Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Galtee Gaels played in that combo too .

3 Likes

Border country

It was a combo of galtee gaels, garryspillane and ballylanders driven by the Jap.

Galtee gaels were inter at the time and also had a few years senior before then. They had the best players on the team including john quane.

I reckon it only lasted two or three years. Garryspillane formally joined in with galbally after that and ballylanders started the rise from junior to senior in 1993.

Hospital lost 4 finals on the 90s including 91 92 & 93

4 Likes

Rathkeale 4-21 Bruff 0-1

Thought it was a typo when I first saw it, but apparently that was the actual final score.

1 Like
1 Like

Askeaton held a coaching course recently and there was a lad from Athea there and he told me they were going starting hurling underage. Fair play to them.
They are gone to fuck at football anyway may as well try the hurling

2 Likes

Our u16 team short a few beat their minors on Friday night.

Best of luck to them with it but I’d have my doubts that this will last. They’re struggling hugely to get enough numbers for their underage football teams. They’ll get no numbers from Abbeyfeale because Templeglantine have that well sewn up and are basically operating a de facto amalgamation whereby young lads from Abbeyfeale are hurling with Templeglantine and young lads from Templeglantine kicking ball with Abbeyfeale. Tough work getting a sport like hurling up and running, much easier to do with Football. The costs of running underage hurling compared to a football club are huge.

Have to start somewhere. Hopefully they get plenty of support as well. Is there just no one living in Athea or what’s going on?

1 Like

Only 7/11, late scores for Claughaun & Mungret helped me get those 2 wrong.

Adare 0-12 Fr. Casey’s 1-5
Ballysteen 2-9 Monaleen 0-7
Ballylanders 1-15 St. Senan’s 0-12

2 from 2 for both Adare & Ballysteen, and you’d have to fancy both to reach the knockouts. The match between the two should be a cracker. Ballylanders off the mark now after their opening week hammering. Be some battle between themselves, Casey’s & Monaleen, who would be the strongest of the three on paper, for the last spot. Senan’s will be doing well to get anything from their last three matches, probably the three toughest.

Oola 3-15 Drom/Broadford 0-12
Newcastlewest 2-15 St. Kieran’s 1-6
Na Piarsaigh 3-15 Galbally 0-9

Got 2 results badly wrong here, and both sides hit 3-15. Oola just seemed to have too much for Drom/Broadford and they’ve already got more poins on the board than last year. Na Piarsaigh beating Galbally by so much is a bit of a surprise, I’m not sure if they had many new players from last week, but Galbally will be very disappointed by that. Having lost to arguably 2 of the weaker teams in the group, they could be facing a relegation play-off. NCW were hugely impressive in the win over Kieran’s, they’ll have a right oul crack off the county title this year.

Adare, Ballysteen, NCW leading the way so far.

Claughaun 2-9 Pallasgreen 1-10
Rathkeale 4-21 Bruff 0-1
St. Patrick’s 1-11 Athea 0-11

Claughaun, Rathkeale & St. Pat’s all on 4 from 4. Pallasgreen will feel particularly aggrieved after Claughaun’s last minute (dodgy) goal; that’s a big blow with Rathkeale still to play. The Rathkeale result still looks like a misprint, Bruff must be in an awful way. Athea are a bit unlucky to be in such a tough group but should have way too much for Bruff when it comes to it.

Glin 1-12 Mountcollins 1-9
Gerald Griffins 1-11 Kildimo/Pallaskenry 0-12
Galtee Gaels 1-9 Mungret 1-9

We are absolutely sickened after today. Griffins coming in off a 21-point victory over Glin, we were missing 7 starters from last weekend, although we had Kyle back. Still, we should have held on. Peter Nash kicked 6 from play, Darren O’Connell hit 4 from play but we fucking had them and let it slip. I don’t know if they underestimated us or what but they weren’t very impressive at all. If we had even one more forward from last week, I’d say we might have sneaked it. But that’s no use to us now.

Mungret drew with Galtee Gaels, both are in a decent position to join Griffins heading into the break. Mountcollins’ loss to Glin probably means it’s between us and them for the relegation play-off. Today’s performance will give us some encouragement alright that all the remaining teams are beatable.

1 Like

How were you missing 7 starters?

Congrats on the feile win

If they are minors from Athea, Friday night, most of them were in a pub

Galbally seem to be really struggling with the step up. Suprised by that. Most of the teams that come up do ok for a year or two at least.

Population wouldn’t be huge and secondly the soccer club is king in Athea

Don’t talk to me, combination of various things- injury, work, fellas away. Bit of a disaster tbh, and very tough on those who did tog out.

Feile win is huge for us. We’ve had plenty of good underage teams in the past but very few have competed at the top grade. To actually win it is massive, some going.

1 Like

I was in Galbally Saturday evening at an underage match. Talking to a man he said they were missing 6 against Oola and would be missing 8 against NAP.

They possibly got promoted a couple of years too soon in that they will have some very strong players coming out of their underage setup over the next few years.

Eoin O’Mahony who is a serious footballer is out injured. I actually saw their starting lineup and I didn’t think there was that many missing but you’re putting yourself on the back foot straight away.

They are down 4 starters if you include O’Mahony as he is now eligible to play senior this year.

Sure they are shite at soccer as well. On their way back to division 2 as it stands

The Gaelic Grounds is to be renamed as the LIT Gaelic Grounds, starting from May of this year.

The first partnership of its kind in Ireland, it is being positioned as a legacy of Limerick’s historic 2018 All-Ireland Senior Hurling title, and will include:

• Dedicated scholarship scheme for Limerick GAA Club members to attend LIT;
  • Limerick GAA internships and work experience for LIT students in sports coaching, event management, marketing and other areas;
  • LIT support for Limerick GAA clubs;
  • Use of LIT campus facilities by Limerick GAA teams and administration;
  • Use of the grounds as a “Living Lab” for LIT students for educational and other purposes;
  • Re-naming of the Gaelic Grounds to LIT Gaelic Grounds.