Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Quigley isn’t in the conversation at all, I wouldn’t have Houluhan best the team either

he got 2-3 in an All Ireland final lad

They are all great teams. Well done to all.

That day against Tipp was hardly Lucey’s fault, he was an outstanding full back who dragged us through a number of games. Hickey not a defender is just silly. TJ deserves to be in there, he spent most of his career in the forwards so I’m working him in there. Quigley was an all star corner forward when we hadn’t an inside forward of note for decades. Dodges consistency over years puts him ahead of houlihan. Lynch has to be midfield which shifts Carey to centre back and Geary unlucky to be edged out.

2 Likes

Declan Hannon probably the next best hurler behind Cian Lynch that we’ve had since Ciarán Carey and not featuring in some teams, mind warping stuff

1 Like

Stop will you. Outstanding me hole

He played in the backs and is a very good hurler but never was a defender

He did yeah. Probably reflects on the rest if you think he was a forward. Jaysus he would hit it 10 yards wide as likely as put it over.

An all star in one game.

I know who I’d prefer to mark and it isn’t Mike

Geary unlucky to lose out.? Jaysus Brian was ok but you’d turn an artic quicker

1 Like

I must have a think about my team over the weekend.

Some thoughts however…

Stephen McDonagh would be on my team all day. My auld man absolutely loved him as he does Finn now. I’d have McDonagh above Reale and others. Although Sean Finn will overtake them all in time hopefully.

2009 against Tipp aside, Lucey was always an excellent and vital player for us. Peter Lawlor was also consistently great on many of the frustrating days during the 00’s. The 2 Croom lads would be very close. Teege was a bit like Lawlor, often a stand out player when the rest of the team were struggling. Very consistent.

2 Likes

I was chatting to Pat Ryan ‘Simon’ today. A very nice lad, himself and Darragh O’Donovan’s dislike for Tipperary was evident which holds them in higher esteem.

8 Likes

N Quaid
Finn
McCarthy
McDonagh
Foley
Carey
O’Mahony
Dodge
Lynch
Moran
Kirby
Morrissey
Shaughs
Dowling
Mulcahy.

Plenty of lads could have been picked but that’s the way these things go. Hannon probably the big omission.

2 Likes

i think Carey, Lynch, Ollie and Shaughs are the only four to make every team picked here. That’s a quick sconce over it so could be wrong

*wrong - Carey isn’t on all teams

Surprised with Ollie, I wouldn’t have had him as a cert.

:rofl:

Ollie at different stages was one of our best backs and one of our best forwards. A ferociously committed man

Quaid.

Reale, Mike Nash, McDonagh

Davy Clarke, Carey, Foley

Houla & Dodge ©

Ollie Moran, Kirby, Big Kyle

Shaughs, Sham Flan, Graeme Mul.

I fucking loved that team of the mid 90’s. Some absolutely brilliant days. Cork in the rain in ‘94 with Beefy running amok, walking over Clare in the Munster final, the Shaw’s jersey, THAT point v Clare in ‘96, the comeback against Tipp in ‘96. Just magical. Brilliant childhood memories. No tactics or S & C shite, just proper manly hurling,

Quaid - “you’ll win nothing without a Quaid in goals” is one of my favourite twee GAA sayings. Automatic. Insanely good shot stopper.

Reale - a genius. My favorite Limerick player I reckon. Soldiered on some God awful teams but my word, what a fucking defender. Pace, skill, intelligence, heart, grit, filth - everything you want in a corner back.

Mike Nash. No nonsense defender and chronically underrated. Tough to leave out Richie Mc.

McDonagh. Automatic pick. Terrific player. Just raw passion.

Clarke. The pocket rocket just gets in there ahead of Byrnes and Hannon. Just such a stylish, classy, elegant player. Gas man off field.

Carey - no explanation required.

Rashers - just a brilliant player.

Houla - has to be in there. The day inside against Clare when he nearly killed one of their lads, sweet Jesus!

Dodge - God

(Give it a few years and Lynch will have to be accommodated in here somewhere)

Ollie Moran - like Reale just was unlucky to be around in a desperately barren era for us. Could play him anywhere. Proper leader.

Kirby - a one man forward line for years. The day against Tipp below in Cork when he scored all our points bar two or three was a masterclass.

Kyle - the young prince has to be included. Just love the lads attitude. MOTM in an AI final at 20 - not a bother to him. Future senior captain.

Shaughs - what could have been but for that illness. The buzz when he got the ball. Nailing that dramatic late ‘65 against Tipp in game 2 of the Tipp trilogy. Running amok against Waterford in the semi final.

Flanagan - came of age against Galway in Salthill this year and carried that into the rest of the year. Ran Cork ragged in June when we were down to 14. That (legal) belt on McInerney in the final set the tone.

Graeme Mul - deadly. Horsing into that little prick Coleman in the drawn game was another highlight of the year. Uncanny ability to get scores when we were under the cosh. If only this fella had played under Kinnerk for the last decade.

Others unlucky to lose out include Finn and English (they’ll be there in a few years time), Brian Geary (terrific yet underrated servant), Wayne Mc, Darragh O’Donovan (Gattuso to Lynch’s Pirlo), Tom Morrissey and every other member of the 2018 panel.

5 Likes

Cian Lynch drops out of the on every team award.

Leaving Ollie and Shaughs

ah lovely… that’ll drive a few lads demented

1 Like

Who left out Ciaran? Ffs :smile:

a few lads but in fairness they said they were only picking from 2007 up.

1. N. Quaid
  2. D. Reale
  3. R. McCarthy
  4. S. Finn
  5. D. Byrnes
  6. C. Carey
  7. M. Foley
  8. D. O’Grady
  9. C. Lynch
  10. D. Hannon
  11. G. Kirby
  12. O. Moran
  13. A. O’shaughnessy
  14. S. Dowling
  15. G. Mulcahy

Was a toss up for right half back between Clarke, Lawlor and Byrnes. Gave Byrnes the nod cos he has the Celtic Cross in the back pocket

1 Like

It is an interesting one because while a lot of the current team are very young, they did what the team of the 90s never did- largely down to superior forwards. But the backs from that era and even the early 2000s… there were some super players there.

It’s tough; for example, in the full-back line, I’d say the three best in the era are Reale, McDonagh and FInn (already) but none of them played full-back.

I’ll go for:

Nicky
Finn Richie Reale
Clarke Carey Foley
Lynch Dodge
Kyler Kirby Moran
Shaughs Dowling Mulcahy

Hannon is very unlucky, and you could probably shoehorn him in half-back but he’s never really played there. If you were actually picking a team for the modern game, I’d probably go with Hannon at centre-back and use Carey in midfield. And while Foley was a super player and a warrior, he wouldn’t have been kind to players like Mulcahy & Shaughs.

Graeme Mul is pretty close to a certainty now, I would have thought. Always been very good and crowned it this year by being the best player as we won the All-Ireland.

2 Likes