Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Waterford were poor today, no doubt about that. Just a real lack of confidence & spirit, heads dropped so easily and then the frustration set in. I always thought that if we were in touch at half-time that we would go on and win; for them to allow us to go 6 points up against what was a very strong wind was simply inexcusable. They didn’t seem to have any puckout strategy- the first couple of bombs caused a bit of bother but we dealt with them well after that, and the touch of their backs was simply not good enough for short ones. Very little movement though. I felt sorry for the likes of Brick and Moran; they must be wondering how it’s come to this.

As for us, we worked very hard and that was a huge improvement on the last game. Our puckouts were also so much better and that gives you such a platform. I think the game was over by half-time, but Hegarty’s goal really killed it.

I thought Quaid was excellent with the puckouts, didn’t have any saves to make.

There has been criticism of the use of the ball by our full-back line at times but I thought Casey & English in particular were excellent on the ball (admittedly given a lot of time). Defensively all superb, but under very little pressure compared to the Cork game where they were all quite poor.

Some debut by Paddy O’Loughlin, laid down a marker. Big smiley head on him after he scored the first point, made clever support runs throughout. Morrissey very solid under the high ball this week, always smart in possession. Deccie classy & composed. Again though, not tested the way Cork did and Clare will bring something different.

You could argue that Lynch was quietish but still got through an amount of work. Will O’Donoghue is excellent at reading breaks, breaking a tackle and popping a handpass. Hurling is certainly not as sharp as DOD but when he keeps things simple, he’s very effective. In fairness to O’Donovan, he was excellent when he came on too.

Half-forward line were so much better, worked their socks off. Kyle & Hegarty were the two best players on the pitch, picked off 1-4 between them and won some amount of turnovers. Hegarty set up the first goal, but also won frees for our first two scores when we were really fighting against the wind. Kyle got on some amount of ball and just never stops. Morrissey was better too, I think, put in some big tackles. Dowling & Reidy both got some nice scores off the bench, Dowling nailed some big frees aswell.

Mulcahy didn’t score but I thought he was excellent. So busy, worked his socks off and set up some amount of scores. Gillane wasn’t unbelievable but did get out in front, got his goal and nailed his frees against the wind which was huge. Peter Casey lost the first couple of balls but once he got his first score, he settled, and was very busy after that. Barry Murphy did well when he came on too, real pity about his injury. Pat Simon only got a handful of minutes, think he got one ball.

Good win, in fairness but a lot to do.

6 Likes

It’s a show Of petulance imo from Dowling and he should cut it out. He hit one wide in ennis last year and it was simply stupid. Just hit the ball over the bar. I don’t get it at all. Give the umpires zero chance to fuck up too.

1 Like

Was peter Casey’s point near the end of the first half some sort of banana shot? It’s hard to spot on tv but he looks like he intentionally cut the ball as he was striking it. A beautiful score.

:smile:

:rollseyes: and at 2am :smile:

Petulance :joy:

Can you explain why he intentionally blasts the ball extremely high for no apparent reason and to do it he totally breaks from his usually strike which is really good? Does he think people are impressed he can hit the ball really high? He got his wake up call in ennis last year to cut that nonsense out.

Don’t think that one in ennis was directly in front of goals on 21 last year.
It was just a fuck up like the whole day, he’s human.

If he strikes it like he usually does he scores 1000/1000. Doing that nonsense of trying to impress people by hitting it really high his odds of missing one crumble. The umpires are incompetent anyway so give them no excuses. He should be like a caged bull trying to do everything to get back into that team. He’s a poor record v Clare and next week is a huge opportunity to set the record straight.

P Horgan also does this since forever and a day.

Apple’s new line of attack at Dowling is blaming him for an umpire calling a pointed free wide :smile:

I think it’s done to confuse, whack it as high as you can and the umpires can’t really see and just award the point.

I’ve never seen anyone do what Dowling did yesterday, other than maybe Dowling.

He had a bit of banter with Fergal Horgan after he sent it to orbit.

Then you haven’t been paying attention to Pat Horgan. He hits the ball very very high when striking it.

The Dow just likes blasting sliotars out of the ground so that young fellas can find them and use them to practice their skills.

3 Likes

I can’t believe this is even being discussed. The trajectory of a mans frees.

No mention of the 2 he hit over the blackspot from inside his own 45 of course. Or the absolute beauty from play. Some lads are always looking for ways to cut into their own

11 Likes

He was brilliant when he came on.

The trajectory of Shane Dowling’s frees is a disgrace. He needs to be removed from the panel for that close in one he blasted out of the stand. Completely unacceptable

2 Likes

He’s very civic minded in that regard. Helping out the lads playing gates.