Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

The final was an outlier. We didn’t score goals like that in any of the other games really. We created plenty of chances and I’d say between Flanagan and Gillane they missed possibly 6 guilt edge chances in the Kilkenny and cork games. We didn’t create too many chances in the Munster phase.

That is a bit of a myth
If you look at the Munster champs over the last 6 years :

2013 - became a circus
2014 - cork win but were hammered by a far superior team that slipped up in ‘munster M
2015 - Tipp : unlucky v a Galway team to whom they were well matched
2016 - Tipp win A
2017 - cork going well but had a man sent off that had a huge bearing
2018 - cork looked home and hosed with 10 to go but events and maybe lack of depth conspired .

You’re right. Limerick remind me of Liverpool FC. The success last year was based on a spoiling, defensive, destructive half forward line that prevented the opposition from gaining any foothold or launching attacks. Much like Liverpool’s destructive, maniacal pressing and tackling in their midfield. Scores were created through tackling and turnovers by both sides. Any fall off in that and the whole thing will break down.

1 Like

It’s very different with the new system. Playing 4 tough games and then facing into a Munster final is tough. I think finishing 3rd with little hype is perfect. You come into 1/4 very fresh against a time who’ve lost a final which is the ideal scenario imo.

I agree to a point. I’d hope the brains trust have realised this and tailored the game plan accordingly. Possibly putting Gillane at 14 and starting the Dow would give limerick a more dynamic feel and allow us to create more chances easier. I do not believe last years plan will work this year.

:smile:

Dowling be gone after this year maybe next year, might want the 3rd.

I’d say Dowling will hang on as long as possibles. Strikes me as the type that’ll want to go into the media. So the big bigger profile your career is the better with regards that.

Yes, you are much better finishing third. Look at wexford, finished third last year, avoiding the hype of a leinster final and then they went on to hammer Clare in the All Ireland quarter final

1 Like

Leinster championship is not the Munster championship. You’ll have at most 3 tough games and one gimme. It’s much easier.

I’d go all out for a munster title if I was Kiely. Don’t back down to anybody. If we did win it then the all Ireland semi final and possibly final would take care of itself

2 Likes

The whole team will want to win Munster. They want to win everything.

Except we actually won the title.

6 Likes

You play one less game overall if you get to the Munster Final (Barring replays). Which has to be an advantage

The proof is in the pudding but I wouldn’t be the slightest bit surprised if Galway were happy to finish 3rd in Leinster. The replays are a killer too. You’ve 3 knock out games spaced 2/3 weeks apart and that’s almost perfect. Not too long a break/not too short a break.

Why would Galway want to finish third in leinster? You just said that finishing third doesn’t apply to leinster because it’s much easier with at most 3 tough games?

I’d say after the replay v kk and Clare they’ll want to be as fresh as possible. Leinster is meaningless to them. Wexford are not all Ireland contenders and are miles of the standard. Their season was over once they didn’t qualify for a Leinster final. The 5 Munster counties could easily win an all Ireland this year.

Well in fairness last year didn’t do them any favours with facing Kk twice clare twice but they should have been good enough either way.

movingposts

If Galway hadnt drawn with kk and Clare they’d have been a much tougher team to beat in the final. Gaa teams simply aren’t used to playing so many games in such a short period of time. Limerick v Clare another example. It takes its toll on players.

1 Like