Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

I expect to feature prominently in this publication😉

1 Like

yerra we did our 50 year book 40 years ago.

7 Likes

Isn’t that you on the cover?

I can confirm that it is.

The 100 year one will be a whopper. Half of South Limerick in it.

Took ye 44 years to write it, must of been some book!

There was all kinds of teams until the 20s/30s. Ballingaddy and Knocsouna had their own teams.

1 Like

shure ye won nothing until around 1990 bar a small bit underage.

We were all football in the early years. Took a few Clare and Tipp men to turn the tide.

I seriously love this time of year, first round of the hurling Championship; there’s a definite buzz about the place, people looking forward to the new season. Can’t wait to be quite honest

Senior Hurling Championship Group 1
Saturday April 13
Kilmallock (2/7) vs Adare (11/4) @6pm in Bruff

Sunday April 14
South Liberties (9/1) vs Na Piarsaigh (1/33) @2pm in Mungret
Patrickswell (evs) vs Doon (evs) @2.30pm in Kilmallock

In the “Senior A” group, you would be expecting the same 4 teams to make the knockouts again; there would appear to be a bit of a gap. Na Piarsaigh & Patrickswell have new management teams who they’d be hoping will improve them. And you’d be surprised if South Liberties didn’t go back down; they did well to go up in the first place but you’d imagine they’d have to beat Adare to stay up there, while Adare themselves will be looking to close the gap to the top 4. Both those have changes in the backroom too, Brian Foley replaces the Sparrow while Pat Donnelly is in with the clique, Ger Downes gone after getting them promoted.

For the weekend, the standout match is obviously the Well vs Doon and it is televised as a result. Doon beat them twice last year and Carey will be looking to amend that. I think they might just get the win this time. It’s almost impossible to see Na Piarsaigh not beating Liberties but will be interesting to see how they look under Mick Church. You’d fancy Kilmallock to beat Adare too.

Senior Hurling Championship Group 2
Friday April 12
Monaleen (11/10) vs Ahane (10/11) @6.30pm in Claughaun
Ballybrown (1/4) vs Knockainey (3/1) @6.30pm in Bruff

Sunday April 14
Murroe/Boher (1/2) vs Garryspillane (7/4) @2pm in Caherconlish

In reality, the other group is much more interesting, should be as cut-throat as last year. Ballybrown will be disappointed to have slipped down and have Darrell Tucker in as coach. But then, Murroe/Boher only didn’t go up on score difference last year while Ahane & Monaleen were there or thereabouts. Garryspillane were Premier champions and are a coming team having won two minor titles in a row- with the Sheehans, O’Shea, Tobin, O’Mahony, Heavey, Quinlan joining the likes of Jim-Bob and Donie. Can Knockainey stay up again?

First day out, it’s always hard to tell but I reckon Monaleen will get the win over Ahane, they play a decent brand of hurling. I heard that Knockainey are in a bit of a mess, Tommy Guilfoyle came in as coach but is gone already (I haven’t had that verified) but I’d fancy Ballybrown there. Saw Murroe/Boher and wasn’t overly impressed; Galbally were missing a few for the football, dunno if Garryspillane are too… it’s a repeat of the 2017 Premier Intermediate final and Murroe/Boher were definitely the better team then, but the Bouncers have definitely added to their team; I think they might grind out a win.

Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship
Friday April 12
Bruree (2/1) vs Kildimo/Pallaskenry (2/5) @6.30pm in Mick Neville Park

Saturday April 13
Dromin/Athlacca (8/11) vs Bruff (11/10) @6pm in Kilmallock
Pallasgreen (10/11) vs Blackrock (evs) @6.30pm in Hospital

Sunday April 14
Mungret (4/6) vs Cappamore (5/4) @6.30pm in Claughaun

The second most box office competition in the country after the West Championship. In the end, last year, four teams comfortably made the semis but there was a serious dogfight in the relegation battle and Feohanagh went down, which would have been a surprise at the start of the year. With Dromin/Athlacca & Cappamore involved this year, Blackrock rejuvenated under Jimmy Quilty and Bruree & Pallasgreen with a couple of players back, it should be even more competitive.

