Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Interesting take from Henry Martin on twitter. We didn’t learn one thing from the league which is a total disaster. Learning from your defeats is a key part to being successful. Cork bringing back in Ellis and Walsh worked well but this only came from a defeat. Likewise in ennis last year we dropped Dowling and restored Gillane, Flanagan and Graeme. We learned from our defeat. It’s tricky to pinpoint exactly where things went wrong Casey and hannon were ruthlessly targeted. Would bringing in maybe will o donoghue for Dan morrissey had some pace and aggression? I’m not sure. From 8-15 we’ve little options. Bringing in the Dow maybe at 11 and shift Hayes to the wing or something. The obvious change is bringing in Flanagan for Casey and putting Gillane back in the corner. Now Seamus is injured so I don’t no what you’d do. I’m really concerned after rewatching the tape as we totally fizzled out in the second half. We looked tired almost. If we beat Waterford and Waterford lose to cork I think we’ve to gain a minimum of 3 points from 4 v tipp and Clare. That’s going to be a very tough task.

Flanagan done his hammy - out for 4-6 weeks.

Going hell for leather in the league was the big mistake.

1 Like

I don’t think they did really tbh. They couldn’t have tbh. They beat Laois, Waterford and Dublin to win it. If they played those 3 teams next they’d win them again imo. I just think they found nothing. Which is a concern. If you listened to some people on here the bench won the all Ireland for limerick last year yet not one of them were able to push into the starting 15 bar Casey and he was probably only on the bench because he was injured.

Limericks lack of pace in the half back line was exposed badly yesterday. The full back line were under huge pressure particularly in the second half. The quality of ball delivered into the Cork full forward line was top drawer throughout the game. Paddy O’Loughlin and Shane Dowling should be in the starting fifteen for the Waterford game. Even though he wasn’t part of the matchday panel yesterday, I still think the forgotten man of Limerick hurling Kevin Downes has something to offer to this team. Conor Boylan’s ability to win primary possession from a puckout would have been very useful yesterday and he should at least make the matchday panel for the Waterford game.

1 Like

If that happens it stinks of total disarray and desperation imo Downes has never been good enough and boylan got a good few chances in the league but struggled to make an impact after the kk game. Dowling was so poor from the bench it’s hard to justify starting him but he’s really the only option. I’d have WOD ahead of POL. I Would add pat ryan back In for his pace.

1 Like

Henry is right . As I said before Limerick had a poor league .

I still think Boylan is a nice find, he will provide more than David Reidy. Is ALTC not good enough or what, he’s always been very promising. Also, I would have liked to have seen Barry Nash come on as well,

Boylan In the long term will be a good option.

1 Like

Me too, we have a wealth of talent coming through it’s just many of them aren’t there yet as a senior starter. But then again, because the starting 15 were so good last year, it’s very difficult to beat them to a place

I’m surprised Nash is still making the bench. He has done nothing of note when he’s seen game time since he left the panel that time about three years ago when he was looking our best man for full forward at the time. He never refound that form and confidence. He must be doing something right in training that he’s still in match day squads. I guess helps that he could be put into various positions.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mike Casey dropped for the next game. Maybe Finn shuffled into full back and someone else in at corner back. Is Willie O’Meara our only feasible stand in corner back now? I haven’t seen enough of him but it’s worrying he has seen so little game time.

Paddy O’Loughlin is a good bit of stuff, I would like to see him brought in the next day and one of the half back line dropped, just to be seen to be making changes and kicking fellas up the arse.

Peter Casey I suspect will be benched and with Flanagan injured it looks like we will see a new face. I doubt Pat Ryan will be brought in. Maybe Dowling and rejig other positions to get him in. Or maybe it’s now or never for Nash. In to corner forward in place of Casey?

It was a high tackle and whether there was big force or not it was a free which was not given.
Cork were getting nothing from Paud and rightly lost the rag on the line.

I’d say the fact they have to win means they haven’t the luxury of making changes like they had in Ennis last year tbf.

Look what happened to Mick Church last year making a raft of changes, it backfired spectacularly and they were gone before the show could be saved.

Don’t know what game you were watching, I was at it and Cork were getting soft frees all over the pitch. There was even Cork people around us acknowledged it. Perhaps your biasness against Limerick is clouding your judgement here?

Watch it back, mate. I’m calling it square here. Cork were definitely on the wrong side of many calls.

A look at, at the end of the day it wasn’t any refereeing decisions that bate us.

It didn’t say it was.

Genuinely though Cork got the raw end from the ref.

Think it can be very difficult to tell at the ground though, without the benefit of replays. A friend texted me from Semple yesterday at half time to say that he thought the ref was very unfair towards Tipp at this stage , whereas I probably thought the opposite (e.g. Barrett should have been booked earlier etc)

Was it Mulcahy or Hegarty that made the borderline red card tackle in first half ?

Hegarty.
The fact that Cork retaliated with a dig probably saved him

I’d say so. We’ve seen a few reds in those situations in last few years