Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Thanks for editing that dreadfully dull post to pick out the only bit of any interest mate :+1:

1 Like

Declan Hannon is the best hurling no. 6 in the country. He’s a class act, and was a brilliant forward for us too. 0-5 from play off of the great Brian Hogan in 2014 AISF. Moved back to centre back and has been a real leader in the past 3 years. Our 3rd best hurler behind Cian Lynch and Ciarán Carey over the last 25 years or so. Just a naturally gifted player.

Bat shit crazy stuff to be putting the likes of Davy Clarke on teams ahead of him IMHO. I loved Clarke but come on ffs…Even putting his club mate Foley on teams ahead of him is off the wall stuff. Foley made Byrnes look like a ‘heads up’ man

But Hannon has never played wing-back in Championship. Hannon vs Carey is a different matter altogether.

1 Like

But Carey did, Carey played in Half back line and midfield. Hannon at 6 for me all day. Ciarán a cert at either 5 or midfield with his nephew

That’s a fair point on Hannon.

One of the best decisions the management made when they took over was planting him at number 6. Completely solidified our previously porous defence.

When he finishes playing he’ll be an automatic on everybody’s team. Bit of nostalgia at play here with lads putting in favourites from years gone by.

Finn, English, Hannon and Lynch will all be automatic picks in a few years time.

Clarkey was a lovely hurler but he had no pace. I’ve one of his Hurleys out in the garage.

1 Like

If they win even one more All-Ireland, the current group would knock out most except the real outstanding stars- Carey, Shaughs and maybe Moran/Kirby.

1 Like

All things considered, one would have to look at the type of hurling played back in the 90s compared to today. In fairness Clare probably up the ant in the 90s and fitness and endurance more then anything won the day .
Hurling has obviously developed and todays game to some at least is unrecognisable compared to the 90. If you are of the opinion that it is now a better game then what players would be good enough for today’s grade.
Carey and Kirby would probably make the grade

That’s about it. Moving on to the 2000s. You’re looking at Shaughs , Ollie Moran and Dog.
That’s it.

:rofl:

The great players of the past would all have adapted if they had the will,
Ollie is a lovely fella and was a grand hurler with the heart of a lion but it’s gas that he’s on every team,

A man who seen Hurling before 2005. :clap:

Today’s players are way ahead largely due to modern sports science and all that entails . Also most IC hurlers now spend 4 -5 years in well resourced 3rd level colleges .

This is the same with most sports .

U21 winner too. Lads have short memories. :rollseyes:

That’s fair enough, coaching has improved hugely and modern day hurlers look far more impressive in most aspects, but the great players of the past would have adapted and thrives in the current era, but of course it’s silly talk,
Richie English’s stats would probably indicate that he’s better but Stevie McDonagh was better

The service he gave to limerick across both codes for so many years is pretty much unparalleled.

2 Likes

Agreed .

McDonagh was a super hurler . He also drove unfashionable bruree to win a county .

Probably my favorite Lk hurler . A real warrior . He would stand out in any era .

1 Like

Good call.

He’s had one good year you simpleton. :smile:

You’re right overall on Hannon. Lads probably don’t know whether to pet him as a half forward or a half back yet. He did have a couple years of a lull and was inconsistent in the forwards but he was immense this year. Dodgy is right, a brilliant call from kiely. I don’t get lads picking Flanagan at all though, maybe in time but he didn’t even get an all star nomination this year.

The Bandwagon crew wouldn’t know that though.