era were in the forwards.

Its a different sport now. We didn’t do game plans and tactics back then.

2 Likes

McDonagh, Carey, Foley and Shaughs are the only certs from previous eras, a lot of the current lads have only one year of senior hurling to speak of, tough team to pick.
Mike Galligan was a lovely hurler, one of my favourites from that era

1. Donie Ryan
  2. Donie Ryan
    etc
2 Likes

Galligan was streaky, if he got the better of man he could have a hape of points fired over. If he was out of a game you’d be as well off playing with 14.

I agree though… Lovely hurler.

Galligan would have been much better suited to the modern era where he could be reasonably confident nobody would attempt to murder him. He got a name for being windy and backs just started going to town on the chap.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

J.Quaid
Reale
English
McDonagh
Lawlor
Carey
Foley
Houla
Lynch
O Moran
Kirby
Hannon
Mulcahy
Shaughs
Donie.

Very hard to pick for me because this years winners are so young and most have years left in their careers I went with the best and most potential of the current crop.

2 Likes

Lawlor is a good shout.
An awful shame we didn’t get more out of him

One of the most natural hurlers ive ever seen, had both his best and worst days against KK in 05 and 07.

At least Lawlor made some fist of it. Eoin Foley was the one that got away :sleepy:

didn’t he come on randomly one year below in Thurles a few years after he went AWOL. I don’t think he was even listed on the panel the year I’m talking about

When did James Butler disappear from the panel? His goal down in Cork in 2001 was one of the best Limerick scores I can remember an absolute bullet.

1 Like

Father from Cark of course.

Eoin Foley was some hurler at u21 level. A tough cunt too. We played Waterford in the u21 championship in Kilmallock in 2003 after having won the 3 in a row. He was still underage. Both teams ran out of the dressing rooms in Kilmallock at the same time and as they were going in the gate Foley made a dart for Waterfords Eoin Kelly and absolutely stuck him to the concrete post by the gate with a showlder, I fuckin loved it

1 Like

N Quaid
McDonagh
Lucey
Hickey
O’Mahony
Carey
Foley
Dodge
Lynch
Ollie
Kirby