We play Bruree tonight; it was one we won well last year but they were down to 14 men for a long time… we’ve 2 Bruree men on the sideline and no Kyle Hayes so Bruree will be well up for it. Pallasgreen vs Blackrock will be interesting; this was the game Richie Mac did his cruciate in last year, and he’s still out. Pallasgreen kinda meandered through Championship last year, picking up 3 draws… never in danger of relegation really but never set the world alight. I reckon they’ll be hungry but by all accounts, Blackrock are going very well and I fancy them. Bruff were county finalists last year and you’d have thought they’d be favourites against D/A but again, apparently they’re struggling for numbers. D/A are a good outfit and I think they might get a win here. Mungret, even without Paul O’Brien, should probably get a win against Cappamore although Cappamore will be there or thereabouts.

Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 1
Saturday April 13
Knockaderry (5/4) vs Feohanagh (4/6) @6pm in Newcastlewest

Sunday April 14
Croom (8/13) vs Tournafulla (5/4) @2pm in the Bog Garden

Monday April 15
Na Piarsaigh (8/13) vs Newcastlewest (11/8) @6.45pm in Croagh

The Intermediate groups are arguably a bit more even this year. While you’d probably fancy Feohanagh & Croom to make the quarters here, any of the other 4 could make the knockouts or be in a relegation play-off. It’s hard to say this far out but should be interesting this year.

A big clash in the West on Saturday, Feohanagh just down, Knockaderry have been up and down in recent years. You’d have to say that having someone like Flanagan gives Feohanagh a big edge; I wonder will Knockaderry use Condon to mark him or will they use O’Callaghan or someone? Tour back at this level, they were definitely the best junior team last year, be interesting to see how Shaughs gets on at this level, without Stevie Cahill. Croom were down a bit for a few years but county finalists last year and they seem well-organised, and you’d have to fancy them against the newcomers. NCW boys bigging up their chances in the hurling, although I feel like I hear that every year; again NaP depends on how many players are used by the seniors; Beary barely used any… I think NCW might sneak this.

Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 2
Friday April 12
St. Patrick’s (6/4) vs Granagh/Ballingarry (4/6) @6.30pm in Ballybrown

Saturday April 13
Hospital/Herbertstown (11/10) vs Drom/Broadford (8/11) @4pm in Kilfinane
Glenroe (8/11) vs Effin (5/4) @4.15pm in Kilmallock

Much like last year, you would fancy G/B, Glenroe & Effin to come out of this group but Effin were almost caught by NaP last year. Apparently G/B have been struggling at times this season; even though they have superior players, Pats could cause them a bit of bother if Hego is at the top of his game. I’m going to hesitantly tip them. I’ve heard H/H are doing much better so far this year and should have much for D/B who stayed up after that crazy relegation final last year. Glenroe are the same as ever, will be good in the groups but disappointed in the knockouts again; I reckon they’ll beat Effin first day out though.

So:

Kilmallock, Na Piarsaigh, Patrickswell, Monaleen, Ballybrown, Garryspillane
Blackrock, Dromin/Athlacca, Mungret
Feohanagh, Croom, NCW, St. Pat’s, Hospital/Herbertstown, Glenroe

11 Likes

And a Kilkenny man!

Tour went up with a very strong team wouldn’t be surprised to see them straight into contention at intermediate.

Are a few departed . Inter 2 isn’t a great standard.

Noel Drumgoole might disagree.

Just back from Clarina.

Nick Grene Sportsground Maintenance Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 2 Round 1 Result. (NGSMIHCG2R1R)

Pats 2-10 G/B 1-13.

No further comment. Off out for pints.

5 Likes

Hope Hego got through it in one piece

You upset with that result

How many men finished the game for Pallas?

Edit : it says Pats my bad !

Kildimo/Pallaskenry 1-15 Bruree 0-9.

Not a pretty game, a late goal from Darren O’Connell put a bit of gloss on the scoreline. Pitch was not in good condition at all, was a proper battle as you’d expect with Bruree. We probably always found the scores that bit easier and it told in the end. Our backs were good throughout, Cían Hayes probably the standout; Darren O’Connell hit 1-2, Liam Griffin 0-9 including 0-3 from play. Kieran O’Dea and Kieran O’Rourke good for Bruree, flashes from James Vincent O’Brien too. Good to get off to a good start.

Ballybrown 1-23 Knockainey 0-13
Monaleen 1-17 Ahane 0-17

Ballybrown win as expected, huge win for Monaleen over Ahane, that’ll push them on nicely for a place in the knockouts.

1 Like

How did ‘Kyler, yhoty 2018’ play?