Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

They do a lot of stuff in Rathkeale. We were out there for an U-21 match and there were a couple of groups out there that evening.

1 Like

I havent heard anything negative about it to be honest.

It runs consistently every Saturday and they seem to have good coaches at all levels but their biggest problem when it comes to being competitive with other counties is that the better dual players will invariably opt for hurling.

I was in Mick Neville one morning and the u15 trials were going on. Must have been at least 70 there. Also they open up the squads to new players every year to try and catch any late developers etc.

4 Likes

Excellent news. We should really be a top ten county in football.

We can play it when we feel like it. Not very often thankfully

1 Like

Was Mick ok with this?

6 Likes

9/11 on the prediction front for last week including a clean sweep in the Intermediate.

Senior Football Championship Group 1
Friday April 5
Adare vs Fr. Casey’s @8pm in Mick Neville
Ballysteen vs Monaleen @8pm in Martinstown

Saturday April 6
St. Senan’s vs Ballylanders @5.30pm in Bruff

Senior Football Championship Group 2
Friday April 5
Drom/Broadford vs Oola @6.30pm in Kilmallock

Saturday April 6
St. Kieran’s vs Newcastlewest @6.30pm in Knockaderry

Sunday April 7
Galbally vs Na Piarsaigh @6pm in Bruff

Couple of very interesting matches in the senior this week. Three games on the Friday night, 2 in Group 1. Adare started the season very well again with a good win over Monaleen; Casey’s had a big win over an (apparently) under-strength St. Senan’s. You’d have to fancy Adare in that one though. Ballysteen hammered Ballylanders but Monaleen is a completely different test and one that will really show where they’re at. A win would be huge, but similarly, I don’t think Monaleen can afford to lose two on the bounce. Likely to be very close but, by all accounts, Ballysteen were flying last week and I think they might edge it. Senan’s & Ballylanders had bad starts last week, I’ll tip Bally to get over this one.

Drom suffered a bad loss to NCW, while Oola banged in five goals against Galbally. I still think D/B have enough about them to get a win in this one. The tie of the round is probably Kieran’s vs the townies in Knockaderry on Saturday, both had excellent wins first day out. Limerick GAA TV obviously agree with them as this is being broadcast live. I watched the second half of the Kieran’s game and they looked very impressive but NCW are motoring nicely too, and I’m going to go with a narrow victory for them. Already, it would look like there’s a decent chance that the loser of Galbally vs NaP could be in the relegation final; I think Galbally might sneak a win.

So that’s Adare, Ballysteen, Ballylanders, Drom/Broadford, Newcastlewest, Galbally

Intermediate Football Championship Group 1
Saturday April 6
Claughaun vs Pallasgreen @3pm in Caherconlish
Rathkeale vs Bruff @6pm in Claughaun
St. Patrick’s vs Athea @6pm in Askeaton

Intermediate Football Championship Group 2
Sunday April 7
Galtee Gaels vs Mungret @6pm in Kilmallock
Gerald Griffins vs Kildimo/Pallaskenry @6pm in Askeaton
Glin vs Mountcollins @6pm in Athea

In Group 1, it’s very hard not to see Rathkeale & St. Pat’s winning and they are the two strong favourites for promotion at this stage. Claughaun got a win the first day, while Pallasgreen lost narrowly to Pat’s in what would look to be the most interesting clash in that group. It’s likely to be very close, maybe even a draw, but I’ll go for Pallasgreen.

In the second group, Galtee Gaels and Mungret both got wins and if they get another, could have one foot in the knockouts. I was impressed with Galtee Gaels and I’m going to go with them for the win. We’re up against Gerald Griffin’s who had a 21-point victory. They beat us by 2 in the junior semi-final of 2016 and it was a very even game but you’d have to make them strong favourites for this one. In the depths of West Limerick, Glin take on Mountcollins after two disappointing results. I reckon Glin, despite the beating last week, might sneak this one.

Going for Pallasgreen, Rathkeale, St. Patrick’s, Galtee Gaels & Glin.

3 Likes

No mention of the third round of Premier Intermediate Hurling fixtures in the April fixture list sent out by Spike.

Courtesy of Oddschecker

Drom Broadford 6/4
Oola 4/5
Draw 15/2

Adare 8/15
Fr Caseys 2/1
Draw 15/2

Monaleen 4/7
Ballysteen 15/8
Draw 15/2

Ballylanders 4/6
St Senans 13/8
Draw 13/2

NCW 2/5
St Kierans 9/4
Draw 8/1

Na Piarsaigh 8/13
Galbally 13/8
Draw 13/2

Drom vs Oola is now part of a double header with Ballysteen/Monaleen in Martinstown tonight.

Christ how far have Drom fallen since the days of winning the Munster club.

1 Like

They never really had a football tradition until a real golden generation came on board around 2000 . They will struggle now going forward .

Drom would be a hurling club. Even at the height of their dominance they’d have had more supporters at a hurling game.

1 Like

They were never going to be able to keep things going and did incredibly well to eek every ounce of success out of that group of players.

The annexing of Feenagh and a couple of other places helped to paper over the cracks for a couple of years but they will struggle now. They havent had much success underage over the past 7 or 8 years.

That was some team Stack,Stokes,Reidy,Buckley, Noonan. As ye said a golden generation.

Tom McLoughlin, Donnelly, Lynch
Great players. And no shit with them either.

Tom McLoughlin aswell, serious footballer.

That must be throwing in at what 6?

Half 6. Other game on at 8

Very early for lads to get out from work in time.

Our two intermediate hurling championship in April are both fixed for Friday’s at 6.30pm, next week and the week after.

A dose for those working until 5pm/5.30pm or working in Dublin, away in college etc.