Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Limerick Intermediate hurling team v Clare Announced:
Manager Don Flynn has released is team and panel for their opening Munster Intermediate championship game against Clare on this Sunday afternoon. The starting fifteen and match day panel is as follows:
1.Brian Murray (Patrickswell), 2. Seán Finn (Bruff), 3. Barry O’Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), 4. Mike Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca), 5. Denis Moloney (Doon), 6. Diarmuid Byrnes (Patrickswell), 7. Barry Lynch (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), 8. Robert O’Donnell (Pallasgreen), 9.Andrew Brennan (Caherline), 10. Kevin O’Brien (Patrickswell), 11. William Hickey (South Liberties), 12. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell), 13. Willie Griffin (Adare)(Captain), 14. Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh/Castlemahon) and 15. Mikey Ryan (Murroe-Boher).

1. David McCarthy (Glenroe), 17. Tommy Quaid (Effin), 18. Cathal McNamara (Doon), 19. Mike Fitzgerald (Doon), 20. John Ryan (Cappamore), 21. Richie English (Doon), 22. Darragh O’Donovan (Doon), 23. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen) & 24. Gary Murphy (Caherline). I think 5 will be involved on Sunday. The senior squad that day: LIMERICK: Barry Hennessy; Stephen Walsh, Richie McCarthy, Seamus Hickey; Tom Condon, Gavin O’Mahony, Seánie O’Brien; Paudie O’Brien, James Ryan; Paul Browne, Declan Hannon, Donal O’Grady; Cian Lynch, Shane Dowling, Graeme Mulcahy
    Subs: Seánie Tobin for Donal O’Grady (55), Dan Morrissey for Stephen Walsh (63), Wayne McNamare for Seamus Hickey, John Fitzgibbon for James Ryan (both 66), Kevin Downes for Paul Browne (71).

Limerick fans as bad as munster rugby. Can’t even sell out their allocation for Sunday.

Was that the day O’Donnell got sent off? Himself and Brennan is a very combative midfield! :smiley:

Strong team though.

I think so. Mike reidy had a fine came that day too I think. I remember him being very good at that level.

He probably wouldn’t be that far off being good enough now. Solid out.

He’s a really lovely hurler to watch. One of the best readers of the game I’ve seen in club action in Limerick. Sound chap too.

Completely agree with this

Can you post the article please, I refuse to give them cunts in the indo my email address

1 Like

Give em your work address.

They’ll get nothing off me. Not even my spam email address

Can you post the article ?

Limerick don’t have the best squad in Ireland. That’s complete bolox. We’re looking at Tom condon covering our full back line, o Loughlin a youngster who’s barely played league hurling, wod/henley are good options but are totally unproven. That’s our options 1-9. Our forwards are Dowling and Barry murphy. Murphy couldn’t even make the subs last year. The notion limerick have the best panel is totally bizarre. The only fella on the subs v cork that was proven at inter county level was Dowling and he can be very hit and miss. We have some potential on the bench but we are scratching around for options for the most part.

1 Like

who has a better bench?

Excellent piece . Limerick 5 in a row still nailed on

4 Likes

Phew. That was a scary week and a half

2 Likes

Here’s the most of it.

This spring, John Kiely and his backroom didn’t deviate much from the tried and trusted. Again, why would they? For the league semi-final, 12 of the All-Ireland final 15 were on duty. For the final that number was up to 13. For last week’s game, only Peter Casey had managed to alter their thinking as he was chosen ahead of Seamus Flanagan.

The natural temptation for the Limerick management will be to place trust in the vast majority of those same players just two weeks later, given how far they have come together in the last 12 months.

But if this was a pre-2018 qualifier and not a second-round provincial round-robin game, a seven-point Munster Championship defeat would surely be prompting significant change.

If they cross codes and look at the Dublin footballers, who are now on a 29-match unbeaten championship run, team selection has rarely been as predictable. Even as champions, Dublin are always seeking to shake up personnel.

The question, in Limerick’s case, is who can make it better.

Limerick have the best squad in the game. The trouble for them in the Gaelic Grounds the last day was how indifferent, for once, the impact off their bench was. Casey was first off last week, restoring the All-Ireland final 15 for a brief period.

He was one of four forwards whipped off as they scored 1-7 from play, 1-4 from Graeme Mulcahy.

Last year replacements contributed 5-16 to their cumulative scoring effort in eight games compared to Galway’s 1-12 in nine games. In the semi-final against Cork, albeit with 20 minutes of extra-time, they hit 2-6.

Casey didn’t score but his contribution around the pitch otherwise was immense. However, last Sunday week, none of those who came in registered.

Even in a game going away from them as it was, that registers as a concern.

At the Munster Championship launch earlier this month, Kiely reflected on the intensity of the schedule and ventured how their team selections could have stretched beyond 16 different starters.

“If I had any learning last year I think I could’ve used a few more players during the championship in that series of games,” he suggested.

That time may be upon him.

Cork anyway for sure.

It’s gonna be a rollercoaster 5 years buddy, stay calm and be grateful for these Ubermensch hurlers

flanagan was a sub the last day as well.
WOD can cover half back - you said the same when he came on down in cork last year.

We’ve Barry Murphy, Pat Ryan, Flanagan/Casey, Dowling, Dempsey, Boylan, Reidy all who made impacts off the bench last year in the forwards.

Colin Ryan got a load of time in the league and did very well.

You’re writing a lot of lads off after one game

Kiely is a very good spin doctor. He’s nearly used the same 19 or so players since the start of the 2018 Munster league where he can and people keep believing his quoted about squad depth.