Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Waterford have some smashing hurlers. They could destroy us with long range point shooting.

Waterford have piano players.

Limerick have piano shifters.

1 Like

Yeah we won’t keep it pucked out to Waterford Sunday. Waterford will beat us a point a man.

Cian Lynch = Beethoven
Austin Gleeson = Frank McNamara

12 Likes

Oooft.

Football Championship starts this weekend; it’s our first ever game at Intermediate level, be interesting to see how we get on. I mean Galtee Gaels were only promoted the year before, it’s not as if they’re a side we haven’t come across before. I do think that we’ll need to seriously up our levels, especially training-wise to be properly competitive but we do have a fairly talented panel.

It’s the only football match I’ll get to this weekend but there are some other interesting ones; Ballylanders vs Ballysteen will be a grudge match after last year’s quarter-final and in such a tight group, the result could play a big part in who goes through. Adare vs Monaleen too should be a good contest.

Senior Football Championship Group 1
Friday March 29
Fr. Casey’s vs St. Senan’s @8pm in Mick Neville Park

Saturday March 30
Ballylanders vs Ballysteen @3pm in Kilmallock
Monaleen vs Adare @5pm in Ballybrown

Senior Football Championship Group 2
Saturday March 30
Oola vs Galbally @3pm in Hospital
Newcastlewest vs Drom/Broadford @5pm in Tournafulla

Tuesday April 2
Na Piarsaigh vs St. Kieran’s @8pm in Martinstown

Group 1 does look to be the tougher one on paper. Adare going for three-in-a-row but only beat Monaleen by a point in last year’s semi-final; they do have a serious coaching team though and I reckon they’ll want a good start. Casey’s have been kinda underwhelming in recent seasons, Senan’s have one of the Lavins in, and reckon they should be better than last year’ss. Ballylanders were last year’s beaten county finalists but might not even get out of the group. Will the additional TFK influence see the Ballysteen boys go further this year? Certainly will be up for the game against Ballylanders and fancy them to get the win.

Galbally are the promoted side, they’re up against an Oola side who only won one game last year. None of the hurlers are lining out for Oola apparently, Galbally aren’t the most exciting team in the world but do have some handy players, I think they might get off to a good start. Jerome Stack is over NCW this year, and I reckon they’ll beat Copper Pipe’s boys.

The Na Piarsaigh match has been put back to Tuesday because of the hurling, so obviously expect a couple of them to play, maybe Dempsey and one of the Caseys. Still reckon Kieran’s should win that.

I’m gonna go for:

Adare, Ballysteen, St. Senan’s, Galbally, NCW & St. Kieran’s.

1 Like

My sources tell me Senans are missing a good few this weekend so I’d expect Casey’s to get the win there

Intermediate Football Championship Group 1
Saturday March 30
Athea vs Rathkeale @3pm in Askeaton
Bruff vs Claughaun @5pm in Cappamore

Tuesday April 2
Pallasgreen vs St. Patrick’s @8pm in Martinstown (are there 2 matches down for the same time in the same venue?)

Intermediate Football Championship Group 2
Friday March 29
Glin vs Gerald Griffins @8pm in Mountcollins

Saturday March 30
Kildimo/Pallaskenry vs Galtee Gaels @3pm in Bruff
Mungret vs Mountcollins @5pm in the Bog Garden

Rathkeale will be kicking themselves that they didn’t go up last year; they really should have. I believe they’re missing both Paul White & Sean Sheahan, who are class club players, but even still, I’d expect them to get a win first day out. They should be challenging for promotion again. Bruff were very poor last year but turned out well in the relegation final, still think Claughaun should beat them.

Pats vs Pallasgreen will both need their hurlers, big players for them; I still don’t really know how Pats managed to get relegated. There was awful trouble at a relegation match (I think) between these sides a few years back- a few red cards, and Malachy ended up with a very bad injury. Pats should win though if they have close to a full-strength team.

In the other group, I have no idea how we’ll get in but I am looking forward to it at the same time. I think Gerald Griffins should have too much for Glin tonight; I reckon Stevie Cahill will be a big loss for Mountcollins too and Mungret might just get over them.

I’ll go for:

Rathkeale, Claughaun, St. Pat’s, Gerald Griffins & Mungret.

Claughan are flying it in the league so I’d expect them to be plenty good for Bruff.

Abbeyfeale 0-9 to 0-3 up on Foynes after 20 minutes.

Flanagan dropped?

He didn’t start the last day

5 Likes

Out of favour so?? If the championship started next week would he be on the bench? I felt Mulcahy would be the one to miss out

Mulcahy was arguably HOTY last year, certainly a top 3 contender. He was never going to be dropped.

It would be Casey to drop out I’d imagine. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Flanagan start Sunday in any case.

Mulcahy was superb last week. If Kiely had any thoughts that maybe he’d drop him, Mulcahy give a fairly good answer.

As did Flanagan off the bench tbf, he was excellent.

Tis a long way to Championship yet. Mulcahy wasn’t a starter this time last year.

I don’t think he’s as good as Casey and Gillane is indispensable, some fellas would have you believe that Flanagan is vital to the game plan, no disrespect to Mulcahy but I thought, still think he’s vulnerable

Kiely doesn’t do dummy teams. The team named will start.

1 Like

Disageee with you there pal. Mulcahys jersey was under pressure last week v Dublin, and he came up trumps. He was outstanding. Flanagan and P Casey…its a great debate from a Limerick perspective. I’d have picked Flanagan myself but P Casey could v well do real damage on Sunday.